The Mutilator from Arrow Video arrives this September.

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 10, 2015.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, the first thing that I always think of about this film is the convenience store scene. It doesn't make sense and it isn't funny. What the hell kind of college kid buys so little beer for himself and his friends for an entire weekend?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Lol, I know right. There's a lot of silly shit like that in the film. It doesn't entertain me enough for me to care to revisit it again.

3. Zombie Dude

I can't agree with you there Angelman. I find it mostly dull except for a few bits. I find re-watching a lot of these kind of films that if the characters don't interest me then I get bored really quickly.
    I love Squirm for instance and not a lot happens in that but I really enjoy the character's which elevates the film greatly for me.

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

If I had to guess you're in your mid-to-late 20's and grew up with stuff like Buffy reruns on TV. The "teens" in the film are actually young adults in College. If they look to be in their "30's" to you try to think of them as mature young adults in their 3rd or 4th year of University ;) I can see why someone not really into these types of films would dismiss this movie, though. It's not a typical teeny-bopper chase-through-the-woods music video that a lot of young folks today grew up with. American teens from that era actually looked older in real life that what we're used to seeing today. Today, a typical teen is, on average, about 5'2, rail thin and pale, is covered in piercings and tats and walks around with cell phones stuck to their faces. This is one of the reasons I love movies made between 1980-1988 - people looked "normal" in those days.

The girl who wanted to save herself for marriage, while admittedly an odd character trait for a horror movie, is a refreshing departure from the norm. To hate the character based on that (which, I assume, is one of the reasons which has lead to your general dislike of the film) is silly. Do you prefer cookie-cutter characters doing what everyone else does?

Too many people say they don't like this film because of irrational things characters do or because of little things they've nitpicked, like characters engaging in an innocent "game" of hide and seek - I mean, seriously? Since when do characters in ANY horror films do rational things? I judge movies based on the overall experience as a whole and The Mutilator, to me, was NEVER boring.

russweiss and fceurich39 like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Haha, yeah I'm 26 next week. Never seen Buffy though. Not a huge fan of tats and the look of tatted up people in movies. Same with piercings, not a fan of a lot of those. Also kinda hate the new cell phones in movies thing. Obviously movies need to adapt with the times but I usually prefer the older films where they weren't around. So your presumptions on my tastes is way off ;)

As for The Mutilator, it just doesn't interest me much. I actually enjoyed it during my first viewing and found it interesting enough but on subsequent sittings I just find it gets old pretty quick. It doesn't hold up well for me and I tend to try and look at films for their replay-ability these days as I can't see the point buying a release if I'm not going to revisit it. As a one time watch if you've never seen it before I'd absolutely recommend checking it out.

So no, I don't hate the film just for the female character saving herself :rolleyes: She annoyed me, sure, but it's not a big factor as to why I don't care much for the film.

elDomenechHDG likes this.
  6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

First let me say, I enjoy the Mutilator, a lot, but I disagree with this. It's kind of known thing that 80's slashers regularly had people well above high school or even college-age portraying characters in the 16-22ish age bracket. Hell, Eli Roth made a whole joke out of that with his "Thanksgiving" trailer and was going to take it to the extreme with the cancelled feature film. For whatever reason, producers in the 80's seemed to have no concern about realistically hiring age appropriate actors in a lot of cases. Even my mom (born in 1965) has pointed this out in both horror and non-horror films.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Just as well. Wet Hot American Summer beat him to the punch on that joke by at least 6 years.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Why didn't I think of this immediately? And then they dug the joke in even deeper with the prequel where some of them are pushing 50!

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much of that is intentionally exaggerated but lol none of that is true. You think the fashion and crazy hairstyles of the 1980s looked "normal"? I'm sure adults in the 80s thought the same things about teens back then that you do about teens today. I think you're looking at through a nostalgic lens. Kids were just as weird back then as they are today.

Anyway, I love The Mutilator. It's crap, but it's such a weird off-beat movie that I can't help but love it. That scene in the convenience store, the upbeat sitcom theme during the opening credits, the gore, the terrible acting. I love it for the same reasons I love Blood Rage (although that one takes it a bit further lol).

~Matt

10. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

I've been patiently waiting for this to drop in price. But for months it's stagnant at 28 bucks. Add shipping and I can't justify paying over 30 bucks for this........ but I watched this for the first time earlier this year on Amazon prime (I think) and thought it was awesome.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Amazon $23.21

DeepDiscount $21.46

Still this should be no more than $18

Mutilated Prey and Natas like this.
  12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Love the film. It has serious flaws obviously, but I grew up in the late 70's/early 80's (I'll be 50 next month!) so the feel of a lot of these films brings back great memories. I'm glad Arrow finally was able to find a pretty damn good source. I actually saw this at the drive-in when it first came out on a weird double bill with Kentucky Fried Movie. I own an original one sheet as well autographed by Buddy Cooper. Glad to have it in my library.

Mutilated Prey, Matt89 and Natas like this.
  13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'm also a fan of the film. The Arrow disc is a must own in my opinion. I hadn't seen the film since the early 90's and when I watched the blu-ray it brought back some great memories. Is it a slick, fast paced film? No. It is however quite entertaining. Watching the extras gives you more appreciation for the film too.