The Official Masters Of Horror - SECOND SEASON - Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Oct 20, 2006.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I figure I open this thread (like Crystal Plumage did for the first season) considering its starting next week Friday Oct. 27

The Dammed Thing - Tobe Hooper
    Family - John Landis
    V Word - Ernest Dickerson
    Sounds Like - Brad Anderson
    Pro Life - John Carpenter
    Pelts - Dario Argento
    The Screwfly Solution - Joe Dante
    Valerie on the Stairs - Mick Garris
    We Scream for Ice Cream - Tom Holland
    The Black Cat - Stuart Gordon
    The Washingtonians - Peter Medak
    Right to Die - Rob Schmidt
    Dream Cruise - Norio Tsuruta

Any info, schedule, times, etc... :

http://www.sho.com/site/mastersofhorror/home.do

2. I hope that they do a box set for this season

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I hope they do a boxed set for any season, because I've been holding out a long time.

4. Luna

Luna Guest

Intriguing titles... yeah, I'll be checking them all out on Showtime. It'll certainly be cheaper than buying the DVDs and hoping for them not to suck. :lol:

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought george romero was directing an episode for season 2??? also i wonder why wes craven isn't doing one???

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'll be torrenting them all since I don't get Showtime.
    Looking forward to Valerie on the Stairs after reading this month's Playboy, here's why:

[​IMG]

Yeah, yeah!:sperm:

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Shame that Lucky McKee and Don Coscarelli aren't in this season. But it's good to give others a chance at it. Still a little leary of Mick Garris' effort, but I'll give it a chance. Also really looking forward to the Landis and Gordon ones.

Now if I can only figure out who some of these other people are and why they belong on MOH...

Of course I'll have to download them first to see which ones to buy later on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  8. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I disliked a good number of the season 1 episodes. I'll just rent on DVD when they come out. After being disappointed by so many of the season 1 episodes I'm really glad I didn't break down and get Showtime for this [though we also enjoy WEEDS.]

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The Black Cat from Stuart Gordon sounds good. Plus it stars Jeffery Combs. I guess he and that black cat square off again.:D

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

For those of you wanting a box set for season one, just wait a year or two. Knowing Anchor Bay, they'll repackage all the unsold individual discs together and sell them for $40. That's pretty much what they've done with almost every horror movie they've released over the years.

Regarding Season 2, I didn't realize that it was going to air quite so soon. Can't wait! :)

11. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Do something new for god's sake. The Black Cat has been done so many times.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Really looking forward to these:

The Damned Thing - Tobe Hooper
    Sounds Like - Brad Anderson
    Pro Life - John Carpenter
    The Screwfly Solution - Joe Dante

13. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

agreed. Fulci and Argento are the two versions that come to mind. I do think Gordon't take could be awesome though, especially with Combs.

I'm looking forward to the episodes by Tom Holland, Dario Argento, Joe Dante and Carpenter most. At least based on the brief abstracts.

Anyone see any individual episode trailers yet? Us Canadians can't access the Showtime website.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Remember the second season premire starts tonight at 10:00 pm on Showtime

First episode up - The Dammed Thing from Tobe Hooper
    Starring Sean Patrick Flanery, Marisa Coughlin, and Ted Raimi.

15. Luna

Luna Guest

Well! I guess I'm the first victim to reply to this after having seen a new episode.

I ordered Showtime about an hour before Masters of Horror aired, knowing full well the first episode up would be Tobe Hooper's. I was scared, I admit it. I ordered anyway because well, maybe Hell froze over and he wouldn't suck this time around?

I am happy to report that "The Damned Thing" did not suck. Not by a longshot. In fact, I enjoyed it very much. It was about 1000x better than that steaming pile he submitted last time around, "Dance Of The Dead". The gore effects were excellent. I especially liked
    the car accident scene and the man who had issues with his hammer. I am still just a touch iffy on the oil monster, but really... I have seen so much worse CGI so I am being forgiving for the rest of the story being so engaging. I just tend not to be a fan of CGI monsters in general, but I don't know how it could have been done otherwise.

I only had three very minor issues with it, but these are nothing really. Just observations I made.
    1. 1. Where were the Texas accents? Aboot?!
    2. 2. Um, fall foliage? Not in Texas.
    3. 3. Catholics in rural Texas? Maybe they exist, but I doubt it. :D

Again, very, very minor. Nothing not to recommend this story, for damn sure.

Don't be afraid to check this one out if you hated "Dance of the Dead". It may not sound like I'm saying much, but I really don't think many people will be too disappointed by this one.

16. gore

gore Guest

Is there any word of a box set of Masters?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006
  17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Caught the midnight replay of Hooper's The Damned Thing. I was really looking forward to this considering it was Hooper doing Bierce by wasy of R.C. Matheson. It was an enjoyable episode, but ultimately disappointing in the wake of Dance of the Dead. It was sort of a mixed bag.

I thought the chase scene at the start of the episode went on a bit too long. It could've been shortened to show more town carnage, which I thought the episode was lacking. The pacing felt sorta off to me, and the actress playing the wife wasn't very convincing in the trailer sequence. Bad CGI gore at one point, and more bad CGI towards the end.

I loved Ted Raimi as the town's sinister minister. I also liked the backstory about Sturges, the "Damned Thing", and the lead's father. The small town/rural atmosphere was great. The town carnage that we did get was fun to watch. The lead actor did a good job, and I loved it when he
    threw open the door and blew away the ranting reporter.

I did enjoy this episode, but nothing here really wowed me. Unlike last season, it doesn't look like Hooper will have the best entry this time around.

18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Cujo. I liked Dance of the Dead MUCH better than last night's episode. I was not impressed with The Damned Thing at all. It seemed to be a mish-mash of much better movies, it just kind of ended abruptly in a way I found very unsatisfying, and the camera work was enough to give you a headache. I generally like the hand-held effect. But I thought they went WAY overboard with it in that episode. Half the time you could hardly tell what the hell was going on.

That episode just never grabbed me the way the good ones have. Maybe it's just me. But I really found it uninspiring, almost boring. It was funny to see Ted Raimi cast as a priest.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

How funny is that, I too just ordered SHO when I go home from work. I got it because of this series and I wanted to check out that show Dexter.

on:
    the car accident scene and the man who had issues with his hammer. I am still just a touch iffy on the oil monster, but really... I have seen so much worse CGI so I am being forgiving for the rest of the story being so engaging. I just tend not to be a fan of CGI monsters in general, but I don't know how it could have been done otherwise.

I totally agree. The guy with the "issues" came out of nowhere. One of the better fx, I've seen lately. Forget those claims from movies like Hostel. This movie brought the stuff.

I only wish they showed what was going on in the basement. Which was probably due to time restraints. And the ending was ballsy.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You enjoyed Dance of the Dead, and yet THIS episode gave you a headache? I guess it's true about what they say with accounting for tastes...

Great episode and a great start to the second season!