The Legend of Hell House

Discussion in 'Classic' started by RVN, Mar 22, 2009.

1. RVN

RVN Guest

A dying man wants proof of the existence of the afterlife, so he hires a physicist to assemble a team to go investigate the world's "most haunted" house; the Belasco House. The physicist, his wife, and two spiritual mediums (one the sole survivor from the last team to attempt an investigation there) enter the house, and fight to survive.

Richard Matheson (author I Am Legend) wrote the story, and Roddy McDowall stole the show. Anybody else remember this Hammer-esque house of horrors? I liked it, despite its occasionally over-the-top moments.

2. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

This movie really scared me.It has all the elements of a great haunted house movie plus McDowall did indeed steal the show.I also have the book but havnt finished reading it yet.

sean

3. 7dizbust

7dizbust Member

One of the best haunted house movies ever, along with the original The Haunting.

4. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I got this one back in October of 2007 when Walmart was having a Halloween sale. I blind bought it... and enjoyed every minute of it!

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Definitely one of the best haunted house movies ever made. Roddy McDowall had the best dialogue and his final showdown with Belasco stands as the highlight of the movie. Pamela Franklin was great too as the other medium. I love the documentary style of this film along with the cool creepy electronic soundtrack and the house itself. Classic!

6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Based on a pretty great book by Richard Matheson, which is full of creepy ghost sex.

7. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

Yeah, if you like the movie, you'll love the book.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed, this is easily one of the best haunted house movies ever made.

I read the book many years ago, and it's indeed a great read and highly recommended. I haven't really ever read anything by Matheson that wasn't good come to think of it!

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I've seen this film, but I do remember Roddy McDowell and he was quite good. This film was very atmospheric and pretty creepy. I also bought this film for under ten bucks, so it was a steal.

10. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Classic all the way, Roddy McDowell was an awesome actor, Atmosphere to the max.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I have to revisit this one. I hated it the first time I saw it (but this was years ago).

~Matt

12. Great Film!
    Got the Century Fox DVD, it was a great value title; highly recommended for fans of creepy spookshows.
    Amazing cast with just the right amount of subtle creepy atmosphere and the standard shock moments to boot. Awesome.
    If you enjoy this creepy ghost film be sure to hunt down The Changeling starring George C. Scott, brings the chills in spades!

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

An old lateshow favorite of mine,HELL HOUSE is of one of your better haunted house films,with a strong cast (Roddy was a great actor,I was always fond of Pamela Franklin too).Back in the days when we had a real ''horror host" local horror film series (DR.MADBLOOD'S MOVIES here) HELL HOUSE was a long running favorite.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agree with all the praise this film has been given. My favourite haunted house film next to The Changeling and The Entity. Although I have to admit, the ending is a little weak. It makes sense of everything, but just didn't seem to live up to the rest of the film for me.

15. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

now i really want to see this, i have put it off for a while, but now i need to see this.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I love this flick, first saw it at the drive-in as a kid. The cast is wonderful and the movie manages to be atmospheric and creepy without resorting to gore or cheap scares.

17. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

For those with Turner Classic Movies, this is on tonight at 2 am along with 13 Ghosts.

18. thehellyousay

thehellyousay New Member

I absolutely love this movie. This and the original Haunting are my favorite haunted house movies. Both have tremendous atmosphere that, sadly, you don't get too often.