The Kindred

Discussion in 'General' started by chrishicks, Feb 28, 2003.

1. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I saw this in an old run down theater when I was fifteen. It was loads of fun. A quality dvd release of this would be most welcome.Synapse had announced some time ago that they were going to release this. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago, and was told it was currently not on their release schedule. That sucks as I think they would do a great job with it. Maybe someone else will pick it up. There are a few on Pal Region 2 dvd on ebay right now, but I don't know if they are good quality or not.

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Last year, I bought the LD for my gf. It has been a while, so I was so happy to watch it again. The last time I saw it was in my youth during a free pay tv week.

It still held up. It really is a well executed film.

3. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Synapse is working on a DVD of The Kindred.

4. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

Right now, THE KINDRED is on hold. It's currently off the schedule. We might have additional news soon, but nothing to report right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I imagine a lot of boutique labels have DVDs on hold right now. Why pay to acquire the rights and do all the work to release it in this economic climate? No point. Better to wait til people have money to BUY again.

I do hope it comes out sooner than later. Such an odd flick.

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'd preorder The Kindred the moment amazon put it up, that and the Maniac Cop blu-ray, if that is still in consideration. I wouldn't mind seeing Blue Sunshine and Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural hitting blu as well... ;)

7. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

I'm just awaiting some minor navigation corrections and menu snafus on our MANIAC COP Blu-Ray, but the lab doing it hasn't contacted me since Halloween. I do have a nice VC-1 / Lossless Audio encode here on the floor in my TV room, though! :)

But, we aren't in a hurry... the DVD market is in the crapper right now, so we have to watch our pennies like everyone else. If we have to put some titles on hold for a few months, it'll probably be the smart thing. Some titles we've spent a lot of money on and, if they were released right now, we wouldn't sell enough to break even.

Let's hope the market turns around. If it doesn't, maybe I'll just become a greeter at Wal-Mart or something. Haha!

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That's not even funny! We depend on companies like Synapse! ;)

Glad to hear Maniac Cop is still in the works - I really, REALLY love that movie!

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: Now there's a scary thought! Well, I certainly hope Synapse continues as you guys always do superb releases.

10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Don -

Way off topic - but what is up with that Halloween neg? That was you that found them, right... do tell!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  11. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Nuts.

Well, I'm a patient guy. I would rather see Synapse make it through the lean times relatively intact than to go completely out of business. Your DVD's are some of the best.

12. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

Synapse Films said almost eight years ago that they were going to do a DVD of The Kindred. Still waiting. Whatever happened to this? Will the DVD of The Kindred come out in 2014?

13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

As of May, they were supposedly waiting on the producer.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7518645&postcount=62

I thought I had read that there was some sort of a rights dispute that had been holding it up all these years, but I can't seem to find a link.

14. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I actually did a little prelim work on THE KINDRED a few years back. Went to Matthew Mungle's FX studio in Los Angeles and met with him and the two Mike McCrackens. They had a ton of design sketches, photos, behind-the-scenes footage -- even a promo reel used to raise financing. Some great stories, too. I later talked with the woman (forgot her name) who did the onset photography and she had hundreds and hundreds of negatives she was willing to let us use.

I feel like I talked to star David Allen Brooks about setting up an interview as well, but things got put on hold before I got to it. I remember planning to try to get Obrow & Carpenter to record a commentary.

I also had an idea to talk with writer David J. Schow (a leading Outer Limits authority) about Joseph Stefano's script, thinking that could be fun. I had actually just run into him at some little L.A. bar / restaurant while out to lunch with Richard Harland Smith, David Gregory (who stiffed us on the check by accident, haha) and Nathaniel Thompson. It was the middle of the afternoon on Saturday and he was picking up a pizza. Small world!

Could've been a cool package -- hopefully someday we'll be able to do it!

On a related note, Severin are releasing STRANGE BEHAVIOR on blu as DEAD KIDS. Talked to them a week or two back, they're apparently shooting for January. Ditto for THIRST.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

THE KINDRED is finally, actually, for real coming to Blu-ray in 2018 from Synapse Films:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/01/the-kindred-blu-ray-dvd/

From Synapse's Don May Jr.: “Almost ten years later, I can now say that, yes, we are doing The Kindred, finally, for 2018. While we didn’t spend four years restoring it, it took us ten years to get out of all the legal mess to finally announce it again, ten years later. I could probably write a book as to what happened with The Kindred. [Laughs] We’ll do The Kindred on Blu-ray and DVD, because honestly it’s never been legally available on Blu-ray or DVD in the U.S. So, we’ll be the first company to actually release it.”

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Cool news I can finally retire my shitty vhs quality bootleg

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I don't know if I need a book, but I hope the Blu-Ray has an extra that details the legal wranglings involved in this film.

18. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Awesome News.

19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Agree, great news. I'll retire my VHS me thinks.

20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This is remarkable news. I could see myself paying Synapse Steelbook prices for this one as I want to reward whoever finally releases this movie proper.