The Mummy (2017, Dark Universe)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I still love those Brendan Fraser Mummy movies. Dumb but fun popcorn entertainment IMO.

But yeah I'm conflicted about this one as well.

Spacevis likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

That was my thought as well. Aside from some shots of the tombs, I'm not seeing much classic horror in this movie. Another Tom Cruise action movie. It will probably make his usual profit. But starting a new Universal Monsters series might not happen. I read about them doing something with Creature from the Black Lagoon next. But I'm not expecting much from that either. Although I did like that one reality horror TV show about the crew that goes down the Amazon. Maybe if it was something like that I would be excited.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm still not sold on this new Mummy, in fact the latest trailer I saw put me off more than anything else. I'm hoping the reviews are favourable for it as I'll definitely be passing on it if not.

Actor wise the film looks real solid. I like Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe. Heck I like the casting for the other films they're planning as well, like Depp for the Invisible Man and Javier Bardem for Frankenstein's monster. Fingers crossed the Mummy ends up being more good than bad.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah the teaser trailer that focused on the horror aspect had me hopeful, but now the full trailers show things to be nothing more than an excuse to do CGI sand storms in a metro area. In the theaters I've been in I've almost lost my equilibrium from the collective eye rolling in the theater (like before Rogue One).

I'll wait for reviews... But even then I'm not a Cruise fan, so it's got to be some stellar fucking reviews. I'm probably going to wait it out for the next "Dark Universe" in line.

6. ImmortalSlasher

The whole "Dark Universe" title sounds so generic. Javier Bardem and Johnny Depp are good choices for the other movies. I wonder if Tom Cruise's character will be in those movies now like Creature from the Black Lagoon. If not just in a cameo appearance.

But I looked at the final Mummy trailer and it still just says action movie with a different CGI creature to me. Few shots of dark, mysterious, and creepy areas. And the director doesn't inspire confidence at all. Yet I have a feeling that Hollywood will put money into marketing this as the next big franchise and chances are make a lot of money off it. I'll stick to the old ones. I still haven't seen many of them and sequels anyway.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    X-human and Natas like this.
  8. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I honestly can't think of one single scenario in which my eye balls will ever view this movie for more than 17 continuous seconds (assuming there is always the small possibility my remote control batteries die on me and it's stuck on HBO 3 years from now with this showing). Literally not one aspect of this flick is appealing to me in any way shape or form.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not too surprising unfortunately. (Although dumping on the Stephen Sommer movies? Those obviously made Universal money. Even if not critical success.)

And it's true, if they learned anything from Deadpool, you could probably make a franchise out of graphic R-Rated fantasy play. And you'd have a leg up on Marvel and DC's own inevitable tales from the dark side of comics. Instead they're doing what DC did, rush out a carbon copy of Marvel's success without any thought of how such a universe could be molded around your pre-existing IP and instead cut off all of the edges of your own IP so it fits the forms Marvel has already cut out.

Warner's just started to turn things around with Wonder Woman, and even that's going to start taking a few more movies before seeing Marvel-esque results. I doubt Universal will have the luxury of stumbling out the gate as The Mummy just does not have that same cache as Batman/Superman/etc. If you don't appeal to Universal Horror's core fans first, you can't even dream of expanding past that.

Workshed and buck135 like this.
  10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It would have been better if it was it's own thing and not a reboot of a horror film since it doesn't seem to resemble anything horror-related (of course even fantasies like Harry Potter have some horrific imagery).
    I realize horror and fashion have their appeal (especially among the drag scene and movies like 1983's The Hunger) but this could have been titled just about anything other than The Mummy.
    I dunno - I think I'm completely tapped out of any interest in all the new stuff coming out. They completely lost appeal for me. It's retro/vintage/classic from here on out for me.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

One of the best statements I've ever read.

Myron Breck, Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll see it. Probably worthless as a horror movie, and it probably shouldn't be called The Mummy, but I do really enjoy Action Tom Cruise in movies like Edge of Tomorrow and Mission Impossible. I do think it looks like a decent action movie at least.

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Critics are taking a shit on this one. In the 20% range on Rotten Tomatoes. Doesn't surprise me a bit as I thought the trailer looked like ass.

satans-sadists likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well the trailers didn't really sell me. I liked some aspects but like most others here I thought it looked too action heavy and very lacking of the Gothic horror theme it should be going for. The reviews have sealed the deal with this one sounding like its not worth my time and money at the theatre as I was pretty much expecting. I don't see why they have to go with this big world building thing for these movies either. The idea is fine but how about making a good film that can stand on it's own and appeal to the horror fans (as it should) first, then work in those little elements for crossovers and whatnot second.

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

B-b-but they have 12 more movies planned in this universe over the course of the next 18 months!!!!! ;)

[​IMG]

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

The BBC review, ha ha! 1-star.

Brutal. More here.

satans-sadists and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. ImmortalSlasher

I stopped watching Penny Dreadful after a few episodes in Season 3 as I wanted to watch it all at once during the October month. But that old world horror feel and atmosphere is something that seemed to be missing from the new Mummy trailers. Even if they have it modern day, it should still feel ancient and creepy.

They hinted at The Mummy in Penny Dreadful and I would love to see a season of that. But this movie? I watched some of the On Demand bonus stuff and they were just selling the movie like every other movie. People saying how much fun they had making the movie. Tom Cruise saying he liked the old Mummy movie and wanted to make a modern monster movie. It feels like Mission: Impossible all over again. I'm kind of a fan but I wonder if he checked out some of the recent good original horror movies?

18. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I saw this tonight with my wife. We both thought it was pretty decent actually. Not a horrible film by any means. We were the only ones in the theater though. Yikes.

19. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't know. Like a few others have said, I'm not big on Cruise. I don't mind the Fraser Mummy...at least the first one. It has a bit of nostalgia for me.

Every time I see Tom Cruise, I just think of a crazy Scientologist who's still riding the fumes of the mid-1980s when he was on the bedroom wall of every 15-year old girl.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw this with my wife and daughter and agree that the film was enjoyable. It offered some plot points that I wasn't aware of to help continue with the "monsters" series. Glad I saw this in the theater.