The next remake: Stephen King's IT

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jun 7, 2006.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

As Natas said, where you go and when you go are important, depending on the experience you're looking for. If you want an audience that shuts up, turns their phones off and is respectful of others, go to the matinees.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Steel76, othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Funny, I've wondered the same thing. Living in (and around) the biggest city in Canada, I still haven't experienced anything more than what Steel76 mentions. I remember years ago going to see an awful movie called Soul Survivors with Eliza Dushku, and some idiots near the front started smoking weed. They didn't make a lot of noise, but the smoke and smell was terrible. Otherwise, no real theater horror stories.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The last bad experience I had was at an Imax theater for Inception. At that time, you had to rush to the back of this particular theater to avoid getting a bad seat because the screen is six stories high. A jackass yelled "This row is mine!," because her children hadn't made their way up there yet. I was going to sit there, but I found a few seats behind this woman's "row." Once everyone was seated, I very loudly stated to the audience that the row I was now situated in was mine and that I would be taking the seats home with me once the film concluded. This thoroughly embarrassed the woman and amused the other patrons.

Another instance that springs to mind was at a small theater showing Black Swan. Halfway through, a middle-aged woman sitting next to me takes out her phone and accesses what I believe to be her Facebook account. I lost my patience after a few minutes of this. I asked "Can you not do that please?" with a rather loud and unpleasant tone. She apologized and put her phone away for the rest of the film.

With this new Movie Pass nonsense, I doubt I'll ever frequent the movie theaters the way that I used to. I love Imax and 3D which Movie Pass doesn't support thankfully, so I will still go occasionally.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

NYTimes gives it a mostly positive review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/it-review-stephen-king.html?mcubz=0

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Workshed

Telegraph highlights a tonal shift between scenes that may pose an issue:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/06/review-stephen-kings-evil-clown-tale-no-laughing-matter/

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing this and thought it was great. I had a really good time with this new adaptation and it was pretty damn neat to finally see a violent version of IT brought to life. The cast was superb and the set pieces looked great. Pennywise was done really well and I enjoyed this new portrayal of the character. He was quite menacing and creepy. I did wish he had a few more scenes of dialogue with some of the other characters as he mainly shows up to scare the shit out of them. That being said it was cool to see a lot more of his forms here used to scare the Losers Club and I thought his house was a great aspect to the story which the mini series never touched on. Bring on the next one!

7. Workshed

io9 enjoyed it, too:

Steel76 likes this.
  8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It adds to the experience!
    I, however, NEVER understood the clown hysteria. As if there weren't REAL horrors out there in the world that were far more likely to F up one's life.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Since Clowns get so angry about a fictional character, I wonder what they thought of THIS guy ;)
    [​IMG]

fceurich39 and Workshed like this.
  11. Workshed

Never found clowns scary. Or funny. Just strange.

buck135 and Steel76 like this.
  12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I went to the theater last night to see the new Spiderman (really enjoyed it), and there were signs up all over the theater saying that It was rated 18A (our R), that people under 18 would not be permitted, and that ID was necessary to see the film. I then went in, and there were several arguments going on where people were trying to get in and being blocked by theater employees asking for ID. It was kind of a surreal experience.

Myron Breck and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I really enjoyed it. Maybe my familiarity with the story prevented it from being truly terrifying but it's definitely creepy and disturbing (and funny and sweet and heartbreaking as well.) I thought Skarsgard was great as Pennywise and the all kid actors were outstanding. It's been years since I read the book but it was great being reminded of scary elements that weren't included in the TV movie version but restored here. Hands down the best movie I've seen this year, horror or otherwise.

I really hope they do justice to the second part of the book. There's already talk of who should play adult versions of the kids. My vote goes to Fairuza Balk as Beverly. I know it will never happen but that's who Sophia Lillis reminded me of. And the kid who played Eddie reminded me so much of Max Casella from Doogie Howser I thought it might have been his son.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought it was fantastic. I loved the Losers Club just as much as I loved the Amblin kids of the '80s. In fact, it was pretty much everything I was hoping Stranger Things would be. It even got a standing ovation at the end of the movie, which usually never happens at the multiplex (usually just film festival screenings).

I'm still a bit taken aback to see an R-rated studio horror film THIS good (and of course, it would be New Line). They more than earned their $100 million opening weekend. How exciting to see quality horror doing this well, both critically and financially.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Oh....crap...!!!! Now that is scary!

Steel76 likes this.
  16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I think "Pogo" might have been one of those "Lipstick Clowns" that the Vice.com article referenced. ;)

Steel76 likes this.
  17. Steel76

Saw the movie last night, and if was fucking great!

It felt a bit weird at first seeing a new version of Pennywise, but I instantly fell in love with him.
    Skarsgård was a perfect fit for the role.
    Not only the crazy look, but also his psychotic performance.

Tim Curry's Pennywise, felt like a guy I would wanna have a beer with, but this one, hell no.
    I would run until my legs fell off :D

His insane rush attacks are both funny and disturbingly scary at the same time.
    Lot of fun tricks up his sleeve.

I though the kids were great as well, and acted brillantly throughout.
    There was definitely a Stranger Things vibe going on, much thanks to the inclusion of Finn Wolfhard in the cast.
    Also a bit of Elm Street feel to a couple of scenes :)

Had no problems with the use of CGI, to enhance some of the practical FX.

I'm glad they made it an R-rated movie, and didn't tone it down, like the mini-series.
    Even though it has some lighter moments, involving the kids, it's much darker in tone.

There is so much more, I wanted to talk about, but I don't want to spoil anything for you :)

Personally, I think this wipes the floor with the mini-series (even though I still have bit of nostalgia for part 1).
    Way better acting and much creepier moments.
    Both the cinematography and the score, was great as well.
    And they did the time period justice, with lots of fun nostalgic stuff in the backgrounds.

Hope part 2 delivers the same quality.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

19. Steel76

[​IMG]

baggio and Workshed like this.
  20. Workshed

I enjoyed this as well. It's only natural that the cinematic version be compared to the made-for-TV adaptation, but I still think it's unfair, mostly because of the scope of both projects. The TV version tried to cover it all, whereas this first installment covers only the kids' POV. The other reason it is unfair is because, outside of the Pennywise performance, the 2017 adaptation eclipses the TV version in just about every way.

Speaking of Pennywise, Skarsgård wisely went a different route with his performance. Less jokey and chummy, more outright predatory and otherworldly. In this way, he avoids comparison to Curry's legendary take on the character. But the 2017 Pennywise thankfully works; he's a menace, chasing down the kids with their worst fears. Bev experiences puberty, so what does Pennywise do? He fills her whole f-ing bathroom with blood and hair. Eddie's mother has made him afraid of germs, so what does Pennywise do? He f-ing chases him as an oozing leper. I appreciated that this film really tied the kids' fears to Pennywise's appearances. And man, do these kids ever deliver in their roles, especially Finn Wolfhard as Richie, who is tasked with finding humor in the film's darkest moments.

Aside from the grisly, shocking moment with Pennywise, Georgie, and Bill in the cellar, my favorite scene was the group swim at the quarry. It's connective tissue like this that I think the film needed more of. Instead, what we have here is a collection of very great set pieces and scares, but the overall scene setting was lacking. I didn't get a full sense of what plagued present-day Derry, of the hoodlums, or of the listlessness of the adults.

But wow, that final set in the sewers, of showing what Pennywise means by "float" and then the
    deadlights in his eyes.
    Awesome. It's a very enjoyable horror film that did right by its subject matter, even if it didn't quite achieve greatness. It's going to be a long wait until Chapter Two, though. Beep, beep.

P.S. I counted two references to turtles:
    in the dialogue at the quarry and then the LEGO turtle in Georgie's room.
    Any others?