the new Dario Argento film "DRACULA" in 3D?!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, May 13, 2010.

1. deepred

deepred Member

Once he broke up with Daria Nicolodi, his movies started to lose their shine. She was the one to really inspire him during his golden period. She was the one to suggest Dario collaborate with Goblin, suggested going into the fantasy realm and even was called in to co-write Inferno during filming when Argento started to struggle without her help. I feel she doesn't get enough credit for what she brought to his career.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I also have a lot of respect and affection for Argento. I imagine watching this movie will be kind of like finding out your high school girlfriend is now working the streets. Very depressing.

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I decided to check it out today. I did a review for it here. Although after reading Steel's post above, my review can be summed up by me saying "Yeah, what that guy said." as we both seemed to point out the same flaws, only I did it with way too many words. I didn't find it to be the worst thing in the world, but yeah, it's pretty brutal.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

i have managed to watch 50 mins so far and it's fucking awful, everything is wrong with this, the acting, script, the music, god the music, dario if this is the best you can come up with, please please give up, it's really not worth it.

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Is it worse than his Phantom of the Opera?

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

definately, words can't describe how bad, i'm just gonna finish the film now, i don't expect it will get any better but i want to at least get to the end.

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Ha…I read the review. I am not denying that the film is as terrible as you guys have mentioned, but those screenshots that accompany your review look kind of cool…stylistically anyway. Could this movie be enjoyable if say perhaps one has low expectation going into it?...maybe have a couple of emergency brews on hand?

I’m all for a bunch of nude European chicks too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Well my expectations are so low now that I'll have to enjoy it because at this point i'm expecting "The Room" or "Troll 2".

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

At least "Troll 2" was fun...

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Well I personally really enjoy terrible movies and I did find myself laughing a lot. It's a nearly 2 hour long movie but for some reason I never found myself too bored during, so I guess it's decently paced. So I don't know, if you enjoy watching a bad movie while you and your friends yell funny shit at the screen I think this is a great movie to watch for that purpose.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just checked it out and honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. The setting looked great, good atmosphere, gore and the lack of colour manipulation was refreshing. Sure the CGI was terrible but I hate all CGI, so that didn't bother me. The acting wasn't great but name me an Argento film that is known for it's great acting. Again that didn't bother me. There were hookey scenes but I come to expect that in Argento's later works. Like what Suicide said, it wasn't boring. It held my attention and seeing Argento direct Asia in nude scenes, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. What more can I say, I felt it was your average Argento modern film. Cheesy, a flew elements of what used to make him great but still entertaining.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

i've managed to watch to the end now and it's still shit, there was only one scene i enjoyed it made this painfull experience at lease worth while and it's dracula's revenge scene on the locals, won't say anymore apart from it's a great fun scene and the practical effects were great, apart from that one scene it is a boring mess.

13. sade

sade Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. As someone said before in this thread, I had to stop watching the first time after 50 mins. The music & the sets vary throughout the movie from pretty decent to awful. The acting is horrible, and it sounds like Dario is still recording all the dialogues in the studio, which is very distracting.

I guess I've lost all hope that one day any of my favs directors (D.Lynch/J.Carpenter/D.Argento/D.Cronenberg) will ever release anything good again.

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I officially gave up on Romero and Argento. I don't want to tarnish my view of them anymore. I also do not want to spend my spare time watching bad movies when I can be watching better ones, or go for a walk, even.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw this a few nights ago and wasn't impressed. It's sad to see a master like Argento amount to this. The whole thing felt like a tv movie. The colour pallet was so bland it was surprising to even thing Argento was involved. No bright and colourful lighting in this one. Also, no inventive camera angles. It was all so standard I could only make it an hour in before deciding to skim through the rest.

I will say that the effects weren't atrocious. Sure they were bad and didn't fit the film but that was because they looked cartoony. They were well rendered and looked alright in a Who Framed Rodger Rabbit kind of way. The effect that bugged me were the flies; so unnecessary.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Eh, it wasn't THAT bad. Certainly not recommendable but if it was a film student's first effort I'd say they definitely had potential for steady work for SyFy Channel and they might even surprise us in the future; therein lies the problem. This isn't up and comers gaining their footing this is a seasoned pro losing his. As has already been stated the lighting is colorless and blown out. The framing is very flat 2D looking like a Mario side-scroller. The music gave it more of an Ed Wood feel then anything else. There's a lot of little things in here that seem like mistranslations almost and it felt like the film got a little lost in parts. Hauer's action scenes really stood out as lackluster compared to all the other fast action and ambitious scenes. It just played like a Europeans' delayed reaction to Coppola's Dracula.

Still it feels like Argento tried here with a somewhat original script and overall I liked a lot of the acting choices. I didn't even mind the flies so much.
    The praying mantis was a bit much but if they had restructured that to be the female vampire biting a dude's head off it could have worked.
    Even the 50's sci-fi music cues grew on me after awhile; especially after they mixed in some more strings. There was much here that felt so close yet so far away from being good. A tweak here and some massaging there really could have helped this along.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  17. marcx

marcx New Member

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I watched this over the weekend and was mildly entertained. However the whole production kind of had a strange sega-cd like feel. What I mean is, remember when cd-based video games first came out? They had some digitized videos used as cut-scenes. This film felt kind of like that somehow.

I'm not quite sure what I can fault Argento with here. I can't pinpoint what he did wrong, or to put it more accurately, what he did any different than he usually does. I think I'll give it another viewing before really deciding.

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

That´s the exact same thing I was thinking, watching this turd :D

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Phantom is a masterpiece compared to this piece of shit. I was there at the first screening at Cannes Film Festival. I kept asking myself "Why am I doing this?".