The next remake: Stephen King's IT

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jun 7, 2006.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Huh? Curry's Pennywise was not too comical. Did I really just read that right? Gotta be the meds....

Anyways yeah this looks great.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, I thought he was more hilarious than scary ;)
    But I didn't read the book, so maybe he's supposed to be funny at times?

And maybe the new IT will pull some jokes as well.
    I just want my clowns to be scary as fuck, and don't clown around :D ;)

Harry Warden likes this.
  3. MisterTwister

He's to come across as a typical clown....until you get closer to him.

I'm seriously hope the new Pennywise isn't evil as fuck looking the entire runtime. It will make him less effective IMO.

Steel76 and Harry Warden like this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It looks a lot less comical to me. Oooooh, especially when he is rising out of the water. Creepy. Yeah, I have to agree with MisterTwister though. I thought Curry was funny at times, but for me he was terrifying as well. At first he appears harmless, but you soon realize he is very savage.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Tim Curry was terrifying. Ask anyone who saw the film as a kid. It was kind of a kids' movie anyway, as evidence-able by the fact that they removed all the "adult" stuff from King's book and... well, d'uh, it of course was a made-for-TV movie.

But it has transcended its station in history and become a piece of pop culture that we remember not just because it made an impact once, at only one time. It is still an effective film. Tim Curry Pennywise is still scary. And no one ever forgot "they all float down here" either. I mean, compare this to Children of the Corn- which also was a long-running joke in various Hollywood movies. But, did anyone remember one thing about the movie? Let alone things as specific as quotes and the look of the villain.

Anyway... this new movie...

#1: It does not look any more adult than the 1990 miniseries. I haven't seen Stranger Things but I've seen clips and this just looks like a retread / rip-off of that. (With a little Stand by Me thrown in for gits and shiggles.)

#2: This new Pennywise is not scarier than Tim Curry. Only one shot works here: the glowing eyes rising out of the water. That's it. The slideshow scene is a disaster. Why is the revealing detail the clown's golden long wavy hair? How is that scarier than Tim Curry's MONSTER ROAR and sloooooooow flipping / running up to the camera down the old-timey street and climb up the street lamp? It isn't. Curry in the scrap book scene is much scarier!

#3: Georgy hits his head on the street sign... That was not only hilariously distracting, but made me think this trailer was going to be a parody. (Please tell me those are coming soon.) (Honest Trailers, HOOK US UP!!!) Ghost Georgy trying to lure Bill into the sewer... That was not scary at all.

#4: The new Pennywise doesn't talk. Does this mean they know he isn't scary?

#5: Black blood. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

#6: This trailer is clearly devoted to preparing us for all the scares being jump scares. Now... I never read the book, but I remember vividly that a big part of the 1990 miniseries was tapping into what each child was most afraid of. We are seeing 0% return on that investment in this trailer. Well, that might not be true. But only the scene of the hands coming out of the wall-sized door bucks that trend.

This looks like it's going to come up extremely short of providing deep thought, deep terror, or anything more than just "ooh, look at the small town-lazy day atmosphere." It's too bright. Warm. Sunny. The original movie looked a lot more overcast. That was scarier. It was. It felt like anything could happen at any time. This... doesn't.

And... Pennywise SUPER-CHARGE-AGGRESSIVE-RUNS-AT-THE-CAMERA... That is so very high on my No-No List for millennial horror. Don't overplay villains by having them super-run at the camera, super-grab people, grunt like a forest animal, or throw anyone across rooms. You must build fear. You can't just drop it onscreen like a mouse in a snake-pit.

Harry Warden likes this.
  6. MisterTwister

I'm not knocking the remake. I think it looks great so far but I'm hoping the new Pennywise doesn't have his horror face on the whole time. Why would poor Georgie stick around the sewage drain if Pennywise looked like he was ready to rip him apart?

Harry Warden and buck135 like this.
  7. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I think the trailer looks fantastic. Looking forward to this.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've never seen the original, so I can't compare, but this looked meh, very pg-13 if you ask me.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. MisterTwister

Well it's been confirmed that it's R rated .

As for DVD-Fan's post...

We have no idea if Pennywise will talk or not. This is just a teaser little one.

Also the blood from the sink scene will be red in the final film. This is a green band trailer little one.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Steel76 likes this.
  10. Harry Warden

Yes, I am so glad it's R rated. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Definitely agree that Tim Curry was terrifying. He played the role so well. You could see how kids might be drawn to him and his playfulness but you knew that it was all on the surface and what lurked beneath was far from a funny clown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for your points on the trailer, I don't really agree.

1. This new film is meant to be rated R (unless that changes). This trailer on the other hand is just a green band so they're not going to show much blood or gore. You can't go by this trailer for that. Also, I felt Stanger Things took the group of kids concept from novels like IT and those classic 80's movies (ST is a throwback after all). Also it can't be a rip-off of that if it's in the source material that the film is following.

2. I'm not sure how you can say if this new Pennywise is scary on not from this trailer. They show little of him and I'm willing to bet scenes like the slideshow were cut frantically for the trailer. In that scene it seems the kids were looking at a picture of a woman who, at the flip of her hair, becomes Pennywise (as opposed to him just having some nice golden long hair ;)).

3. I did laugh at that scene but I also like it. Kids do stupid shit and hardly look where they're going when they're excited so it felt true to life. I also thought Georgy luring Bill into the sewer was very reminiscent of the tv movie which made me smile. I'm sure it's something that's in the book too but it really reminded me of Tim's Pennywise.

4. Again, trailer. Just because he doesn't talk in this trailer doesn't mean he won't be talking. That whole Georgy luring Bill scene is Pennywise in disguise so I think it's very safe to bet he'll be talking. Plus scenes like Pennywise popping up in the sewer when Georgy looses his boat wouldn't work if he didn't talk.

5. Maybe it's not blood, just gunk?

6. This trailer does have jump scares but it doesn't nesecerily mean the movie will be full of them. Trailers do this sort of thing a lot so I'd take it with a grain of salt for now. Tapping into what each child is afraid of is part of the book so I very much expect it to be a part of this.

12. MisterTwister

The Duffer Brothers wanted the job of remaking IT but were rejected by whoever. They decided to make a little show called Stranger Things instead....

13. Harry Warden

Man alive..just look at the hate filled stare in the second photo. Chilling.

DVD-fanatic-9 and Zombie Dude like this.
  14. MisterTwister

Honestly I thought everyone would disagree with me on Curry's performance.

15. Zombie Dude

Are you kidding? He's performance is what makes the tv movie so memorable. I doubt it would be quite as popular or a part of pop culture if it wasn't for Tim Curry.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

Why would I say blood and gore would make this movie scarier / more adult? I know why other people might, but I am not like other people. Ask around. This is the right board to get responses on that question. :D

I love the internet. I don't mean this to sound insulting, but this is pure naivety. (Not coming from you alone, I'm talking about the entire spectrum of the way people view Hollywood today.) People on the internet belonging to big fandoms tend to claim they don't pay attention to advertising, marketing and so therefore they aren't cynical, etc. Well- I do pay attention. And, let me tell you something: the people making this film might not know that a Stranger Things is in production before it's ready and they might not know how it's going to look, etc. But, when a promotional campaign for one release launches an entire year or more before another, there is - in fact - plenty of time to change the promotional campaign for the release an entire year or more after another. If their promotion allows this movie to look or feel strikingly similar to anything else, this is a scheme. And any scheme should be treated as exactly that: manipulative, underhanded, etc.

This is Hollywood we're talking about. Why do so many people defend Hollywood? You will never see the kind of money that gets blown on an ad campaign for a film in your entire life. Nor will anyone you ever know. What's wrong with treating a snake like a snake?

Besides: who says Stranger Things invented the aesthetic? Or that this IT redo did it first? Maybe they're both piggybacking the general look/feel of Stand by Me. Or something more modern. If I spent all day researching modern kids' movies / movies about kids- I'll bet I'd find dozens over the last decade at least that look similar. So, if you knew that look and feel, you'd realize how unoriginal all of this was. (So, it's obviously a great deal for Stranger Things that I've heard the plot and characters are pushing for something less standard than most of what we see coming out now. IT, on the other hand, is being redone to "legitimatize" this character and the book as a bankable brand name. Because Hollywood doesn't think it can make money off a Pennywise they feel is anything like the 1990 miniseries. Which... is why you see me making these arguments that what they're doing with the new Pennywise isn't working as well.)

Well, you do realize that my post is just a prediction anyway. If this remake were attached to Platinum Dunes, then it would suck and we would all know that before it was released. Regardless of how impressed anyone was with the promotions.

Now... if you've seen modern horror, you know that chaotic style of editing in trailers often matches the films themselves. There's no other way to posit a "speeding bullet" Pennywise running at you through at least ankle-deep sewer water. And, just recutting the slideshow scene won't save it now since we have all been told the reveal. You think we won't remember that if we go to see the film, theatrically? The film has already been sold to us in test form. Recutting won't change almost anything now. Unless you haven't seen the trailer. But... ha, we all pretty much have.

You have to hand it to me for the golden hair thing- it goes with the look they have for his full-body clown costume. If you've been checking out the film's other promotional materials, he might as well be Baby Herman from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I'm only following where the film leads me.

It felt like slapstick.

Oh... no. The Georgy in the TV-movie was faded, his voice had all the life drained out of him, and was inhumanly ghostly / haunting by the time the vision of him shows up in the sewer. I remember this film very, very well- better than most, I dare say. And that version worked. This version is a joke. You can't just show him there like he's still alive, looking still alive, and have him start yelling at Bill. That wouldn't even work in The Evil Dead. And, that film just had the actors acting like real people out of makeup when they wanted to trick Ash. This wouldn't work in the 80's, let alone the early 90's. And it doesn't work now either. Since we don't see the transition from human to evil voices like we do with the gas station attendant, the drug store owner, the old woman in the abandoned house, etc- as we do in the original film. So... so much for ideas they could have stolen from the original film. (Which a lot of today's audiences would not be familiar with- so they would scare the crap out of these people.)

But it is still an advertisement and they would know from test screenings whether or not Pennywise could scare people with his voice. I suspect they are withholding his voice because it didn't test well. (I know they could always re-record it, but...) This is not a wild assumption- a lot of film promotion very aptly reads the film they are promoting. And sell you exactly what you're getting. In this case, that's an image of a killer clown that isn't scary. If they were smart, they might even tell us that he's a shapeshifter. After all... you would know that if you'd read the book. Or saw the 1990 film/miniseries. So... what the hell? See: that's my point with the Georgy thing as well. We're not seeing any of the shapeshifting elements being used at all. Even though, you know, they did that in The Evil Dead remake promotions. So... Why hide it from us? They have no reason to.

They chose to show us absolutely nothing scary in this trailer. Why hold back everything that works? Is this going to be a 3-hour feature film (or, heck, something more 2:30 like The Shining) and pack a huge wallop? I very much doubt it. They could sell us a better trailer from that.

My point wasn't just how Georgy looks coming "back from the dead," and the fact that he talks too straight-forwardly (see, the 1990 film twisted everything or added a coat of fantasy / unreality to these situations), it's what he chooses to say. And how it sounds coming out of his mouth. Remember that this was a key scene featured in this trailer and this is the only real trailer showing us anything we can expect to see in the final film. What we're seeing here isn't good. This scene doesn't work. Even if this is the least "scary" thing in the final scene and this is being geared toward people who know the book inside out and will see this as the lead-up to one of the biggest scares of the movie. That's not smart- to push us away from a scare that works. Or not use a fraction of great material, like again, Georgy shapeshifting. Which, again, is faulty because we know Georgy is already dead by this point (again, we know the 1990 movie) and we know that live younger brother Georgy wouldn't talk this way.

It's a literal waste of screen time. And screen time is not a smart thing to waste. Even in an advertisement. There are a million better ways to communicate what they were trying to communicate between the characters, whether they were Bill and Georgy or Bill and Pennywise. (Also, every wide shot on Georgy's side of that scene feels like a botched closeup.)

Even though I think it's safe to say the character being gunked is Bev?

Also: if it is gunk... what is this movie now, Saw III? ("Well, hello little girl. My research shows that your greatest fear would be the ability to mud wrestle with yourself in a room filled with human waste...") ("Enjoy!")

Tip of the iceberg?

I'd change my entire tune after a follow-up trailer. But if this is all we get? Nope. I'm sticking to my guns. Which blaze a lot hotter and flare a lot brighter than Twister's, any day of the week.

17. MisterTwister

I thought everyone would accuse me of being "nostalgic"

Harry Warden likes this.
  18. DVD-fanatic-9

Sure.

Because you're so vulnerable.

[​IMG]

19. Zombie Dude

I'm not going to go through and comment on everything in your post because you just seem to be acting overly cynicle of what's being labled as a Teaser Trailer. I think it does a good job of teasing things to the fans. Creepy clown is enough to sell it to the gereral public. You sound like you want the whole god damn movie shown to you, I don't get it.
    Next trailer you'll probably complain they showed too much (even though you mentioned them already spoiling the slideshow scene which makes me think you want to see everything as well as nothing).

Anyway I tried responding to your earlier points but you just gloss over what I say and continue to have an "I'm right, you're wrong' attitude which makes it pretty pointless discussing this with you.

At the end of the day you seem to be picking this film apart just from a teaser. Trailers can often be misleading to what the final film is like.
    Not at all. Curry is a legend :)

Natas likes this.
  20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I never bothered watching the TV movie, having read the book. I mean, it was pretty brutal. I'm down with this R-rated rendition.