The Official Cannibal Holocaust Grindhouse Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DeathDealer, Oct 17, 2005.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

7157 / 11,111

Just finished this. Much better than what I thought it was going to be. The animal killings weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I guess I'm jaded, I mean if you've seen people skin deer and muskrats like I have then that's not a big problem for me to watch. Still, I can see why most people would have a hard time with it. By the way, the chick in the mockumentary (the one with the 3 dudes) was hot looking...that is before shit went crazy on her.

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

DVDEMPIRE just updated that page with a dvd cover which is excatly the same as the pervious one.

But, they have now changed the release date to Dec. 20th.

3. Ch

I am not bashing the film because it is a stunning piece of cinema, I am not bashing Grindhouse, but is there anyone else who was underwelmed by the extras on this release, with the exception of the IN THE JUNGLE documentary and the Gabriel Yorke interview, nothing else really entertained me. I thought Robert Kerman, to be honest was an idiot, I thought he was great during his EATEN ALIVE interview, great stories and an interesting guy, this time though he just annoyed me. What are the chances of Grindhouse releasing a version minus Robert Kerman in the extras.

Described the film to a friend, he wasn't impressed (loves Hollywood flicks), so I gave him the French R2 version, guess what his favourite film is now ...

4. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

I'm totally satisfied with the extras myself... Even the still galleries and the (printable) shooting scripts which I would normally find boring were interesting to check out. I don't know what else they could have done (tracking down the actress who played Faye would have been cool though, she's so good in the film)... I liked the Robert Kerman interview, too bad he feels this way about the movie but hey... What I didn't like is the audio commentary, where Kerman tries to make an ass out of Deodato any chance he gets... It feels like we're there to judge Deodato as a criminal during the whole thing, and he can't really defend himself, not speaking english fluently... Maybe importing the Deodato commentary from the italian dvd and subtitling it would have been more interesting. I also hate people bringing up the Blair Witch Project all the time, who cares about BWP, this dvd is about Cannibal Holocaust!
    Anyway, yes, the Gabriel Yorke interview is really excellent; I always wondered what went through the actor's mind during filming this movie and this was really enlightening... By the way, what did he mean by saying Alan Yates maybe isn't dead? Are they planning a Cannibal Holocaust 2 or is this just for the sake of the interview?!
    Anyway, I feel this is a really great edition for a great movie, it gave me back a taste for cannibal movies and it made me wanna track down all the dvd's in the genre I missed so far! (Eaten Alive, Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, etc...)
    Oh and personally I really like the packaging artwork! (although I would have liked the "Skull" design used more prominently, this design is the coolest in my opinion) - Anyway, also I didn't have any "floater" problem and the dvd shipped from the Us to France here!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  5. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

10604/11,111

My disc 2 was floating but no scratches at all luckily.

6. theskank

theskank Guest

I just found a PRESS RELEASE from GRINDHOUSE about the LIMITED EDITION 2-disc........

"To everyone who made sure to secure a copy of a limited edition Cannibal Holocaust DVD.
    Go fuck yourselves, we're releaseing more."

7. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

A new "Deluxe Edition" 2DVD will be released by Grindhouse today actually..
    Probably the same?Or in a regular case?Would be better though,no floaters,and it's a bit cheaper too!

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

9. theskank

theskank Guest

Different package, same discs. It's still a FU to anyone who bought something they thought was a speical numbered limited edition.
    OH GREAT!, You mean really, I'm so lucky to get one of the limited edition floater boxes and will soon pull apart from the cardboard the next time I try and open it. GEEEE LUCKY ME!

We need to start boycotting DVD companies that pull these stunts. Maybe they will stop fucking us over like they do oh so much now with bullshit gimmiks to get DVD's off store shevles faster.

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I blame the people rebuying 2 dozen versions because they put an extra stills gallery on the disc. ;)

As for the limited editions, well... it's been pretty common knowledge that most LEs are just released individually later. I don't mind it, even if they put all the supplements on them because it's really just packaging with a number on it, and also if they could only release one version, they'd all be out of an ungodly number anyways, so that'd take any collectability out of it to begin with.

For a horror fan, a rare treasure in your collection is something special, but to want to take away the ability to own a movie that someone else is dying to have just makes me feel like a dick. I don't like the tactic, but I see why it's done, and I'm in a way happy it is.

11. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

Stop being greedy. You should be happy more people are going to be able to enjoy this movie.

Geez, some fan of the genre you must be.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I got a chance to check on the extras and I thought they were quite interesting. It wasn't just a love fest like more of them are, but the actors actually talked about how they felt about the film and it wasn't always favorable. The only extra that got on my nerves was the music video. Those guys were a bunch of morons and give horror fans a bad name IMO. They just seem like the type of people that would watch the Iraq beheading video's while eating popcorn and laughing. Well that was my impression anyway. Other then that I thought the extras were great.

13. theskank

theskank Guest

HEY!, I never said anything about NOT letting the movie be released cause it's limited edition.
    All I am saying is make something on the DVD fucking limited edition, a supplement or something. Otherwise I wanna see posted on the package and webiste. "Limited edition package".
    See how on the "August Underground" DVD the limited edition has a "killer commentary" on it that is not on the normal 2-disc.
    I'm not the dick, just stop calling shit "LIMITED EDITON" that isn't. Fucking stupid!
    I like the idea of LE but let's see it mean something again and not just a marketing tool.
    Show some god damn respect to the fans and people who keep these companies in business.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  14. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Grindhouse did the same thing with I Drink Your Blood.They released the limited edition autograuphed copies then they released a regular edition and there was actually more of the limited editions released then the regulars.Doesn't make much sense really.

15. Noto

Noto Guest

Oddly enough, my copy of the "limited" release came in today. There is no number stamped on the back. Just " /11,111"

16. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Holy shit!! You won!! You got the golden ticket!!! You got the magical mystery number!! You lucky bastard!!

psyche!! :banana: :banana:

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

In light of the recent discovery of the 3-disc "LE" SUSPIRIA over at Amazon for $5.97.....maybe this should be a lesson to us all to chill on our purchasing of these sets??? :lol: Yeah, right.

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The same people that are complianing are the same types who would be 1st in line for the next Army of Darkness and Halloween DVD releases ;)

19. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I saw the Robert Kerman interview. He's very ignorant. Showing off. He attacks Deodato so much, and Deodato hardly says anything bad about him on the disc. All Deodato does is state the truth. :D

Also, was that David Suklizin doing the interview with Kerman?

If it were, I think the he has no balls at all. Kerman is attacking the film immensly. And David just stayed quiet. Even when Kerman asked what do you think, he kept silent. He should have defended the movie.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts on that interview.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's not the purpose of interviews. The opinions of the interviewer should never equal or overpower that of the interviewee. They're not supposed to be debates.