The Movie Theater Expereince today, compared to early 80's??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Sep 24, 2017.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I liked trailers at the cinema. Here in San Francisco, some theaters were showing commercials (AMC on Van Ness) and then those annoying Fandango ones, too. Really killed the movie going vibe. There was a terrific theater in Sparks, NV. run by General Cinemas (their logo is memorable) that played terrific movie scores in between the programming while people were getting their seats and waiting for the film to start. The screen was always lit with a cool blue color. The theater, a 70's duplex, was immaculate. The bathrooms were sparkling clean. The manager (circa early to mid 70's) was always on top of everything (he came off as strict and not one to be trifled with which I can REALLY appreciate). The staff was really nice and addressed everyone with attention and direct contact - even to us kids. The smell of fresh popcorn and a much better quality of butter flavoring (so sweet!) is something I'll never forget. Good times.

Natas likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

The stands I went to in the 80s were stocked with candy. And I remember getting food a lot of the time as well. Quick stuff like hot dogs and nachos. I thought it was good back then. I would have a little meal either before or in the early part of the movie. Popular arcade games were there as well if you arrived early and were waiting on the previous show to end.

There are a few sites that talk about dead malls that show the old closed theaters. I'll see if I can find the images.

3. ralfy

ralfy New Member

Also, in several cases no reserved seating, so you could watch the movie more than once.