The NIGHT SCHOOL Thread

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by WesReviews, Feb 7, 2004.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I've never seen this early 80's slasher, but I often read positive reviews of it. I'm getting a copy in from Ebay soon, but would like to know what some of you think about it. Is this a decent slasher? What's good/bad about it?

Also, who would most likely own the rights to it now, for a potential DVD release?

The IMDB lists this info...

Production Companies
    Fiducial Resource Industrial
    Lorimar Productions
    Paramount Pictures [us]
    Resource Films

Distributors
    Key Video [us] (video)
    Paramount Pictures [us]
    Warner Home Video [us]

I've seen the old Key Video box art and the Warner Bros. box art (which is the version listed at the IMDB, I think) but I wasn't aware that Paramount had anything to do with this film at all. And the IMDB lists it as both being produced and distributed at some point by Paramount. The oldest VHS release i can remember for this film was by Key Video (i know it's the oldest because it's the version my parents' old video store used to have back in the day). Warner came next i'm pretty sure. If Paramount released it on video, it's had to have been sometime in the 90's, I would think. Could Paramount still own the rights? Or is it possible Warner Bros. has it?

Those of you who own Night School on VHS, what company released your copy? The copy I'm getting from ebay is the Key Video version.

Like all unreleased slashers, I hope this comes to DVD this year. Crossing my fingers.

ADDED:
    Here are the covers i have found...

Key Video Box Art
    [​IMG]

CONFIRMED Warner Bros. Box Art
    [​IMG]

There also appears to have been a CBS/Fox release (so now I'm really confused)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  2. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I think Fox owns Key Video because I own the key Video VHS tapes of Terror Train and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and I know Fox owns those films. Night School is a decent slasher. It had some fun stalk and slash scenes and a decent amount of gore. It stars Rachel Ward from The Final Terror. I like the ending to this one too.

3. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

decent slasher , but if your looking for gore ,look someplace else i own the u.k. precert under the title "terror eyes" apparently this film was banned in britian as a video nasty, why i don't know(i assume because of the grisly box art)....

this film has lots of off-screen decapitations.......

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I recall renting Night School a couple years back. I must have also seen it years before on TV, because it seemed somewhat familiar. I don't remember too much about it now, but it was enjoyable.

I wonder if "Key Video" was reusrrected recently as "Key DVD", who are also distributed through Fox.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I have the Key Video release. Never knew Warner & Paramount also distributed this?

Anyways, pretty neat slasher /w cheesy moments.
    Rachel Wards endless shower scene is one of my faves :)

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I really like NIGHT SCHOOL, I own a copy of the Key Video release. It's not very gory but it's well shot and has a good storyline. I just wish this one would get a DVD release, along with HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.

I doubt Paramount or Warner had anything to do with this film. Not everything you read on IMDB is true...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2004
  7. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Well, here's proof that at least Paramount had something to do with the film...

[​IMG]

So they released the film into theaters...but why didn't they distribute it on video?

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That's very odd indeed ....

9. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

coool ass poster .....where ja get it???????????

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

GOOD NEWS
    Through an inquiry made at the Home Theater Forum, I now know who owns Night School.

"I can tell your right now Paramount has no claim to NIGHT SCHOOL. That film was released under an arrangement NIGHT SCHOOL's production company Lorimar had with Paramount in the '80's. All Lorimar titles belong to Warner Bros. now."

And as luck would have it, there is a chat with a Warner Bros. rep scheduled at the HTF for the middle of March. I will be attending and know just what to ask him about! :)

Found it in an auction listing at ebay.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Very cool. Let's hope Warners releases this baby on DVD soon.

12. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I liked Night School, Warner Brothers released the tape of it I have. It was one of the better slashers, but the best slasher is Final Exam, whoever owns this movie put it out on dvd now!!

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

How could you ever think Final Exam is the best slasher? That movie was so dull! :cry:

14. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Night School is a decent flick. Its a little too drawn out though with some rather boring stretches. The kills aren't too satisfying either. Still, don't get me wrong, its not a piece of shit in the vein of He Knows You're Alone or Iced. Its decent enough and worth a watch, its just a little bland. There are a few standout scenes though. Its been a while since I last saw it, so I'd probably buy a DVD and see if I'd like it more.

Final Exam is a great little slasher gem, and as far as I know, MGM owns the rights. I posted an idea at the HTF for MGM to release an excellent slasher line this October. Probably won't happen though.

15. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Finally watched Night School...and I really liked it.

WAY more giallo than a lot of early 80's slasher movies were. In fact, i thought it struck the perfect slasher/giallo ballance. It did have slow stretches, but this allowed for a moderate amount of character development. The killer was pretty creepy too (though i guessed the ending way ahead of time).

An excellent slasher. Highly-recommended fun. :)

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just got around to checking this little old school 80's slasher out and overall found it entertaining. I'm not sure how a movie with so many decapitations could have such little gore, but oh well. A little boring at times for sure. Was the sidekick cop the dry cleaner from Seinfeld that always wears other people's clothes (his wife too)? :lol:

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Night School is a favourite of mine. It's an enjoyable, above-average spin on the slasher formula with a some decent suspense, a little bit of sleaze, and a fun plot twist. It's one of my most wanted on DVD for the moment.

I love the reading of the line "It's this culture that's uncivilized, where a woman isn't allowed to defend herself and the ones that she loves." :)

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  18. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I quite liked Night School. I always remember the head in the toilet, the aquarium death scene, and the cut to where the killer slashes the playground victim and it goes to the back of the woman's red shirt. I always thought that was well done. I will say that 'surprise' ending pissed me off. That wasn't good, haha.

19. promnight13

promnight13 New Member

Warner does own NS .

You guys can make NS happen on DVD if you contact Warner Archive (either on Facebook or their official site) and poiltely request it. They do listen to consumers.

I have already done this myself several times but need more support.

I would LOVE to see this little underrated 80s slasher out finally. If only we had hopes for Curtains, Humongous, Hospital Massacre and New Year's Evil too.

20. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I sent them a message. Very politely, for a widescreen release. I was going to ask for some extras, but had to remind myself that it probably wouldn't come out at all anyways. I mean, yeah, extras are great, but sometimes you just want the damn flick in its intended ratio. Haha

ADDED: DVDaf says Paramount owns Night School. Though, it could be wrong...

Last edited: May 16, 2010