The Official Amityville Horror 2005 Reaction thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Apr 14, 2005.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Got my free ticket and I'm ready-to-rock. :banana:

There is great advance word at Rotten Tomatoes thus far, so this film's appeal may go beyond genre enthusiasts. Some of them are promising actual scares! Now that would fun.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/amityville_horror/

I think I will actually hit it opening day, since it's free and all. :glasses:

2. indiephantom

3. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I seriously want to go this weekend with my free ticket too! I hope this one really stays "faithful" to the "true" stories.

4. So you wanna see a family scheming in a house with a lawyer to make money off of a fake haunting?

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm gonna go with a friend next week... yay for free tickets! Well, her's isn't going to be free but well... yeah. :banana:

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This is one remake I don't mind. The original lacked so much of what made the book terrifying. It plays like a TV movie to me. Speaking of TV movies, I was actually scared outta my shoes with HAUNTED the film starring Sally Kirkland that is based on a true story.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm going either Friday or Saturday to see it. I hope it turns out to be really good... great thing for the free ticket! :banana:

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

I just ordered the set from DDD. When does the ticket expire? I'd like to take advantage of it and see it over the next few weeks. My set shipped, so I should get it sometime next week.

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

The ticket is valid through May 8.

10. Now that the official thread has been created, I'll let U guys know I saw a pre-screening this Tuesday and I have to say, it was good, but not GREAT by any means. As a movie standing on its own, it had its scare moments (maybe 2 or 3). Unfortunately, I noticed a lot of Ringu elements (creepy little girl w/black hair) which I thought were unneccesary.

If your looking for gore, fuhgetaboutit! This movie could've very well have been PG-13 with a few more minor edits (no sh*t!). No nudity either...just Melissa George's naked back (no ass though).

Comparing it to the original, gimme the 1979 version anyday! Still its worth a FREE viewing (I saw it free too). I have no doubts it'll be #1 this weekend at the box office.

I already rated it on IMDB and gave it a 6 outta 10...slightly above average, but nothing we haven't seen before.

Though I gotta tell ya, Ryan Reynolds is CUT! Homeboy has the ideal body I wouldn't mind having! That workout program he had for Blade III really paid off!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2005
  11. indiephantom

:lol: I'm looking to get into shape myself. Could be an inspiration. It's the time of the year I typically get things going on.

Peter, which is your review at IMDd??

12. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

NO SPOILERS

Hey, I saw an advance screening on Tuesday night in the Twin Cities. Theater was packed and the screaming started very quickly. Is it a perfect film? No, the way time passes in the film and how it affects characters made me roll my eyes. Think The Shining on speed.

But, this film has great scares and a great cast. The lovely woman who plays the mother (she was on Alias last season) is gorgeous and believable, and Ryan Reynolds is funny and also very believable.

A grown man sitting in front of me jumped in his seat. Even I twitched a bit near the end. Good stuff. Check your brain at the door (certainly not a cerebral film expereince) and you should have a great time.

Also, the babysitter is a total babe.

13. indiephantom

:lol: Well, at least we know they're some hotties in the flick. You're ok dude. :D

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm trying to sell my free ticket since it's pretty much useless to me given my place of employment.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

So Reynolds does a good job of going nanners?

16. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

So far, the reviews I'm reading say this movie isn't very good, but I usually end up liking what the critics don't. But, based on Peter Vincent's statement above, there's apparently at least some good eye candy for me to enjoy!!!

17. Hey, the ladies ain't nothing to scoffle at either. The babysitter was the hottest babe in the whole movie! Wooooo!

My local paper (which was there on tuesday screening as well) gave it a B, which is GREAT for a horror flick!

Most of U might LOVE it though, so the best thing I can suggest is go see it for yourself & report back here with your opinion's. I'm curious to know what other horrordvders think.

18. indiephantom

19. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Funny, since the remake had virtually nothing to do with the original story, I felt just the opposite.

I also felt that the remake relied too much on cheap scares. Hollywood can't seem to make a horror movie anymore without throwing in the creepy-ghost-flashes (I guess at least they've moved beyond jumping-cats). The remake was an okay movie, but the original certainly adhered to the novel more closely.

I was pleasantly surprised by Ryan Reynolds, however. I was at first skeptical of his chances of pulling off a role that wasn't written for a National Lampoon movie, but he actually came through. It was also easier to empathize with his character than with James Brolin's, who generally doesn't come across as a particularly friendly guy.

dmeister

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'll have to check this out this weekend. Lemme tell ya - it's a nice diversion from the HELL that was Taxes AND having to sell my U2 tickets (mere rows from the front of the stage) just to have money for a credit card payment.