The Lost World (1925)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Apr 29, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but yesterday I finally cracked and couldn't resist a DVD.

You see, a local store has had a copy of The Lost World on it shelf for ages, but at 20 quid, it always lost out to other titles whenever I went in to buy things. Of course, I'd get a better price online, but somehow the disc didn't get bought. However, over time, just knowing the disc was sitting there ate away at me, until yesterday, I gave in and bought it on a whim.

I knew I'd love the film, and I knew I'd never regret buying it. Last night I watched the DVD with my wife, and we both fell in love with a classic of cinema.

The history of the film is well known. Removed from circulation four years after release due to sound, with most copies destroyed. The hope of removing it was that it would make way for a sound remake - which became King Kong. A 60 minute version was released, and was thought to be the only version left - until a 90 minute version, missing only a few segments, turned up in Czechoslovakia. This 35mm print is what was used here.

Loaded with extras - commentary, two scores, 12 minutes of outtakes - the disc is a wonder.

This film is perhaps best known for the work of Willis H. O'Brien. O'Brien inspired Harryhausen, who has the most commonly uttered name in this type of animation. Truth be told though, Harryhausen didn't move this style of animation forward very much from what O'Brien was already doing - he mostly benefited from better materials, color, and sound. This is proven in this film, where some of the monster work is not only very familiar, but also the equal of anything that came later.

Still, this was 1925! A brilliant film (which highlight, among other things, the the plot of these types of films hasn't changed at all over the years) with some gore and good humor. And a wonderful DVD from Eureka. You should be able to pick it up online for a good price, you shouldn't miss out.

2. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Great "gotta have it" film.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I'm sure this is the version to buy. It can be had for $1 in many public domain formats, which is how I got it and saw it for the first time, but it is a classic and deserves a better viewing than those bargain basement transfers!

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Are the bonus features mentioned above carried over onto the double feature that was released on Tuesday?