The Monster Squad OFFICIAL dvd: "It's Coming"

Discussion in 'General' started by Demon, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I understand completely. The one thing I also hate about DVD's that come with a slipcover that isn't also shrinkwrapped (like TMS) is those damned price/code stickers that Best Buy and Walmart slam on the cover. Sure, you can spend 5 minutes prying them off and hope it doesn't start to peel off a layer of the cover, but you never know.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I usually throw those cardboard covers away. They're so pointless.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Yep, that's what happened to me. Bent slipcase and sticker remains.

I can be a bit obsessive when it comes to condition, but in this case (pun intended), I already have the insert over the new art anyway, so yeah, I'ma toss it away. It's ugly, so to the trash it goes.

But hey, if anyone has original cover art that covers the entire front, it'd be much appreciated. Fred Dekker's note on the back of the insert is great, by the way, and much too good to be stuck under the plastic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I got mine yesterday, and what an awesome movie. Haven't seen it since I was younger so I was worried it wouldn't hold up, but it def. did!

Around here it was also sold out in a lot of places, but the thing that bothered me the most was that my copy didn't come with an insert either. Damn Canada is always getting ripped off! Anyone know if Lions Gate would send an insert if I e-mailed them, I know Anchor Bay would in a second?

Oh, and if any of you guys ever throw out the outer boxes, send them to me! I'm pretty anal about my DVDs, but sometimes I buy them dirt cheap used and they are missing the outer boxes. I need them for Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Ring 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Pitch Black, and The Thing. If someoen had all of them and was wanting to get rid of them I'd throw in a couple of bucks.

5. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

They have a shitload of them at the MovieStops around here. And you can trade in 4 old DVDs and get it free as per their service.

6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

This thing is selling like hot cakes to everyone's surprise. Suck it Blu-Ray/HDDVD.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

I went to my local Best Buy today to return a piece of hardware. Checked the DVD aisle real quick; Monster Squad was sold out. Shocking?

8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Damaged on the outside, possibly damaged on the inside (where it counts).

Reminds me of a DVD I picked up at Fry's a couple months back. Only copy they had in stock, on release day (can't remember what it was, 'cept it was a horror flick). And, as expected, the DVD was loose in the case (always a bad sign). Rather than give up, I took the DVD to a sales drone, explained that the DVD was loose and I'd like to open the case to check if it was scratched before I bought it. After all, there was a slim chance the disk was knocked loose but hadn't had a chance to get scratched yet.

You all know what happened next. Right on cue, the idiot takes the box, shakes it vigorously to confirm the DVD was loose. Then he remembers he can't make the decision to open the case himself, and takes it to his supervisor. Yep, you guessed it, the supe shakes the crap out of it and says "yeah, its loose". His assistant looks over, asks what the issue is, gets that look of disbelief that the disk could be loose, and decides to shake the case to confirm it. Then the supervisor gets the brilliant notion that he might want to ask me about why all this was brought to his attention.

"I wanted to check if that loose DVD was in unscratched condition before I bought it, but I think I can guess what condition its in now."

Supervisor completely misses the hint, and optimistically agrees we should open the case up (three James Bond martini treatments too late) to see the DVD condition. He gives it a brief look, shows it to me, and asks me "hows that?".

"Great, if I want a topographical map of the Grand Canyon."

Again clueless to a fault, the supervisor hands the DVD to me with "glad to be of service" type comment, thinking I'm satisfied.

Needless to say, DeepDiscount got some business from me that week. As is more often the case, given that Frys has been stingy about putting new releases on sale of late. And because they, too, didn't have Monster Squad in stock (possibly sold out, but I suspect they didn't have many - if any - in stock in the first place).

9. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

i just sent an e-mail to lions gate about a replacement insert as I aslo did not get one

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Lighter fluid will take those pesky stickers off. No sticker residue. No stress over a damaged slipcover. I'm not a big fan of slipcovers that feature the same artwork as the case. What's the point of that? I will keep 'em if they have different artwork.

Are you guys ready for 9/11? Hope the stores ordered enough copies of The Burning, From Beyond, etc. :evil:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Local Walmart sold out of Monster Squad in a day!

As for the 9/11 dvds, i'm going to do something I normally don't and just do a huge preorder. I highly doubt the stores around here will get all the discs I want on that day.

12. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I checked Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, Sam's Club, Suncoast, FYE, K-Mart, Super K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Super Wal-Mart.

All were sold out. :(

I was talking with the Wal-Mart manager and he told me that yesterday morning around 100-150 angry customers stormed the loading docks behind the store, tipped over the newly-arrived Wal-Mart delivery semi-trailer, and looted only the copies of The Monster Squad that were inside.

:(

13. Luna

Luna Guest

[​IMG]

This was the crowd at my Walmart today... needless to say I don't have a copy either. :(

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

That one dude almost looks like the Wolfman!

15. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I'll probably be doing the same thing for 9/11. That way I know that I'll have the money in advance, and that I'll be able to get all the discs shipped together.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yep th3 9/11 discs will probably be hard to find right now even the best buy website says not available for store pick up which they won't be getting any of em in the store but it is still early so there website may and probably will change

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

where did you find their e-mail as I couldn't find it on their site?

18. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

19. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Fucking Finally! I had a copy of this on dvd-r and I recently saw it on the big screen.It was awesome,my girl was less then thrilled.:D

Sean

20. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Watched this today and wow, even better than I remembered. I had a crappy quality bootleg that I watched a little over a year ago and this was like heaven compared to it. So glad to have this, OFFICIALLY, in my collection.

By the way, little thing I noticed... Am I crazy or is the music in the beginning of the trailer for Monster Squad the same music from Fright Night??