The Majorettes DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by the.wicked.one, Nov 24, 2003.

1. The Majorettes (aka One By One) is a 1986 slasher film directed by NOTLD cemetery ghoul, Bill Hinzman and writen by John Russo (adapted from his own novel). Not much plot to report, but high school girls get murdered.

Shriek Show was set to release this during the last quarter of 2003 but it has been pushed back by a few weeks and now stands at January 27, 2004.

It'll have a new anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1) and the following extras:

"One By One" Featurette: interviews with John Russo, Bill Hinzman, Jerry Gergely and Russ Striner
    Original European trailer
    Isolated music score
    Photo gallery
    Two sided packaging with photo and illustration art back to back

I love the new cover:

[​IMG]

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Looks great!

Definitely on my list :)

3. etale

etale Guest

Sounds interesting. Might get it.

4. aasmund

aasmund Guest

Ok

I have seen it, i was ok but not special!
    You can get worse and better movies than this one!
    There are alots of others movies i would buy before this one!

5. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i've seen the old vestron vhs a while back, and from what i remember i liked it, but i remember it looking cut to ribbons
    or maybe just really rough editing................

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

So...

Anyone pick this one up? I was going to order it, but it's already sold out at Deep Discount DVD.

7. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Has anyone seen the new Shriek Show DVD of the film? I want to know if this is a longer cut of the film then the Vestron VHS.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I have the DVD, and I think Shriek Show did a pretty good job on it. Despite all the hate for this film, I love it, and am pleased Shriek Show finally got it released.

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

So, wait...Deep Discount DVD has one cover art pic up for the film, and the cover art here is completely different. Which is the real cover art? I like the cover art posted above, and think the new one (with the blood-covered girl) just looks cheap. I hope it's the original art.

Also, is the film itself uncut?

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I haven't watched mine yet (hope to this weekend), but the cover art I got was the blood covered girl. I got mine from dvdempire.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2004
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

12. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Er... What part of "two sided packaging" is confusing you guys? It's a reversible cover. Pick the one you like.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  13. Katatonia

Ah okay, so that's the deal. Kinda like the Black Christmas DVD re-release.

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just watched the dvd and liked it pretty well. The picture and sound needed some work, but I am thinking maybe there wasn't a better copy to be had. At least it isn't like Artisan, where you are left thinking you better keep your vhs. Also, the featurette was interesting too, I am always pleased getting new information on films of this kind. Usually we are lucky to get a trailer.

I enjoy slashers from this period so had a great time watching it, up to the one hour mark where the story seemed to take a different tone and it lost me a little bit, which I remember happening way back in the day when I saw it too. I had forgotten. Still, all in all, it was an enjoyable enough experience, and I am glad to have the dvd.

15. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

always wanted to see this. :glasses: Now I think I will.

16. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I read it on the specs, but hadn't heard anyone comment on it, so I figured Shriek Show had just nixed the idea when I saw the new cover all over the net.

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

It's not a very good movie, IMO. I rented the old Vestron VHS a couple years back and was very disappointed. I hated the action film tone the story took towards the end. The film did have good intentions, though.

Maybe if I give it another watch, I'll like it better, but until then I think I'll skip on the DVD.

18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Is this movie any better than Flesheater? I know they're totally different movies, but I know the same guy directed both, I really didn't care for Flesheater but I'm drawn to this one for some reason. Is this one as craptastic as Flesheater? Always saw it at Hollywood video for like years but never gave it a rent. I guess to even it out a bit, is The Majorettes better or worse than Last Slumber Party?

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I guess it's better than The Last Slumber Party, but that's not saying too much. Although LSP was awful, I kind of enjoyed it in a cheesy kind of way. I think... :nervous:

20. Katatonia

Heh heh, I enjoyed LSP also. :eek1: I bought it new probably 12 years ago on VHS...so bad it's nearly good.