The Official La Terza Madre aka Mother of Tears Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DeathDealer, Sep 10, 2007.

1. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Stop it you two or there won't be any icecream for either of you!!

2. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

DeathDealer if i recall you were temp banned a few years back (or maybe just warned) for doing something similar. you seem addicted to creating "official" threads when existing threads have already been posted.. i guess you must get some "ego hit" from being the thread starter for "official" threads?

doesn't bother me to be honest, but i just thought i'd post my comments.

Plus the thread is deceiving as the movie isnt even fucking out yet.

3. :: pulls up a chair, thumbs nose at "that other" thread ::

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

That post goes great with your avatar.

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Nope, I've never been banned at all from HorrorDVDs. Guess your confusing me with someone else.

Look its just a thread, I'm done responding to these remarks. Theres no point because nothing is getting done.

Moving on:

Here's one more I found: http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/08/tiff-review-the-mother-of-tears/

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No offense, but the "other" thread is four years old and 18 pages long. Now that the movie is out (at least to festivals) and people have seen it, for simplicity's sake a new thread like this one should be created so people don't have to weed through so many old posts just to read current reviews/reactions.

7. Haha. Would you believe me if I said I've been planning this day for months now?

8. DeathDealer

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I got to see this last night at a midnight madness screening at the Toronto Film fest.

Overall I was bit disappointed, not overly but I was hoping for something more along the lines of Suspiria or Inferno in terms of colourful sets, imaginative camera shots pulse pounding music and a dream like atmosphere.

Instead He plays this one more straightforward with on the most part; static camera shots an average score and out of character reliance on jump scares.

On the plus side. Most of the death scenes were great and up to his usual imaginative and gory standards. The jump scares we quite good and there was some good creepy imagery. It also had a more linear story line, which i'm not convinced is good thing.

On the down side I found some of the death scenes inconsistent and he would go from one spectacular death to one that starts off great and then switches to a unbelievable fake head or "baby" that kind of takes you out of the moment.

The acting and dialogue was as expected all over the place but I've come to expect that, so that's OK.

I still enjoyed it though. I was never bored and like usually there is always flashes of brilliance in any Argento film and this was no exception.

Unfortunately I would put this in the same ballpark of his later day films as oppose to a return to form.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  10. That actually has me a little intrigued, as Suspiria and Inferno are two of my less favorite of his works (meaning I like them better than 95% of my collection, rather than 99% like with some of his other films). I still have high hopes :D

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Ash, I envy you even though the film didn't sound as good as it could have been. I'm in Vancouver and our film festival starts in a few weeks but the midnight madness has been cancelled (for several years) due to people complaining that things got too loud after the movies let out!

Hopefully this one will get released theatrically (or DVD) very soon... I'm itching to see it.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Reading the reviews on IMDB some thought it was his best since Opera. So i'm sure some on here will have a different opinion. I would like to give it another chance when it hits DVD. Argento's films usually get better with each viewing.

13. DeathDealer

14. DeathDealer

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

16. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

:banana:

It's gonna be a terrible wait, but good to know it is on its way, finally.

18. DeathDealer

The Italian Poster:

[​IMG]

19. DeathDealer

The Rome Premiere occured last night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad Argento's getting to enjoy himself and have some fun after all his hard work. He's officially COOL in my book.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I finally got around to giving this film another try 4 years after my first viewing at the Toronto film fest. Reading my initial review It seemed like I was almost apologizing for the film being such a big Argento fan. I know I shouldn't be surprised with this being an Argento film but I enjoyed it much more this time around. His films just seem do that to people. I don't know if it was the lack of visual flare compared to the other two films that through me off the first time or maybe it was just that audience but I went in this time knowing what to expect. Sure it had the odd eye rolling moments of dialogue, saying that It really was a gory fun ride that I enjoyed from start to finish. It's not as good as the first two but far from the potential embarrassment I once feared it to be.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011