The Legend of Lizzie Borden (1975) DVD!

Discussion in 'General' started by Doombear, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Doombear

Doombear Member

Listed for Pre-order May 13th, 2014!
    Good news, this long-awaited historical courtroom murder horror drama with Elizabeth Montgomery is finally being released onto DVD.
    I've never heard of the studio releasing it, so hopefully it's decent quality, and the longer European cut of this made-for-TV movie.

2. deepred

deepred Member

I've heard this adaptation is very good. Can't wait to check it out.

I was hoping the latest Christina Ricci tv-movie would be decent but I found it pretty meh. Too bad - I love Ricci but haven't seen her in anything good for a long time.

3. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I remember this aired on A&E years ago when I was around 12 or 13 and I was genuinely creeped out by it (especially the 'waste not want not' dinner scene). Great performances all around. Looking forward to this release!

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

This is great news! I can't remember if I rented this on VHS or caught it on late night TV but it was phenomenal! Been waiting and hoping for this one to get a DVD release for years!

5. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I hope it's a legit release but I'm skeptical. The artwork on amazon is the same as this "release" from a bootleg company.

http://www.raredvds.biz/The_Legend_Of_Lizzie_Borden_DVD_1975_Elizabeth_p/legend_lizzie.htm

amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Lizzie...33124&sr=8-1&keywords=legend+of+lizzie+borden

"New Video Group" has a website but doesn't list this as an upcoming release. You'd think a legitimate release would have an announcement somewhere on the net but there's nothing about this. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. I hope I'm wrong.

6. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I used to watch this in the 80s and 90s often because it was always on late night TBS or TNT.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Saw it as a kid,Elizabeth Montgomery was a wonderful actress.BEWITCHED is fun but she was capable of stellar work when she had the material.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, but that was a Lifetime movie which by definition of Lifetime, had to suck. I haven't seen much stuff from Ricci recently, but dig After.Life from a few years ago.

9. Doombear

Doombear Member

Delayed - normally a bad sign.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It sounds like it's been cancelled, or at least it's been changed to "Currently unavailable" on Amazon.

11. Doombear

Doombear Member

Up for pre-order again. October 7th. I hope it really comes out with a decent transfer.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  12. Katatonia

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Woah, I don't know what's more surprising. Elizabeth Montgomery was nude in a film or that they were able to get away with that on a made-for-tv movie in 1975.

14. Doombear

Doombear Member

I'm glad this is finally being released. I think the European cut had nudity, no?

15. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

A lot of these films that were made for tv here in the states had two prints. the television print and then the one that was shown theatrically in the European market that had a couple extra swear words and a topless shot inserted in order to merit a rating that wasn't G. In the mid seventies people also realized that movie audiences needed at least a PG rating to get interested- it really kicked in after 76/77. So you see all these films that go clunk for a moment like Land That Time Forgot, when someone has to gratuitously yell "Damn" in order to hastily change the rating from G to PG. Recently saw SST:Death Flight in a Mill Creek box set, and it was the Euro cut, which had Bert Convy with a topless actress in a scene that quite frankly caused the movie to go clunk for a moment there too.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks for that Scott (and Moonbear). I never knew this. I had a crush on Elizabeth Montgomery since I was a tyke, so seeing nude pics really took me by surprise.

17. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Sounds interesting, might be a blind buy for me.

18. startide

startide Member

As TVM go, this one is pretty good. I taped it off TV back in the 80s here in Australia, as I did for every horror related thing I could and was surprised by how good it was. I think the 70s were the golden age of the US telefilm.

I'll be buying it just to support the release of vintage (if that's the right word) telemovies, if nothing else. I bought the AYITHA/The Initiation of Sarah DVD for that reason alone. The former is boring, but I've never seen the latter, but it gets plenty of love in horror circles, so fingers crossed. :) I'm really disappointed they won't be doing anymore though. :(

19. Katatonia

Got the disc earlier from Amazon.

It's region-free, if anyone overseas is interested.

The back cover shows "5.1 Surround" but the only audio track is actually a Dolby 2.0 Mono track at 192kbps. The DVDTalk review obviously overlooked that fact.

The picture quality looks pretty good though for a 70's TV film, albeit interlaced. It's certainly better than the VHS rip I'd seen before. This DVD is officially licensed from CBS...so it's going to look as good as it probably will for years.

20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Just picked this up today. I recommend this to everybody. It is one of the finest horror related TV movies I've ever watched. If you have never seen this film, blind buy it. You won't be sorry. Elizabeth Montgomery gives one of the best dramatic performances as Lizzie. She is outstanding.