The Movie Theater Expereince today, compared to early 80's??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Sep 24, 2017.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I was a young kid, but seen a lot of movies, in the early to mid 80's. compared to today, we had big one screen theaters, you don't see these anymore! You had Eric And Budco , I remember the concession stands being very plain and simple. popcorn and candy, soda.. I remember the screen had curtains a lot, Plus, there wasn't 45 mins of commericals for I phones and previews that last 6 mins and show the whole movie. You may have had one or 2 previews then the movie came on.. But I quess Hollywood made so much money and could afford better advertising. anyone else. like the old days better.. I can stand the multiplex theaters with 20 theaters, 18 shoebox and 2 bigger ones.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Overall I agree with you. I especially don't like sitting through the same trailer a dozen times before the film finally gets released. This happens a lot more than you would think if you go to the theater 2-3 times a month. Also 3-4 trailers is more than enough to play before the film starts. Sometimes you get about 10 and it's to the point that you're annoyed the film hasn't started yet. Personally I like the multiplex as the one near my house has about 5 big screens (typically reserved for the opening week releases) and plays nearly every film I'm interested in seeing theatrically. I will say I have more fond memories from my 80's theater experience but that is more due to the fact that I didn't have the same ease of getting to the movies or money to spend (no job, no car) and having to sneak in to movies such as Maniac, American Werewolf, The Thing, and The Howling.

ronnie21 likes this.
  3. ronnie21

wow, you saw maniac, and the howling and the thing in the theater, how can anything you see today. top those??

4. russweiss

I don't think I could top that today. Back then horror was a much newer experience, especially the gore aspect. I was a young teen at the time. Now after viewing several thousand horror/sci-fi films there is very little that I haven't already seen. I felt the same way with my Hong Kong film craze in the early 90's. Seeing the choreography sometimes just blew me away. Now when I revisit some of those titles they look so cheap. I still love watching movies but rarely do I get the same "thrill" from them.

ronnie21 likes this.
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There's pluses and minuses to everything. Even back in the 80s, the era of the multiplex was on its way. All the local big screens eventually underwent "twinning", where they put a wall down the middle and added some extra projection holes up top so that one screen became two.

I do like that a lot of theaters near me now have the large reclining seats, and you can buy a beer at the concession stand.

My biggest gripe with today's theaters is that scope no longer means more image, it means less. In the "old days", as it were, theaters opened the masking curtains on the side so that a scope movie was a real presentation. Now, the screen goes all the way to the wall (which sounds nice, but only if it's a big room and more often than not it isn't), and for a scope movie they just drop down top and bottom masking. Sometimes. I've been to see pretty big movies (The Force Awakens, for one) that were actually just shown letterboxed on the screen. Like Quentin Tarantino says, it's TV at the movies nowadays.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to have been around where there were very few multiplexes, most theaters near me were single screeners, some with a huge curved screen which could handle films shot in Cinerama (a cool process where three separate screens were utilized, it gave a wraparound effect, almost like 3-D).Our nicest one had seats that would either recline or would rock, they were well maintained so they weren't "creaky". Concession choices were fewer (no microwave burgers etc) but prices were much, much cheaper. Up until the mid 80's it was still not uncommon to see new films coming out that had mono sound mixes (CONAN THE BARBARIAN and THE TERMINATOR did).That sounds primitive but at least you didn't tend to have the problem I have with a lot of current stuff, where the sound effects mix is too jacked and drowns out the dialogue. By the late 70's we had Dolby Stereo, LOGAN'S RUN was the first film I saw like that. Sensurround was used on only four movies but it was wild, It generated a low frequency bass tone that made the very air seem to vibrate. When they first used it at Mann's Chinese Theater for EARTHQUAKE it actually made plaster dust fall from the ceiling ! I saw MIDWAY in Sensurround and it really felt like airplanes were revving up behind you, very cool ! It didn't last because you had to retrofit HUGE subwoofers into the theater and if the master board was screwed up during a screening it could actually hurt people ! Dolby was more versatile and wasn't gonna make your head explode !

The nicest things about 70's/80's era screening is that if someone was being annoying, talking or being obnoxious (remember, this was pre-cell phones etc), the ushers really would kick them out. That I rarely see nowadays.

Of course if you were in a grindhouse type setting which you might be if you wanted to see more oddball horror flicks, martial arts movies, or Italian exploitation films (you could still see English looped horror flicks at American theaters up into the mid eighties),well, then things might get gritty. Sometimes there were better fights in the theater than there were onscreen.Still, if you had a taste for great sleaze you just had to man up and take your chances.

Modern theaters are much more high tech and are usually reasonably well maintained. There are more options at the snack bar but you have to wade through commercials and deal with people texting or playing games on their personal devices. Every generation has it perks and it's deficits.

ronnie21 likes this.
  7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    People can be rude and obnoxious now. I'm completely DONE with going to the cinema even the retrospectives. I can go to the earliest shows or the odd weeknight showing just to avoid but the theaters themselves are not all that special anymore. San Francisco has mostly multiplexes and there is one that smells like trash as soon as you walk in the auditorium (the bins are right at the door built into the wall).
    It used to be really special to go see a movie when they played at those cool, huge single screens. A few of the multi ones were okay but they're gone. Back then if the main house was too crowded or sold out, you could take the bus directly to the outer areas and see the movie.
    Now we have those AMC or Centuries with 10 screens...and 4 or 5 movies playing.
    It's just not for me anymore. But that's cool - the movies aren't all that great anyway.

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The biggest difference between theatres now and in the past for me is that they just don’t seem worth going to anymore. Given the common and cheap technology we have for watching movies at home it just seems so ridiculous to have to travel any distance to overpay to watch a movie one time with a crowd of mostly strangers while you eat overpriced snacks and can’t pause when you need to go to the bathroom. I know that none of these things weren’t also true decades ago but now they just don’t seem worth putting up with anymore because the technology for the home is really good enough now. It’s actually pretty annoying the way Hollywood continues to prop up this archaic industry instead of just doing everything direct to streaming and disc.

9. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Here's the problem, based on no empirical data beyond my own anecdotal observations:

Theaters play their bullshit ads, trailers, and whatever and then announce that the audience should put away their phones and not text or talk, etc. And the audience goes quiet. And THEN the theater plays one last ad for concessions for some reason. And the audience gets restless and people start checking phones again, and then the movie starts.

The alert to shut up and put away phones should be the LAST thing people see before the movie starts. No ads, no trailers after that. People will obey, for the most part, if it is fresh in their minds. If you give them even one excuse to deviate, they will. Because no one wants to watch an ad for concessions in 2017.

"Oh, this theater sells red licorice for $10? And overpriced soda? WOWEEEE!"

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

My biggest gripe had been the ever-increasing cost of going to movies, but Moviepass has effectively rendered that a moot point.

The premium theater trend is getting a little out of hand, though. I can appreciate the fancy recliners (though I hate the placement of the buttons) and the ability to reserve seats, but there's not much room for spontaneity, anymore. Ever since the nearest AMC got converted to premium seating, the seating has become so limited, that showings routinely sell out well before showtime.

11. russweiss

I heard that AMC was trying to get out of honoring the Moviepass cards.

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

They haven't done so, as of yet. I do question how long Moviepass will be able to continue this program, but I'm going to enjoy it while they can. For me, I come out ahead even if I only see one non-matinee movie/month.

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Eh. I roll with the new.

Theaters are always trying to figure out some new gimmick or approach to lure people in. I'm not super nostalgic for the theaters, just the films.

14. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I love the theaters, man. Always have always will. My couch is all well and good but nothing compares to seeing a flick on a 100+ foot screen.

I've gotten to be an expert throughout the years....I know exactly when to see any specific movie to avoid the majority of the bullshit referenced above.

I guess I've been fortunate in my life regarding the cost for a few reasons....... one, I seem to almost always live near a small neighborhood 4-6 screen theater.....aka, cheap matinees. 5 bucks I pay, and the theater is 1.2 miles from where my ass is parked every night lol.........but back in Boston, my best friend worked at the most expensive multi-level-multi plex around (showcase cinemas in Randolph)...tickets are like 14 bucks. But he got unlimited free tickets so we literally went to the movies for free every couple of weeks at a minimum.......that went on for a solid 4 years. It was beautiful. He also would text his co worker buddies, while we were home, to find out how empty a theater was to convince us to put the bong down and head to the theater pronto LOL

The amount of previews can be annoying at times, but that's something I've always remembered as a kid, being a part of the theater going experience. As a matter of fact, back in the day before the Internet, previews before seeing a flick was the main source of info for upcoming movies.

Ps: fuck streaming :D

buck135 likes this.
  15. ronnie21

This is a theater in Delaware that closed on sept 19th 1980, with last showing of "The exterminator" that summer before it closed it showed PromNight Humunoids from the deep, The Fog and in may of 79 showed "dawn of the dead on a double bill with Halloween. the theater still stands today. a few year s ago, I walked right in and took this shot of the screen,, they also showed Caligula on a double bill with mary poppins of all things..

[​IMG]

wago70 and Natas like this.
  16. ronnie21

another shot of the outside

[​IMG]

17. ronnie21

18. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

That place is just itching for someone to buy and restore. Probably do it dirt cheap too.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Funny that number of trailers has been mentioned, but one of my biggest complaints back then is that theaters didn't show ENOUGH of them. Three tops. But of course back then it was before you could watch trailers online (which most people do), and really was the first way that you learned a new movie was coming. Today trailers before films are relatively unnecessary and more than three (which is waaayyy too commonplace) is total overkill. But back then I would have loved 6 or 7.

Erick H. likes this.
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, another thing to consider about trailers now vs. then is the ease in which they can be shown. Back then, you had to splice the trailer onto the beginning of the film. Now, they're just files. Up in the booth, you create a timeline just like any video editing software, and all you have to do is drag the trailers into the timeline and boom you're done.