The Official Cannibal Holocaust Grindhouse Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DeathDealer, Oct 17, 2005.

1. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Agreed.And as for that interview I thought it was great.He may be a little unstable but I prefer an interview like that where they say whatever they want and not whatever they think the interviewer or the public wants to hear.David Hess gives great interviews as well.

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

DVD Empire is now listing this as "Currently Unavailable". Is this regular edition OOP as well? Deep Discount DVD is also sold out.

Cannibal Ferox is now OOP also, anyone hear of a possible re-release?

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

If you are interested in Cannibal Ferox I HIGHLY recommend the Sazuma tin. Worth the money in my opinion. Great transfer. Just be sure you can play PAL format.

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=3451

4. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I've seen the regular release Holocaust in stores, just a standard sized amaray printed with a duplicate of the slipcover...definately prefer the limited packaging (since mine weren't scratched).
    But yeah, I heard they were doing a re-release of Cannibal Ferox.
    I've got the tin as well,very stunning. But, will Ferox's super-bit transfer also outdo Grindhouses? Probably, but I'm eager to see their new batch of supplements.

Now I wish they'd hurry up with Pieces.

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Well actually, this one of was supposed to.

Reason being, because Kerman actually asked him, "Let's Debate This".

But still, Suzklin kept silent.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Just because the subject of the interview is antagonistic doesn't mean the interviewer should take the bait. He should do his best to remain neutral and let the person hang themselves. It speaks volumes about his professionalism that he would refuse to sink to FoxNews level.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

No lie!!!!! :fire:

8. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

What stores did you see it in? I was thinking about grabbing the regular edition because my LE had a floater and the plastic part of the case is chipped.

9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I only saw it at one store actually. It was at Bull Moose Music (a stoner/crunchy music & movie store) in Stephen King's home town of Bangor, Maine. So if Shit Creeks in Maine your all set. If not, they're pretty cool, give them a call and they could probably arrange to sell/ship it over phone (207) 262-0410. I think it was 19.99.

10. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I've come a bit late to the game...I finally ordered this from Barnes & Noble.com with a giftcard I got for Christmas (from an aunt who's like 61, I'm sure she'd be so proud to know that's where her $ went...) But my disc isn't numbered. I'm guessing I got the re-release. It comes in a rather tight to open clear keep case. I wish it was a bit roomier inside, because the insert keeps getting bent.

I was too tired last night to do anything other than check out some of the extras. The Necrophagia video is so-cheap looking it makes the video they did on the AB "Beyond" look like a million dollar production. I started watching the interview with Gabriel Yorke and fell asleep. The trailers for the other upcoming films, like that "Pope" movie, looked pretty cool. Also checked out the stills gallery. I still think the girl who played Faye is an absolute hottie. I did look at some of disc one and was amused to see all the "bios" ported over from that Green Inferno website.

Tonight, I'll watch the film itself with commentary.

11. Santini

Santini Guest

I enjoy the shit out of this movie (despite the animal violence). Originally saw it thanks to the Cult Epics laserdisc. Due to a million other things coming out at the end of the year, though, this disc didn't even make my radar when it was first released.

I didn't expect to find the limited edition of it, but Digital Eyes had some copies still and I eventually got mine the last week of December. Of course, it had the damn floater problem, so I ended up having to call them to get a new one sent out. Luckily, it appears that they still had a few in stock, because I got a replacement (#9448 of 11,111) a week later.

Haven't seen the non-limited version anywhere yet.

It appears that Digital Eyes still has some in stock if anyone is still looking for the limited version.

12. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

I think the million dollar question is wether or not the interlacing thing was fixed or not. Didn't really affect me but I know a lot of people were banking on it being corrected.

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

So I watched this for the first time ever last night and was pleasantly surprised. Every movie that seems "real" never has a big effect on me, and this one didn't especially either, but it was actually a good movie, something I never figured it would be. I was shocked at the relative "respect" that Deodato gave the natives, it didn't seem like he was exploiting them in any way at all, bashing the common consensus (at least from what I've heard) of the film.

It wasn't as gory or non-stop relentless torture like I thought it would be, but I guess that's why people consider Cannibal Ferox to be the gore subgenre champion. The film sported social commentary that was much better than Romero ever intended (or what some lousy critic made up about his movies) to do and in the special features, Deodato could have lied and said he set out to make a masterpiece slamming the civilized world for their acts of savagery... he didn't. To me, that tells you a lot about the guy and made me love the movie even more.

And the must is some of the best I've ever heard, seeming totally out of place for a movie of this type. But when you truly think about it, most of the Italian cheapie flicks in my collection have amazing scores. It really amazes me when I watch special features and how all the Italian horror vets talking about the Italian film industry being dead, the proof is in the pudding, these guys know what they're doing. And how people don't give these guys a measly 300 grand to make a movie is beyond me. They'd make it all back and then some.

Italian horror was something I once regarded, even after loving the movies, as a cheese fest... a bastard son of American filmmaking. But, no more. Ripoffs, originals, whatever they may be, these movies are great and because of this and movies like Tenebre or The Beyond, I will never consider Italian horror less worthy again.

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Romero has talked about the social commentary in his movies. I like CH, but I'll still take the zombie sugarcoating over cannibals any day.

15. Kishiro

Kishiro Guest

Thats excactly what I was thinking.
    Coverdale -> Can you please check if the DVD transfer is progressive or not? If you have the equipment and knowledge to do so, that is.

I would really appreciate it :D

16. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I'd be glad to check if you could tell me how. I don't have very sophisticated equipment, but I will say this: I haven't compared them back to back, but I actually prefered the picture on the old EC DVD to the new disc! Obviously I love the extras, etc. but for the actual movie the EC looked as good or better!

17. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

They had 2 copies of the keepcase re-release at my local Borders. Might wanna check them out if anyone is seeking the re-release.

18. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Could someone around here take a picture?

Interested in finding out how it looks.

19. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

I checked it out on a computer and yes it is definately "hard" interlaced. That means it was encoded 29.970fps with a 3:2 pattern instead of being encoded at 23.976fps progressive.

However this really isn't a big deal. I tried to explain this when this issue came up with the USA Anchor Bay Entertainment release of THE CARD PLAYER.

Interlaced NTSC DVD vs Progressive NTSC DVD:

On a normal TV it makes no visual difference.

For HDTV ... they all have 3:2 pulldown built-in and will detect the 3:2 pattern and perform a 3:2 pulldown (or what is called an IVTC or Inverse Telecine) on-the-fly thus making it progressive. Unless you have a really cheap ass crap ass HDTV the circuitry that does this is very sophisticated and generally does a very good job. True some HDTV sets do it better than others but most do this very well.

Last but not least if you are really anal you can buy a DVD player with the Faroudja DCDi processor which will do the 3:2 pulldown on-the-fly and output progressive video to the HDTV. The Faroudja DCDi processor is considered the absolute best chipset so if you don't like how your HDTV handles it ... buy such a DVD player. The OPPO OPDV971H is such a DVD player and only costs about $200 USD ... considering it is region free and does excellent PAL to NTSC ... you can't loose.

The only down side to doing it "hard" interlaced is that the encoder has to deal with 20% more frames vs. a progressive encode so the bitrate is more "effective" with a progressive encode since the bitrate does not get "spread around" as much on a progressive encode.

I have a 51" 16x9 WS HDTV (a CRT rear projector) and the movie looks fine to me. Yes I do see some compression artifacts but it's not that bad plus I am sitting a good 3 feet closer than the "optimal" viewing distance for my size TV (due to my room not being BIG enough) so I imagine at a proper "optimal" viewing distance it would look more-or-less perfect.

In short I am happy with it :banana:

I will say this however ... since they remastered this from "scratch" and since it appears to have a more-or-less perfect 3:2 telecine pattern I am at a loss as to why they did not do a progressive encode. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an accident that happened somewhere along the line either by someone inexperienced or by an experienced person that just goofed up.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

20. Kishiro

Kishiro Guest

Deluxe or Limited?

FulciZombieFan :) -> Can you please clarify;
    Was this the Deluxe version, or the Limited version you tested/checked?
    Because we are all aware that the Limited version was hard interlaced. Internet rumours however, claims the Deluxe version was delayed to allow for a corrected progressive transfer. Which noone has been able to confirm or deny (yet)...