The Official Cannibal Holocaust Grindhouse Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DeathDealer, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Alan Yates

Alan Yates Guest

@ Number Six

PABS vs BDC, my theory

Up until 2000 all the releases of CH look to have been mastered from a theatrical print. so keep in mind that this print will have been around in the same state since the film was made. the film will have been shot, edited etc then all the matte shots like the 'within TV' and LRtH would have been processed. The titles and Amazonian burnt in sub sections (and the indeed PABS titles) will also have then been added in post production and then a final master would have been made of which theatrical prints would have been made.
    Having PABS - Pan American Broadcast System - would have made sense for story continuity as it is mentioned within the film previously.
    Fast forward to 2000 and the first remaster that appeared first on the second EC release.
    This version looks to have been took from a master that was created during Post but before the Titles were added. I suspect it was at this time that BDC was added - probably by the company that did the remaster (originally for EC?) and it could be someones initials along with some of the other title changes during the sequence, an easter egg for the amusment of the remasterers if you will. After this remaster in 2000 it would then be printed back to film and archived, be it digitally or on analogue tape for sale to the bidders for dvd production houses the world over.
    So a new master copy of the film was created and the old theatrical print was not needed anymore.
    I think that the Grindhouse Version is a Hybrid of this master and a nicely preserved cleaned theatrical print due to the colouring of the found footage sections - I do wonder if this colouring was intentional by Deodato to help sell the effect of the lost footage and the 2000+ remasterings did a too good a job by removing this during colour correction.

Just my thoughts.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I still haven't received my disc yet. Oh well, maybe tomorrow. :(

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I emailed Xploited Cinema and they will go ahead and make sure my reserved copy of CH won't be a floater by opening it and making it so it dosen't get scratched all to shit. Thanks Xploited.

4. theskank

theskank Guest

Even secured discs are showing up sratched up. I dunno what the heck Grindhouse was doing with these damn discs.

5. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Just got mine from DDD. No floaters or scratches, :) #8643

6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Alan Y, I don't think Grindhouse's found footage is from a print, I think they yellowed it purposely. It looks just as good as the others, except with amber sunglasses on (and a few added pixels). I can't stand wearing amber sunglasses.
    Elite Entertainment did this (with some other tint colors too, red maybe?) with their (still used) laserdisc transfer of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, during certain sequences, totally altering the films look...I hated/hate it. It pretty much went by unnoticed. Back then too many people where bitching about the cleaner image taking away from the films gritty, raw documentary feel. I can't wait to see Don May's new one!!! I just hope he opted to keep it as true to original as possible.
    But perhaps you are right about it being intended that way by Deodato...and Lenzi, and Martino since alot of older video transfers of italian cannibal films where yellow. I'm glad to see it gone in the current animorphic transfers though. I perfer the clearer view of the jungle. Like I said before, I hate wearing amber sunglasses.

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I remember when we got our first VCR. We had 2 National Videos, and little Video Store, which I don't remember the name where you could rent 2 or 3 videos for a $1.00, and Popingo. These were in the early 80s. I remember renting Color Me Blood Red and Zombie. I always wanted to see Zombie, but when it came out in 1979, I was only 10. We also had Movies At Home, and a little Mom & Pop video store, called Lee's Summit Video. I rented Emanuelle and The Last Cannibals, AKA Trap Them and Kill Them, and Cannibal Ferox from Movies at Home. Lee's Summit Video actually had the best Horror films at the time. By the time Lee's Summit Video opened, I think that both National Videos were no longer open where I live. I remember renting the first Faces of Death at Lee's Summit Video. My mom watched it, and said "No More." And my mom was as much of a horror fan as I was. My mom raised me right. She was the one that got me hooked on horror films. I knew the owner of Lee's Summit Video, and he would hold movies for me when they came out Tuesday. They were 3 for $5.00, and if you had 10 receipts, you got a movie free, and they had a commerical popcorn machine, so I would always get about 3 bags of popcorn. Also, in the back, they had Adult Movies, behind swinging doors, and I rented several of them. One of them had Sylvester Stallone in it. I think it was made around 1974 or 1975. I know it was made before Rocky came out. I don't remember much of it, because I rented it probably 15 years ago. About 6 years ago, Lee's Summit Video closed there doors because another video store was going down the street from it, and they wouldn't have been able to compete with it. THAT STORE WAS BLOCKBUSTER. I hardly rent movies from Video Stores anymore. Maybe once a month I will rent movies, but I rent all my movies from Netflix, or I buy them.

8. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

Do you work for Grindhouse or something? Seriously, that's a lot of assumptions for a top-of-the-head theory. However... If true, that would certainly explain things a bit. Anyone happen to catch the GH print theatrically? Maybe that would shed some light (no pun intended) on the dark/yellowed found footage debate. Unless they took their hybrid version to strike the new print to take on the road.

9. Stige

Stige Active Member

didn't really notice any improvement over the "old" EC release I already have. For those of you with the "ultra bit" release, is it worth another upgrade?( should I also buy the ultra bit)??

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I think I saw ZOMBIE when I was around 13 or 14...it was one of those old Video Discs [remember those?]

I suppose I should get around to watching CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST...I've been watching the special features. Truth is, I rewatched it over the summer and am not really in a big hurry to see it.

11. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

Using them as frisbees maybe? One of my friends, who knows how anal I am about the condition of my DVDs, always jokes that the people who assemble these packages make minimum wage, so they probably could care less whether your discs get scratched or not during the assembly process. I'm expecting my copy today or tomorrow. Perhaps I should cross my fingers.

My DVD Collection

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I finally received my copy today and yes, the second disc was a floater, but thankfully it wasn't scratched up at all. I haven't even popped in the disc yet, but I just wanted to say how much I despise the packaging. Sure, the outer slipcover and the case looks nice, but as I'm sure others have pointed out, it is a bitch to close. I still haven't figured it out. The case is just like the Universal Legacy Collections, but I don't recall those being as difficult to close. They should have put the discs in a regular double-disc keep case like everyone else.

I got #05876 out of 11,111.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  13. theskank

theskank Guest

Most deffently, the Ultrabit disc looks MUCH better then the original EC release and the second EC 16x9 release.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The old EC releases sucked compared to the Ultrabit.

GH has the best extras
    Ultrabit has the best transfer and it's uncut

15. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

OH, HOW I WISH I REALIZED WHICH VERSION I WAS WATCHING....I had SO thought I was watching the "animal cruelty free" version of this film, but I apparently was not. I figured during some of the particularly grotesque animal scenes that I was actually seeing a cleaned up or edited version, but by the time I got to the turtle part I knew I wasn't...I just left the room when that kind of stuff started happening. How revolting this movie was. It's a rare occasion that I feel "dirty" after watching a movie, but this one definitely ranks as one of the worst, if not THE worst.

Yuck, yuck, and DOUBLE FUCKING YUCK.

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yeah, that sucks. Cannibal Holocaust is the worst cannibal film in terms of animal violence, in my opinion. I won't be watching the animal-cruelty free version because it lessens the impact of the film, but it really does disgust me. But then, that was the intent of the filmmakers, so it works.

This DVD release would have been perfect, if not for two things. One, as I mentioned before, the DVD case is terrible because it is so damn hard to get closed. I finally figured it out, but it shouldn't take two or three minutes just to close a fucking DVD case. Two, as someone said earlier in the thread, the amount of pixelation on this transfer is ridiculous. The picture quality overall is quite good, but the pixelation ruins it for me. It is noticeable and annoying, and is something that should not be an issue in 2005.

17. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

It's a shame that there are such glaring issues with a release we've waiting so long for.

18. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

I received my copy yesterday from Xploited. The first disc was a floater and it had some small scratches, which greatly annoyed me. I played the disc briefly, and the transfer definitely looks crisper and sharper, albeit darker, than the one for the 2000 EC re-issue. On a different note, did anyone else notice that Riz Ortolani's main theme in the opening credits has been awkwardly re-edited in Grindhouse's version? Being a big fan of Ortolani's music for this film, I consider this a major disappointment. Although, I'm sure the extras will be fun to watch, I'll just cut my losses and buy EC's Ultrabit version and make that my definite CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST DVD.

My DVD Collection

19. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Well, got my copy yesterday from DDD and disc 1 was a floater. A few scratches, no biggie I told myself. Got home, got some food, packed a bowl and popped in the disc. Not 2 fucking minutes in it starts freezing and my dvd player shits it out. Goddamn it. I'm going to take it to Borders today and see if they'll let me exchange it for a new copy without a receipt. If not, back to DDD it goes. I'm just really pissed cause I've been wanting to watch this disc forever and it finally comes and its fucked.

20. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

We have one at work (I think numbered in the 4,000's) and I've checked it out. Doesn't seem like a floater. Just like MrKateB though, I hate the animal cruelty scenes. I bought a region-free copy from someone in England on Ebay and when I saw those parts, I got rid of it. I think I gave it to someone but I can't remember.... ANYWAY, yeah, the movie is a little extreme for my collection.