The next remake: Stephen King's IT

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jun 7, 2006.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I think they're going about this the wrong way. Rallies won't help their business and will only draw more interest in the thing they're trying to protest. Their best bets would be to either wait IT out or figure out how they can get a piece of IT's action. I think there's money to be had in the form of "scary" clown parties geared towards adults.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  2. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I think they're just a buncha bozos myself.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Workshed, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. zbinks

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

About 15 minutes longer.
    Can't wait :)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's great news about a director's cut. I'd been wondering if that might happen. Would be sweet to get a 4k release too.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

The bluray better have both versions.

8. Zombie Dude

WB usually puts out both cuts when they do this sort of thing so hopefully that'll be the case.

9. zbinks

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4325&p=.htm

10. Zombie Dude

That's awesome that IT is making so much money. Looks like we'll probably be getting much more R horror hit cinemas after this. Hopefully we'll see a return from both Freddy and Jason too. Colour me excited!

hots4 and Steel76 like this.
  11. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Dude......when I went to see mother! on Saturday, there was a massive line out my local multiplex. I asked myself what kiddy flick just came out.....then I saw the sign "IT, sold out". And this was what, the 2nd or 3rd weekend it was out? I was amazed. You never see that at my theater aside from a star wars flick or something like this.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. zbinks

Maybe, but I think IT's huge box office numbers are less because of a demand for R-rated horror, in general, and more because it's IT. That being said, I think The Stand may be a hot property right now for a big screen adaptation, though The Dark Tower's disappointing box office numbers may offset that to some extent.

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Normally a studio will pick up on something if it's successful and normally the lowest common denominator, hopefully in this case it will be R Rated horror, however. whether said products will be of any quality is another story entirely!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw the film. It was pretty good. Glad it did well at the box office, as that will encourage more Rated R horror.. Now I have to go re watch the original to make better comparisons. Seriously don't remember much from the original as far as performances & how the kids handled each situation. Also, I never read the book , so I can't make that comparison obviously.

Just one note on Pennywise. Anybody could have played him in this remake. And all his "attacks" were very repetitious.(no fault of the actor) Other than that, the film was quite enjoyable.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Holy Toledo. I just realized this is now the number 1 release of a Stephen King book to movie, moving past Green Mile.

And....

It "could be" the number 1 Rated R Horror "box office" film of all time when it moves past The Exorcist (Worldwide). Only needs 37 million worldwide to do it. With it only being out 3 weeks it has an excellent chance. It's already the number 1 Rated R Horror "box office" film, (US release) of all time right now. Took 44 years to do it.

And....

Currently the number 9th spot of All Time Rated R (US) of ANY Genre.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I finally got to see this today - really enjoyed it. I personally was never a big fan of the tv mini series (although I do need to give it another chance sometime soon and I thought Tim Curry was great as Pennywise). I was a huge fan of the book when I read it as a kid but I have to admit I have forgotten a lot of the book over the years. This movie I felt stood out because of the kid actors who were all great. The scary parts to me were good but not amazing- but the kids stole the show. I have a feeling this is one I will like even more on a 2nd viewing and I look forward to a Directors cut with more footage. Bill Skarsgard was solid as Pennywise as well.

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I worked at a movie theater when BASIC INSTINCT came out and we had to guard the door to check IDs.

18. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Or else what?

Workshed likes this.
  19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing this and have to admit that I was kinda underwhelmed. It wasn't so much that it was a bad film. But, it really wasn't that scary. And, as at least one other person mentioned, a lot of the scares were repetitive. The kids certainly are well performed, but I thought the writing was rather weak and relied on a lot of repetition of single note beats to define them. And, as far as "it" goes, the creature really didn't have much of a sense of menace considering the way he would jump up, scare a kid, and then kinda run off. And the heavy reliance on jump scares with orchestral crashes got wearying.

On the plus sides, it certainly was an original story. It didn't wallow in the heavy nostalgia of something like "Stranger Things". The look of Pennywise was well done, even though it seems like they could have done more with him. But, that may also be a fault with the book.

And I will say that the set and costume designs felt more like 1979 than 1989. And the general dynamics of the kids seemed more Junior High than High School. But, that is likely just a thing that people my age may notice.

When it was all over, I can see why it's doing well. And, I did enjoy most of it. But, it lacked the sense of being something unique. It may have found a place in history due to the box office, but I can't see this being some classic that gets held up or revisited. Especially when compared to some of the other gems that have come out in the past few years.

Natas and Workshed like this.
  20. zbinks

I think they were supposed to be in Junior High.

[​IMG]

Barring a jump ahead in grades, 13 years old would place him squarely in 7th or 8th grade.

[​IMG]

...and it's possible Hockstetter had been held back a grade or two.

Steel76 and Workshed like this.