The Mist (2007) VS The Fog (1980)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Oct 15, 2008.

?

Environmental Horror

1. The Mist (2007)

32.7%
  2. The Fog (1980)

67.3%
  1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I love The Fog dearly, but The Mist is so much a better film in every way (except for maybe the score), that it trumps any nostalgia factor for Carpenter's film.

2. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

The nostalgia for "The Fog" has generated for 30-years now, it has been appreciated over time and has been placed on the shelf as a horror classic. "The Mist" was an extremely well-written and well-directed horror tale, that I believe will appreciate over time. That said, "The Mist" does outshine "The Fog" with a bit more of a realistic approach, however, "The Fog" does maintain the creepy factor a bit more realistically.

The CGI in "The Mist" really bothers me at times, and does put a dent in the film...both have grim endings, but the finale of "The Mist" is much ballsier.

A toss up for me...but I'm going with "The Fog"...because Captain Blake rules!

-UJ

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    THE FOG. Now about that MIST ending: it's too much of an out-of-left-field type of thing that really never sets the character up for that. It's a simple sucks-to-be-you moment, nothing more. Most like the "grim ending" thing, but I don't feel it benefitted the film AT ALL. Now, the BETTER character to set up like that would have been Mrs. Carmody. THAT'S the character we'd love to see suffer in that way. There was absolutely no payoff for what happened to her character - at least to make an impact in a horror fantasy film. The main character was the blandest, most boring leading man in a horror film - he had no internal conflicts and almost no emotion until the last 10 minutes (his emoting is nothing more than a LIFETIME TV Not Without My Daughter situation in this incredibly bizarre, horrific situation). The payoff was better suited for a character that really mattered.
    THE FOG - I love a good, scary ghost story over a simple critter feature any day (let's not fool ourselves - THE MIST is nothing more than a killer bug movie).

4. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Hate to do this, but I pick The Mist. Carpenter's The Fog is great, though.

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I went with the fog cause I gotta stick with my director

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The Fog...by far.