The Official Cannibal Holocaust Grindhouse Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DeathDealer, Oct 17, 2005.

1. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I know that when the dvd does come out, they'll proberly be quite a few threads talking about lots of different things. Reviews, Pictures, Audio, etc...

This thread could deal with all this stuff, and it'll make it alot more easier instead of looking anywhere else around here.

To start off, a real insightful article emerged VIA DVDMANIACS FORUM:

October 17, 2005

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST DVD arrives!

LOS ANGELES -- After fighting a difficult battle with printers over a graphic photo insert, Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing have at last prevailed in their mission to bring Ruggero Deodato's CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST to DVD.

No less than eight different printers refused to handle the artwork for Grindhouse's 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST during the final stages of the project. The company encountered further resistance from numerous binderies who likewise turned down the job of putting together the elaborate DVD package due to the inner sleeve design, which features an image of a nude woman impaled on a stake.

The stonewalling by printers caused a nerve-wracking last-minute delay in Grindhouse's production schedule, and ultimately cost the disc producers thousands of dollars in added expenses. "It was a real nightmare. We almost didn't make our street date because of these problems," says Murawski. "For a while, it seemed like nobody was going to take on the job. We had a similar problem years ago with our release of CANNIBAL FEROX, where we actually did make some changes in the artwork that we felt were appropriate. But we would never change our design to suit a printer's sensibilites. We put too much hard work into the project to back down."

The producers have faced many other obstacles bringing the DVD to market in recent months. A well-known film magazine refused to run an ad for CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, denying Grindhouse the opportunity to submit an alternate design; the same publication promptly killed a story on the movie after seeing the ad. Major retailers such as Blockbuster have passed on the DVD, citing content issues.

“With all the uncensored horror product in the marketplace, it is amazing that CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is still a lightning rod for First Amendment issues decades after it was made," says Grindhouse's head of theatrical distribution David Szulkin, who served as Associate Producer of the DVD.

All 11,111 copies of the limited edition 2-disc set had to be hand-assembled, as the "offending" artwork was printed in a different facility than the rest of the DVD box. Based on the impressive advance orders, distributor Rykodisc predicts that the entire run will be sell out in record time.

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST arrives in stores on October 25, 2005. "This is the mother of all DVDs, period," says Ryko's Jay Douglas, the first to view the finished product. "With CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, Grindhouse has raised the bar for everyone."

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?p=219821#post219821

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Um, aren't there already like a million threads about this DVD?

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

1,000,001 actually.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I gots mine on order. Can't wait...

5. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Um, aren't there already like a million wannabe moderators that make posts like this that don't add anything to the conversations? :D

I have this pre-ordered and can't wait to get it. I've never seen it, and the jungle/cannibal genre is a favorite of mine! Some great music in them!

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Same here Zoso, haven't seen it but I have seen Ferox and liked it. CH should be just as good if not better from what I have been hearing throughout the years that its been MIA here in the US.

7. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Overall, I don't quite like Cannibal Holocaust as much as Ferox or even Emanuelle and The Last Cannibals, but it's still enjoyable. The music is absolutly amazing, one of my most listened to soundtracks.

I've got it preordered from DDD, I have almost no doubt that this DVD will allow me to put my EC disc to rest for good. :p

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Cannibal Ferox is definitely the more entertaining of the 2 films. I'll be buying this as well, but when I view it I'll be bypassing a certain animal scene that I'm sure you are all quite familiar with now.

What's up with that article pointing out that Blockbuster won't carry it? That's a given. No surprise there, and no disappointment.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Ferox may me more "entertaining" but CH is the by far the superior film IMO. Ferox is a bit too campy to take seriously and I don't think CH was ever meant to be entertaining.

10. SaviniFan

I'd hope that no film maker would produce anything that is not supposed to entertain. Unless you are making a film that is supposed to educate like documentarys. But even those should have some entertainment value as to hold the interests of viewers. Hell, even your local news is just entertainment.

A film without any entertainment value is a dud, plain and simple. Even if the subject matter is a serious one.

And I do agree, Cannibal Ferox is definitley campy.

11. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

How well do you take animal slaughter of Cannibal Ferox? It has just as many (if not more) scenes of animal cruelty and in my opinion more animal torture than C.H.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't know about that. Would you call the short films Cutting Moments or Aftermath or I spit on your grave or Last house on the left entertaining or even Irreversible?

I would call them more disturbing or shocking than anything. Which is very good for raising discussion afterwards. I don't know if I would call them entertaining though.

13. SaviniFan

I don't take animal slaughter well in any film. The tortoise scene in Cannibal Holocaust is in my opinion the nastiest I've ever seen. I find it much more unbearable to watch than any of the unfortunate animal killing scenes in Ferox.
    I do enjoy the Italian cannibal film genre though, and as far as I'm concerned, the animal scenes could be excised altogether.

14. SaviniFan

I don't understand why if those films held no entertainment value for you that you would continue to watch such films. Sure the subject matter of every one of those is disturbing to say the least, but it makes no sense to buy/watch/rent them all the time if they didn't give you some kind of enjoyment right?

Sure rape, necrophilia, and many other taboo subjects are revolting and any sensible human being would get no pleasure out of witnessing things like that in real life.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you keep subjecting yourself to these kinds of film if they are not entertaining to you. Is it the "challenge" of how far they push the genre that keeps you coming back for more? Any feeling you got out of any of those films, if it keeps you coming back, obviously entertained you in some manner.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Your right. I guess entertaining doesn't have to mean "feel good movie of the year". Maybe being disturbed or shocked is entertainment in it's own way. I guess if your not bored then your being entertained.

16. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

Maybe it's a masochistic thing... I know I always feel really crappy/feel bad about myself after watching Cannibal Holocaust!
    I rarely feel like rewatching it unlike Fulci's Zombi 2 for example which is the horror film that's getting the most repeated viewings from me (and which I find the most entertaining)
    Still I admire CH a lot. It's one of the rare films that gave me really disturbing nightmares (when I was younger I mean ;))...
    I only had it on vhs so far, I never got any of the previous dvd editions... So I'm really glad I waited for the Grindhouse dvd to come out... I haven't watched the movie in years!

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

All the animals that were killed were eaten, btw, if that makes you any feel better.

18. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Including the chimpmunk-looking thing?

Apparently that upset R. Bolla so much he started praying for the film to bomb. He really seems to dislike Deodato, from what I've read.

I think CH is a better film just because it has a more sophisticated story structure and the whole thing where it pretends to condemn things while actually revelling in them. It just seems like a higher-quality film to me. I think there's also more of an underlying ugliness behind CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST than the other films--a lot of those are just updated, more violent versions of the "jungle adventure" subgenre from the past. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is something else entirely.

I think unpleasant films can be entertaining--at their heart the cannibal films are like any others in the exploitation/horror subgenre--their appeal is the promise that we will see something that we're not supposed to see, something unlike anything we've seen before in other films. I think that's the engine that powers a lot of these movies, and where the entertainment factor comes into play for the audience.

19. logboy

logboy Guest

for those interested : its shipped. so it was true after all...

20. Stige

Stige Active Member

oh well, fool that I am.................Ordered it today. Just can't seem to resist that limited edition thing