The Mutilator from Arrow Video arrives this September.

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Just looked up my Amazon order (prime). It shows that it's waiting at my house now.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Mine should be delivered to my office tomorrow. Good stuff.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I ended up ordering mine from Amazon UK because it less expensive. I haven't received it yet but got a shipping notice on February 14th.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm hoping it arrives next week the latest.

5. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

The extra effort that went into The Mutilator really shows in the many memorable details. It boasts a killer tagline, iconic theatrical and VHS artwork, the infamous theme song, a star-making turn from Morey Lampley as Mike, excellent gore effects that transcend its low budget, and one of the most brutal kills of the era. All of these elements help make it stand out from contemporary independent slashers, even if it ultimately isn't a great film. For slasher fans like myself who have been waiting a long time to see this one rescued from obscurity (it's literally been a decade since Code Red announced the DVD) the Arrow Blu-ray is like a miracle. It's only February but this is clearly one of the releases of the year for retro horror addicts who don't mind a little extra cheese.

fceurich39, Marv Inc. and Katatonia like this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed, it's an awesome release. I've gone through all of the extras (including both commentaries) now, and Arrow really went the extra mile.

It's amazing that the uncut print came from the Library of Congress too...so thanks to the government! :p

Dobby likes this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I can't argue with most of that with the exception of you thinking that Morey Lampley has star quality. That's a head scratcher. Out of the entire cast he was the least memorable. I guess when paired next to the red haired guy (who could have taken the same drama classes as the daughter in Troll 2) he would have at least the illusion of talent.

8. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

It's great to see our tax dollars being to put to good use preserving the likes of The Mutilator!
    I was just kidding about that one, the guy is stiffer than Frankenstein. I really do get a kick out of his cringe-inducing line delivery though, and his death scene always makes me chuckle. :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Katatonia and maybrick like this.
  9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Watching The Mutilator now. Damn. Arrow really is doing God's work on these. Amazing.

Dobby, Semerrill and Matt89 like this.
  10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Got mine in the mail yesterday from Amazon. Such nice packaging on this release. Brings a tear to my eye :rolleyes:

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just watched mine last night and it looked amazing. Always more violent than I remember. Mind you, my first viewing was a probably edited VHS rental, so the first impression is still what has stuck with me, despite the uncut Dragon dvd era.

Semerrill likes this.
  12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

The transfer is great but watching them play Blind Man's Bluff is comical. It's very bright, how could they not see each other? A great release, though. After watching the dark VHS for years this is pretty incredible. This and Pieces are the blu's of the year so far.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm glad to have finally seen this, impressed with the transfer, and confident, that this, like Blood Rage, will never rank among my favourite slashers. The gore is there, but I found myself missing a final chase, or any kind of sustained suspense for that matter (and no, that brightly lit blind man's bluff doesn't qualify). The final girl is rather bland, but at least the hero is cute. I just felt a lack of energy throughout, but as a slasher completist, I'm happy to own it. For low-budget, lower tier slashers, however, I actually prefer Honeymoon Horror, which has a grimy, regional feeling that I like.

14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

It's funny what high-def does to these old movies. Much of the Mutilator was so dark on VHS you couldn't see what was going on most of the time. Now everyone is pointing out how well you can see everything, how bright everything is, lol. Jack Chatham, the villain of the film, was mostly obscured by darkness but here you see the guy like he's standing 3 feet away from you in the the supermarket. Loving this Blu-ray (on my second viewing tonight).

Semerrill and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. Kim Bruun

I'm loving that Arrow has given two relatively minor slashers the royal treatment, and I'm hoping we'll see more. Hell Night seems unlikely, with the owner holding it hostage while waiting for a remake, but how about The Prey, or Deodato's Body Count? I know 88 Films tried to get the latter at one point but were unsuccessful.

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I want them to go for House Of Death aka Death Screams next. It would be the perfect companion to Blood Rage and The Mutilator.

17. Kim Bruun

House of Death (and Silent Madness, for that matter) is very much in line with The Mutilator and Blood Rage. For some reason, I wasn't really into it, but the copy I watched was admittedly hazy and dark.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Got mine in the mail from Diabolik yesterday, can't wait to dig in this weekend. Haven't seen it in a few years, on the Vipco release, so this will be a huge improvement as you can gather from the Caps-A-Holic comparrison: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=7376&d2=7375

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My copy from England arrived today.