The Lawnmower Man (or: F*** YOU, Brett Leonard)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by DVD-fanatic-9, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ok so I saw this last night and thought it was decent. I was expecting to be bored but I thought this was better than Tron.

I just didn't understand the ending and what the purpose of becoming a cyber monster and making every telephone ring was.
    I could have missed that explanation as the audio quality on my copy was rather crap.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I always viewed the ending as this: he simply "escaped" and was now fully free in all connected computer networks around the world, to do as he pleased. Making every telephone ring just signified that he was free "everywhere" around the world, and was becoming master of the world in the new computer age...

3. Zombie Dude

I guess that sort of explains leaving the real world.

Is the sequel any good? I've got it to watch and may give it a spin soon.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nah, the sequel is very forgettable and I never cared much for it at all. The first film could really be viewed as a masterpiece in comparison to it.

5. Zombie Dude

Damn. Ah well, I'm going to watch anyway seeing as it's here :lol:

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Actually, he explained it in the movie. He was
    calling everyone over the phone to "save" their souls. Every time someone picked up, he would go inside of their brains like Brosnan's program allowed the corporation to get inside Fahey's brain. Fahey was planning to do a mass cleansing. That sounds off, I know, but he thinks the program which unlocked the parts of his brain which made him telekinetic and telepathic is what awakened his spirituality. So, to him, the brain is the gateway to the soul.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  7. Zombie Dude

That makes even more sense now. Thanks for that. :D

I watched the sequel the other night and it's the biggest piece of shit I've seen in a while. I don't know if the version I was watching was butchered or not but the cuts in it were atrocious. They also decided to put flashback to the first film in this which literally had not one single thing to do with the story in this film. The transitions into these sense where not smooth at all.
    Watching the film gave me cancer.

8. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

The 140-minute director's cut of "The Lawnmower Man" is great. An intriguing and nicely told sci-fi story.

Right now I don't have the time, mind or strength to explain deeper and counter the OP's opinion...just wanted to go on record as being for this film.

-UJ

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I picked up the double feature DVD of 1 & 2 at FYE a week back. It was listed as 16x9 2.40:1 widescreen on the back for both films.

Popped the disc in last night...FULL FRAME.

Mother fuck :mad:

10. Zombie Dude

Just bring it back. Surely they'll let you at least swap it over for something else seeing as you bought it for a reason that ending up being false.
    I bought Total Recall on blu here in Aus and it was one of the most atrocious blu's I've ever seen. It looked like a muddy painting in motion and I couldn't even watch 5 minutes of it. I took it back, told them my dvd copy looked better than this and they let me swap it :D

11. DVD-fanatic-9

I'm sorry but, if you read my posts in this thread pertaining to the director's cut, you'll know that I am very particular about what the problems with the film are. Anyone arguing for this director's cut magically fixing the scenes I watched is claiming that it will somehow put a trance over me so I fail to notice how bad it is. That's not going to happen.

I've never encountered a good film in director's cut form that was bad when chopped down. Nope, never happened. Not with Dawn of the Dead, Argento's Deep Red, The Wicker Man, etc. That's because if you cut down an actually good movie, you can see there are good pieces inside of it. A chopped down version will be a compromise but not a death sentence. The Friday the 13th films are sure proof of that. Army of Darkness. Silent Night, Deadly Night. Dust Devil. Salem's Lot. The Tommyknockers. Films you can see in their abbreviated form.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

The theatrical version of the Wicker Man is a shot in the dark once you view the Director´s cut or the final cut.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

And Lions Gate / Starz / whomever do not want people to have access to that cut in any way. The 100-minute version used to be on YouTube. Likely, it was removed by people who want to continue forcing the 87-minute version on you. The only way to see the 100m is to spend almost $40... Yeah, if I don't have money to upgrade to Blu-Ray, I don't have money for OOP discs.