The Last Shark coming to NTSC DVD in 2013

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Jaws, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Jaws

Jaws New Member

Mr. Jaws here,

I saw this while surfing the net the other day..

www.dvdrulers.com/the-last-shark-dvd-news/

[​IMG]

Apparently this company is releasing TLS (L'ultimo Squalo) on DVD in 2013. They claim it is a legit DVD, not a DVD-R like their previous stuff. And there are only 500 copies. :confused:

I did some research on the company and found stuff like this:
    IMDB Page
    eBay Feedback

Everything checks out fine in my book, but I'm still a bit concerned. I'm giving them a call tomorrow to talk with whoever is in charge and see what they have to say. :fire:

-Mr. Jaws

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Looking forward to it! Thanks for this info.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

that would be really interesting. hopefully Jaws comes back with whatever the company had to say...

4. Jaws

Jaws New Member

I talked to the guy over at DR today and he said they indeed are releasing this. He told me about some of the features on the disc..

50+ photo slideshow
    3 Trailers
    Interviews from Last Shark fans
    and some new audio that apparently hasn't been released for the film.

I pre-ordered mine during our phone call and he said they are expected to ship early 2013.. so, kind of a long wait. He also told me they are selling rather fast.. so I guess this thing is going to be rather rare in the coming years.

-Mr. Jaws

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

While I don't want to discount the possibility that DVD Rulers has decided to go the Midnight Video route and go legit, I do want to call everyone's attention to their FAQ:

It's a warning sign when a company that has to put a Berne Act defense on their website, it screams out that they have not been engaging in legitimate commerce. And the products that they have been selling on their eBay page in the recent past also appear to be bootlegs. So while I won't say that they aren't on the level with this upcoming release, there is a legitimate chance that they are simply releasing a pressed disc with a transfer and some extras ripped from one of the European releases.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Interesting news, but I'll be passing.

I saw it once, and that was enough.

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I have a decent WS bootleg DVD of this which is good enough, not sure how many more times I will ever watch it.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Interesting! :hum: Anyone know anyone who has bought this item?

12. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

Diabolikdvd has the DVD now in stock, so I figured what the hell and ordered it.

I have the AWE release so it'll be interesting to compare the two....

This company is also apparently releasing the Bruno Mattei Cruel Jaws in a couple months as well.

13. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The film hasn't been properly licensed from anyone, and their source is simply the import DVD. It's a glorified bootleg. They're claiming it's public domain, but there's a valid copyright in place (to both this and CRUEL JAWS, which was released on Italian DVD and I'm sure will get the same treatment...)

Basically they dumped the import DVD print into a computer, fiddled with the colors to make them more like what they wanted it to look like, and dumped it back out to DVD -- and then charge you $25 for it.

14. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

Yea I just stumbled upon their "restoration" video on YouTube.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's unfortunate. :eek1: Has somebody reviewed the DVD somewhere then?

They're selling it on ebay and claiming it's an "official release". But if you look at the coverart photo, it says "This is a public domain film and has no copyrights in the US".

It sounds shady... but isn't this film basically outlawed from having any official release in North America due to the original Universal lawsuit? Here's something from 2008: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37983

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor (and by rumor, I mean a post on another forum, so to be taken with an extreme grain of salt) that Universal's ban on the film is supposed to lapse sometime in the near future. Not sure the exact date though.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

That's an interesting possibility. Frankly, I think there is a legitimately good chance that an American company could license and release THE LAST SHARK now and get away with it, Universal's acquiescence or not.

As long as I can remember on these forums, discussions about the politics surrounding this film's distribution have tended to assume that Universal was crouched like a tiger over the market, waiting to pounce the moment that Castellari's shark reared its plastic, growling head on home video. But that seems like an increasingly unrealistic notion. We're talking about a legal case that's thirty years old, and at the time it all went down, JAWS was still an active theatrical franchise.

I mean think of all the things that Universal's legal department deals with in a given week. Contractual disputes over talent issues, contractual disputes over distribution contracts, going after people who are downloading and seeding torrents of all their new movies, etc, etc, etc. Plus the fact that this happened thirty years ago means that everyone involved in the original case has probably either gone on to a new job, retired or died, and it wouldn't surprise me if the company's internal records from that time period have long since been shipped off for long term storage in a salt mine in Utah or somewhere.

Universal didn't do anything to stop the AWE disc release, and that came out how many years ago now? They didn't do anything to stop American importers from selling the AWE release and so far it doesn't appear that they have done anything to stop this bootleg edition.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

19. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Has anyone received their copy yet? Preorders were supposed to get priority shipping but I haven't got mine yet. I just don't want to miss the Paypal window to dispute the charge if they don't deliver.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received mine in the mail yesterday from DiabolikDVD. I guess you ordered it direct though?