The Official Amityville Horror 2005 Reaction thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Apr 14, 2005.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

:lol: I know. I was thinking that the whole time.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

i just saw it finally.

it was......ok. not bad but not really great either. never really got into it.
    Ryan Reynolds was great with his descent into madness, the scenes with the little girl and her "friend" were pretty cool, and the babysitter was hot...actually i liked the whole part with her, especially how she left the house. :evil:

Melissa George annoyed me. Her two sons annoyed me. Especially the youngest. He looks like a duck!

I don't know. It was a decent film, not one I'd buy or probably watch again unless it's on cable, but i didn't feel bad that I'd seen it. especially since it didn't cost me anything. Like i said, I never really got into it. I didn't find myself caring too much about the characters but Ryan Reynolds really saved this film from being crap IMO.

Oh I hated the ending. Everything from when they left the boat house. Gee, next time figure out a way to end a movie!!

3. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

LMAO ! OK i have to give it some positive feedback 1) The House and the set was fantastic 2) Ryan Reynolds was great !

As for the rest of it.....biggest pile of shit ive seen in a long while, just no no no! awful just awful...actually left me speechless at a few points as to how bad it actually was.

3/10 for me and i really wanted to like it too!

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I liked it, but I didn't even attempt to take it seriously, either. It was pretty easy for me to do because while I like the original, I never thought of it as anything more than the crass exploitation movie it was. Was the original a classic of the genre? God, no! Every haunted house movie I can think of is better than The Amityville horror, and that's why I've never cared that it was remade. The remake is cliché ridden, but I didn't expect anything more. The one real "con" I can say about the movie is that it could've done with less Jody, and more babysitter.

5. maskull

AMEN TO THAT!!!! :evil: :D

6. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Hilariously enough, this is a ninth (sic!) film in the Amityville "series", of which I was previously unaware... Jason Voorhees will soon be endangered, since the Bayroaches are, no doubt, going to vomit out a sequel/prequel/remake of the remake soon enough, and follow it with two "Amityville versus the House on Haunted Hill" and "Godzilla versus Amityville versus Jason versus Kramer versus Kramer" crossovers. Was there any other series as bad as that one, but with even more sequels...? Perhaps "Children of the Corn"? There have been about seventy five of those excreted so far, right? (No, I don't actually want to know!)

7. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Like you wouldn't go see it... ;)

dmeister

8. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I thought it was lame. There were some cool sequences (like the opening kills), but overall...... bad. Changes to the story were unecessary. Some characters were severely underused, such as the awesome Phillip Baker Hall as the priest. And the subplots, like the "indian torturer" almost went nowhere. It looks like I hoped it wouldnt; like an hour and forty min. long music video. Shame. I was hoping this would continue the trend of some remakes actually being :gasp: good.

9. DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666 Guest

Didn't go through all the messages.// Stopped at the end of page 2. Seems there's a lot of people who couldn't stand this remake.

Personally, I had a blast and loved it. I'm 35, and I've seen a shitload amount of horror films- many of which I couldn't stand in the 90s. I don't care much about the "no remakes" crusade some have decided to embark on. I'll agree that many remakes are plain boring and some just stupid. But to put down the Amitiville Horror 2005 like some guys did in this thread, I don't understand. Sure, it may not be everyone's cup of tea. But COME ON! This film is certainly not a pile of crap like many will want you to beleive. I wonder how people become so much anal retentive over the years... Age sure gave a lot of experience to some members around here, but they sure didn't get any wizer.

My two cents.

Martin

10. dmeister

dmeister New Member

It was okay, but I couldn't call it any more than that. One or two cliches is unavoidable in a horror movie nowadays, but this was one of the more banal films I've seen lately -- remake or not. And I have absolutely nothing against remakes, though I've seen most of these films -- including TCM -- when they first came out. I consider films like The Fly, The Blob, and The Thing -- to name just a few -- more entertaining than the originals. I even loved Zack Snyder's remake of 28 Days Later.

However, this movie commits what I consider an increasingly common sin in hollywood: The desire to "update" movies ostensibly for no other reason than for the sake of using better looking actors and cartoonish-looking computer generated effects. Spielberg did it with ET. Lucas did it with Star Wars. And now we have a remake of what was once a straightforward "creepy house" story that tries to make up for a lack of suspense with -- you guessed it -- cartoonish-looking CGI and better looking eye candy.

dmeister

11. maskull

yeah but what eye candy it was!! :evil:

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Sir, I don't think you understand that some people like different movies. That is good that you had a blast but to others this movie was indeed crap. You may not like that and it is ok but please do not trick yourself into thinking you are somehow wiser because you liked The Amityville Horror 05. :lol:

13. DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666 Guest

Kid, I certainly do understand the concept of personal taste which makes us all different. On the other hand, I certainly can spot extremists when I see them, and all black comments painted with start to finish with "this film is pure crap" analogies are nothing short of portrayal of minimalist thinking and extreme exageration. Rating this film 1 out of 10 like so many comments here strongly suggest is certainly juvenile thinking; either that or absurd and unrealistic expectations from an overgrowing crowd of lazy fucks that wrongly consider themselves horror critiques and/or purists.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  14. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Are you calling Betterdan a "kid" as a casual term of endearment or because you don't realize that he is actually older than you? ;)

dmeister

15. DrJOnes666

DrJOnes666 Guest

Perhaps the "Kid" part was innapropriate.
    :rolleyes:

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Can you please put that in laymen's terms? I'm too lazy to understand what you're saying. :)

17. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I believe he is tired of reviewers being too extreme in their criticisms of films, either positively or negatively (i.e. they either think that a film is total trash, or the Holy Grail....with no middle ground in between).

Oh, and betterdan is his son, apparently.

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Woohoo I found my daddy! :banana:

Hey Jones remember most of those movies from the 90s you said you couldn't stand? Well it's the same thing here, I couldn't stand this movie so what's the big problem you have with that? I'm sorry you get upset when others don't like the same things you do but somehow I think you will learn to live with it. If you are tired of reading others opinions maybe you shouldn't interact with society and stay locked up in your troll cave.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  19. rhett

rhett Administrator

[​IMG]

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

DrJOnes666 is an impostor.
    DAN, I AM YOUR DADDY!
    I can finally say it since it's too late to get that back child-support I probably owe. :)
    Now to track down the rest of my children and build an army. A new power is rising..... :D