The Last Shark coming to NTSC DVD in 2013

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Jaws, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well knowing this is likely going to be a bootleg has put me off getting this. Maybe if it was $5, but I'm not paying full retail for a bootleg disc.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Perhaps I'm just overlooking it, but what is the price even going to be on the Blu-ray? :eek2:

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I think it's supposed to be $24.99. It was listed earlier, but they changed their preorder from immediate payment to Paypal invoice.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's limited to 1000 copies, and it may very well sell out, but I think that the suspect nature of this companies is enough to keep it from selling out during the pre-order stage. Most people that are interested in this film will probably wait for a review.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

He mentioned he is releasing the film because it is public domain. I admit, he has been forthcoming with his answers, and I don't think he is out to rip anyone off (Though selling a Blu-ray a year ahead is a little much). It's definitely impressive to see someone his age starting a company and releasing exciting titles. When I was that age I was too busy spending all of my time playing Goldeneye on the N64.

That being said, if this film was so easy to release, how come no one other company has touched it with even a DVD release? Is this film really in public domain? According to that site he mentions (RetroFilmVault) anyone can also legally release Alice Sweet Alice, Redeemer, Lucio Fulci's Zombie, The Sentinel, The Beyond, Suspiria, Theatre of Blood, etc. I think he is trying to be legit, but maybe just a little over his head? Either way, I'll personally wait until the disc and reviews are out before purchasing. I doubt it will sell out considering Code Red hasn't been able to sell out any of their Blu-rays yet, and a lot of people are on the fence here. If it's just a straight copy of the Japanese Blu-ray though, hopefully it ends up looking great, but again personally I just don't feel comfortable throwing down money on a Blu-ray until I know it is 100% legit.

Here's a link to the Blu-ray.com thread where he answered various questions and concerns, including where he licensed the film from.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=9310719#post9310719

"spawningblue, I understand your concern. "Django the Bastard (Strangers Gundown)" is PD, "Great White" licensed, "Liar" licensed, and "Last Shark" was sold to me on a PD status. If you would like to know more, I'm open to answer any questions from people who are honestly curious. "The Shark Hunter" is also another licensed title, but I have acquired it cheap due to royalties that must be paid to the rights owners (who can be named if you wish to know). It's true, I am a high school student, I'm just trying to get into a business that I have the utmost respect for and have followed for so long. I have paper work and contracts to prove that I'm a licensed business and that I've licensed the films that are not PD.

There was a public domain movie site that sold masters (RetroFilm Vault, Desert Island Films, etc) on Digibeta. This was one of the films they had. I can check my PayPal and see who, if anyone's interested. Here's what they have on their site - "All available titles have been researched with the U.S. Library of Congress and are public domain. As an international distributor, we could not sell them to you if they were not. Many British, German, and French titles are only public domain inside the United States. If you are not familiar with how US copyright laws apply in your country please do your own due dilligence. Titles list from the 1980's are referred to as "non-registered" titles, which means that they were never registered with the Copyright Office, and as a result, can be distributed like public domain titles." They claim public domain. If this isn't the case, I'll pull the LE DVD right away.

As for the Blu-ray, I didn't fund it, other than the special features. It's licensed for Japan. I'm importing it.

If PD isn't the case, then what about the Amazon Instant Video release in 2011? Who licensed that?"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Well, I'm lookin' forward to it in Blu thatz for sure. And please let's not get him to pull any DVDs from the market please!

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Got a reply to my request to be added to the pre-order list earlier and they're saying that the release is cancelled due to problems with the licensor. What a drag.
    Now they're doing The Shark Hunter instead.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This is not surprising. Sounds like this "company" should just be avoided.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

When he referred to Desert Island Films, I knew he was in trouble. He's basically referencing public domain information that has been online for at least 15 years and has never been updated. Most pd lists found via a simple google search haven't been revised since the 1980s or early 90s. Just because certain outfits are still getting away with selling copyrighted material as public domain it doesn't mean it's legal. It simply means that the rights holder either hasn't noticed or doesn't think that it's worth getting into a lawsuit over.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. I don't think the kid is trying to rip anyone off, I just think he's over his head here. If it was that easy to get the rights to The Last Shark you can guarantee it would have been released before by Code Red or Synapse or Blue Underground or whomever.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, RetroVision is back with a Sharksploitation Double Feature DVD, with a street date of October 17th. Pre-order is live on Amazon.

[​IMG]