The Kindred

Discussion in 'General' started by chrishicks, Feb 28, 2003.

1. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

anyone remember this movie from around '86? It stars Rod Stieger and Kim Hunter.
    Would anyone like to see this released on DVD at some time? I was cleaning out some old VHS tapes and came across it. I'll have to watch it later as I don't remember to much about it. What are your opinions on this movie?

2. I have not seen this movie for several years, but I remember it being pretty good. I really liked Amanda Pays at the time!

I should probably dig out the old Laserdisc and give it aonther viewing myself! :D

3. frightfan

frightfan New Member

LD???

You have this movie on laser??? You should do a review for this site :) I love this movie. Saw when I was about 12/13 years old and actually wrote myself a sequel to it in grade 10... long since lost, don't ask :(

I would love to see some screens of anything related to "The Kindred"... the forum here sends me notices of replies, so please, lemme know whatcha got :)

4. lakini71

lakini71 New Member

I've always been a huge fan of The Kindred. I feel it's never gotten the praise it deserves. Sure, some scenes may steal from "Aliens," but overall it's a good fright flick with a cool story and effects. I'd love it if this one came to DVD!

5. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I've always liked THE KINDRED, I still have my Vestron VHS that I picked up at a used video sale years ago. THE KINDRED has some creepy moments, especially the opening scenes. The cast is also great with Rod Steiger, Kim Hunter, Timothy Gibbs, and Amanda Pays being the standouts in the film. I'll have to watch this film again, since it's been a few years since I've seen it, but it's always been a favorite of mine.

6. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

I liked the film too, but I never figured out what happens to amanda pays character.

SPOILER ALERT

Why did she turn into a fish?

7. frightfan

frightfan New Member

Why not? hehe jk

hemosynin, the agent/chemical/hormone/protein or whatever it is that is the catalyst for the events in the movie, was derived from creatures of the sea. Just before the special fx kick into gear, Amanda Pays' character mentions that she suffers from a disease she contracted while working with this stuff and that Rod Stieger's character has developed some type of treatment for her to help her cope with it.

It is likely that the hemosynin is some kind of agent similar to what we find in the book "Relic", which was made into a hollywood monster-in-the-hallway picture in 97. Once ingested/injected, it starts to "take over" and remake the physiology of the host.

The "treatment" she's been getting from the doctor might actually be an attempt to help her like he says it is, but is more than likely the opposite and she has become another of his guinea pigs.

I think this movie could have been alot better if made in a different time when movies weren't 95mins or less at all costs. Then again, the movie probably wouldn't have been so gooey if not made in the eighties when the grue flowed so freely.

So that's my thoughts. Am I reaching too far and in doing so just making up a subplot that isn't there?

Or maybe there's alot been cut out of the movie for "pacing" and they just didn't want to cut out their fish girl. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2003
  8. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

WOW, I didnt think of that frightfan, maybe Steiger was using her as a guine pig. Actually, I deceided to watched this film again this morning, but after hearing what Steiger says about her fate when he arrived at the house in the climax, , he says "She was going to die anyway", and remember how he didnt want to give her a stronger painkiller, despite the fact he "claimed" he made one, unless she brings the creature to him? I have a feeling he knew she was dying , there was no cure whatsoever, so he was "using" her to get to Kim Hunters son to get the goods on "Anthony", since she was "expendable", but since the creature had that Hemoglobe thing (It killed the gardner( that a mass quantity of it must have really screwed up her genes and thus turned her into a amphibian.

Or maybe just like in DR MOREAU, she was his most successful creation, she was actually created from a splicing of human and fish, but was slowly dying? Yeah, it did needed a much better explanation, perhaps if someone puts it out in DVD, an audio commentary could explain things better?

Cant believe I actually have the soundtrack LP for this!

9. frightfan

frightfan New Member

Neither can I!!!... you need to convert that to mp3 and share with the world my man... hehe just kidding... sort of... but is there any chance you can post a pic of the album?

10. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Dude, I have a scanner, but how do I transfer the image as a post?

11. frightfan

frightfan New Member

scan a jpeg and attach the file via "Attach file:" field in the post/reply window. The file apparently can only be 102400 bytes max... alternatively, a higher res pic can be uploaded to your webspace if you have any. then just post the URL here.

12. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Come'on DvD!!! I want it on DvD!! :D

Sorry, this movie should not be ever forgotten. ;)

13. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

This was always one of my favorite underrated movies. This movie deserves much more respect and should be more well known than it is. This is a must for DVD. I think the scene where Amanda Pays turns into a fish will always be stuck in my mind. I always thought she was hot but something about her I never really liked.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
  14. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Best mutant watermelon movie ever.

I believe Artisan / Lions Gate would now own this title.

15. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Let's hope for Lion's Gate. Artisan is always a mixed bag and it's a toss up on whether it will be good DVD or not.

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Lions Gate now owns Artisan, so...

17. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I found that out after I posted. Thanks though. :D

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There is a God! :evil:

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Watched this today for the first time after reading a 2 1/2 star review in "Horror Films of the 1980s". Wasn't very impressed. The plot was all over the place (the Doctor's freaks which disappear after one scene is a big example of this) and the characters were pretty boring. Of course, there was some good goo and monsters but not enough to make me really like it.

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I saw this at the cinema when it was released. One of the funnest audiences I've ever been part of. I think I sold my VHS, darn...
    Always found it a well-made little flick - I'd jump on a quality digital release