The Love Witch (2016) - Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by baggio, Dec 16, 2016.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Heard good things, and really enjoyed Anna Biller's previous film Viva, so looking forward to checking this one out.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Really, really want to see this for the groovy aesthetic alone.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Workshed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

95% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes - visually it looks awesome - may have to blind buy this one

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Loved the trailer. It kinda reminds me of a Hammer horror film in some ways..and it looks hilarious at the same time.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Apparently this can be purchased at other retailers besides Oscilloscope. Like Amazon....

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I can't wait to see this one. It was on a few best lists from AintitCool and the images look beautiful.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This really looks damned cool! The visuals alone look like it's worth checking out.

Interesting that Oscilloscope are releasing the Blu-ray here. I only own one other release from them, which is Rare Exports, but that was a solid release.

10. Workshed

There's a UK sneak preview on Feb 23rd--booked my tickets! Also, the director/writer will be Skyping in after for a Q&A.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught The Love Witch at a one-off theatrical screening last Friday and loved it! Hilarious, witty, campy and smart throughout with stunning 35mm photography, and Anna Biller (writer/director/set designer/costumer designer) knocked the look, mood, and atmosphere out of the park. Great use of existing Italian soundtrack music too. It takes place in the modern day but everything around the characters is set to look like the 60s/70s which actually transports you to that time until someone pulls out a cell phone or a modern car drives by - a very interesting diversion. I need to re-watch her first feature Viva which I remember also being pretty good, and similar in style/tone but replace the witch/witchcraft elements with her take on the era of Russ Meyer films.

Workshed and Harry Warden like this.
  12. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Looks super cool. Also, I basically fell in love with the lead woman! I mean wow!!

13. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

That first poster/artwork is beautiful. It would have made a great cover for Famous Monsters in the day.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

15. Workshed

Great review over at the NYTimes:

full review here

16. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

This might have to be a blind buy for me. I was not entirely sold when I first heard about this flick but now I'm with it.

17. Workshed

Sneak preview is tonight in London--sold out show! Looking forward to finally checking this out. Will report back.

Natas likes this.
  18. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Yeah, it's playing for one night only at the Alamo Draft House in Houston as well....... tried to convince the wife to take a ride for the night. But after putting up with 4 drunk Bostonians for 3 days after the super bowl, I knew I was pushing my luck. Big old laugh and thumbs down LOL guess I'll be waiting for the blu ray.

Workshed likes this.
  19. Workshed

Shot in 35MM, The Love Witch is a singular vision by writer, director, editor, costume designer, and everything else-r Anna Biller. This is one outstanding-looking film. The color palette, the sets, the costumes, the makeup (also done by Biller) are rich, consistent, and lovely. The film itself is very high on camp and sexiness--in fact, this may be the all-around sexiest film I've ever seen, given how deliberate the costumes and sets and makeup and hair are designed to allure. The lead, Samantha Robinson, whom Biller found through a casting call, is a stunning actor, which is what makes the camp so entrancing, as every male character in this film falls under her spell. I did, too, easily.

Seven years in the making (two years spent researching Wiccan culture and five years in production--Biller even sewed one of the rugs because she couldn't find the perfect one for a specific shot), The Love Witch is light on traditional horror (the deaths are mostly offscreen) and heavy on message. This is not to say that the film is heavy-handed, but, like the NYTimes review states, this is very much a subversion of traditional female roles in witchcraft horror narratives and in Wiccan culture in general. It begins with a number of goofy laughs and out-there moments, but through repetition, the themes grow quite dark, so much so that many laughs in the later third of the film are uncomfortable. In a post-film Q&A last night, Biller said she was often surprised at some of the laughs her film generated during these preview screenings, attributing them to audience bewilderment at how "weird" her vision is realized on film.

It's this light-and-dark-hearted nature of The Love Witch that is fascinating. How can Biller maintain such a consistent message while also featuring a gorgeous woman who is topless and scantily clad through much of the film, let alone involved in sexually submissive witchcraft rituals? I cannot explain it, but it works. Be aware: it's not as much of a thriller as the trailer led me to believe--there are no scares whatsoever--and it maybe runs 30 minutes too long (a few viewers around me dozed off). But wow, what a film to watch, and what a stunning directorial talent. See this in the theater if possible and if not, definitely in as high-def as you can.

Hatchetwarrior and Natas like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost