The next remake: Stephen King's IT

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jun 7, 2006.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So I went back and watched the original TV version and started reading the book(about 3/4 done)

The remake is is good like I said before. But the original TV version is closer to the book(what I've read so far) The time period is the same as the book(50's then 80's), Pennywise is depicted exactly as he is in the book.(the remake is not) They way the original plays out (back and forth from adult to kids) is the same as the book. So many other things. The whole TV version of Georgie death is closer to the book. Sure they don't show the arm getting ripped of(it was television), but the body was found. In fact the whole concept of Georgie body never being found and is "somewhere" in the sewers in not how the book went. And that's a HUGE part of the remake. It's the whole quest by the brother which never lets it go and wants to find Georgie. This is not even close to what the story is supposed to be. There's a lot of other small parts that are in TV version and not in the remake and vice versa. Too many to list. One small one was when Georgie goes to the basement. The remake was over the top, slow, he sees glowing eyes, sounds, etc... In the TV version he was scared to go downstairs, but it was fast and to the point & we all could relate to the little boy being afraid. The book described his fear in detail, the remake showed all his fears in detail. The TV version let us as viewers use our imagination what was scary about the basement. Which we've all done so many times.

Like I stated twice already I really liked the remake. It used it's R rating to depict scenes closer to the novel, the Ben bullying in particular. There was a couple of other scenes that the TV version could never do back then, but in all reality the remake could have been PG-13, it wasn't that violent imo. The TV version is very 80's even though it came out 1990. But it has a charm about it that I still enjoyed. The kids are actually very good as they are in the remake, but some of the adult performances were weak. Mike & Ben were my favorites as adults. Also the kids in the original are "tougher" imho than the ones in the remake. It's hard to describe but they were just like the book. Now this is not necessary to have in the remake but I applaud the TV version to have the guts to address the racism and use of language. I forgot that stuff was in the original and didn't know(until now) that touchy subject was heavily part of the book.

Last thing. I forgot most of the TV version completely so when I watched it and it went from kids to adults several times, that threw me. I could have sworn it was half kids than the 2nd part was the adults. I was totally wrong, but hey that's what the book is, as I found out after reading. Not sure which way I like the telling of the story as a film. Maybe the original. But I'll bet anything the 2nd installment of the It remake will include flashback scenes.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

In Mother Russia, murderous clowns promote McDonalds, contends Russian Burger King:
    http://www.newsweek.com/burger-king...banned-because-its-promoting-mcdonalds-671438

zbinks likes this.
  3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That article's claims that Ronald McDonald is less murderous than IT are dubious.

X-human and Steel76 like this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

Steel76 and zbinks like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The sequel is scheduled for September 2019. Looking forward to seeing who they cast as the adult actors.

Workshed and Steel76 like this.
  6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Beep, beep!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ight-shyamalans-the-sixth-sense/#76c3c4d344f4

Doesn't it have to surpass Jaws for that top-grossing horror spot, or has it already done so?

Steel76 likes this.
  7. zbinks

Already done. Jaws was $260 million.

Zombie Dude, Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  8. Workshed

Oh shit. We're gonna need a bigger box office!

Steel76 likes this.
  9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

People that read Baggio's story need to reread the link. It has been updated.

zbinks likes this.
  10. maybrick

The miniseries may be closer to the book, but that only verifies my belief that King novels don't translate all that well to the screen without substantial rework.

othervoice1 and Workshed like this.
  11. Workshed

Plus, it's an adaptation. In no way is it a 100% reproduction of the novel to film form. Adaptations will be different, sometimes significantly, sometimes minutely.

12. maybrick

Exactly. It always seems that with his work in particular, the closer to the source material the film is, the worse it becomes. I'm speaking more about the ones with fantastical elements than the "true crime" stories like Misery, Shawshank, Stand By Me and Dolores Claiborne.

Workshed likes this.
  13. zbinks

To be fair, IT still has a long ways to go to catch up to the "Adjusted" gross domestic box office numbers of Jaws ($1,138,620,700) or The Exorcist ($983,226,600). I don't see that happening.

Workshed likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I love that this is doing so well at the box office. I can't wait to watch it again :D