The Majorettes DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by the.wicked.one, Nov 24, 2003.

1. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I watched The Majorettes blu ray last night. Was always wishing they'd do this like with Flesheater. It's a nicer upgrade than that was. It also looks to use the same source as the dvd, but a much improved view of it. Same extras, stills are now high def. Comes in a heavy, old school blu case. No dvd.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched the Blu-ray earlier, and it's a solid release. The transfer looks pretty good for a low-budget 80's title such as this, with a nice grain structure and vivid colors. There's some very minor print damage at times like specks and scratches, but nothing that really deflects from the viewing experience. No signs of DNR or other digital manipulation that I could detect.

Uncompressed PCM mono audio. Optional English subtitles.

The disc itself is a BD-50 taking up 40gb of space. All of the bonus features are ported over from the old DVD, and adds 5 minutes of dubbed scenes from the German release. The 26+ minute "Soundtrack" is now 1080p with PCM audio...it sounds like a fresh remaster of that and not just some fake uncompressed upconversion.

Like gunner stated above, the Yearbook Stills Gallery is now 1080p and definitely not an upconversion.

No reversible artwork on it, but it does use the original artwork and not that other horrid cover.

The only thing they really did WRONG was use the MPEG-2 codec for everything on the disc. At least it has a respectable bit-rate to minimize artifacting, but why use an antiquated DVD-era encode? AVC MPEG-4 should have been a no-brainer. I'm sure they've used it on their past Blu-rays, so why backtrack in time?

So, the Blu-ray is definitely a nice release and a solid upgrade over the old DVD. I'm pleasantly surprised. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Nice summary Kat - I'll pick this up based on your info. Sounds good!

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart