The Official Masters Of Horror - SECOND SEASON - Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jefff

jefff Guest

ah yes, the shadow of the cat on the wall, couldnt tell with my computers resolution. awsome scene!

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Tonight SHO 10:00 pm

Washingtonians - Peter Medak

Starring Johnathon Schaech , Saul Rubinek

3. Luna

Luna Guest

YES! I love Bentley Little and I also love The Changeling so I'm hoping this comes together nicely.

4. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I enjoyed The Black Cat. The acting was good, especially by Combs, and so was the direction.

Someone was wondering whether there will be a third season. Well, in a recent Argento interview he did state that he would be doing another episode for the series so I think the answer is yes. Whether that's good news or not is another matter :)

Personally, I will keep watching them because there are some decent episodes. The bad ones are really bad, though.

5. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

And the yo-yo swings in the other direction...

The Washingtonians was terrible. Terrible.

I think I've got MoH figured out. The good films are every other episode. That's the only way to explain the extremes in the series.

6. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

I liked the whole concept of washingtonians but it missed in my opinion

7. ThievingWinona

i agree. the idea behind it was sound, but the execution was atrocious

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought it was a fun episode. I would put it in the top half of this season.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

The short story didn't come off the same way, as I recall. It was more serious unless I've forgotten the funny... which is possible because it's been a few years. Anyway, I did enjoy it in its over the top way. The end was a laugh-out-loud one for me.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I really didn't like this one at all. Do any of these guys feel an obligation to try to be scary? I could picture this idea having some potential. But it was way too campy. The Washingtonians mugged the camera and overacted so badly I thought I was watching a direct to video ripoff of 2001 Maniacs--which isn't exactly the type of flick I would mimic.

I'm starting to really hate the horror comedy. I like some of the Vincent Price films of that type and some others like Return of the Living Dead. But most of the time it seems like comedy is a cop out when the director realizes the movie isn't going to be scary. I certainly don't expect to be terrified by every new horror movie. But it'd be nice if filmmakers actually gave their all to scare us and didn't shrink from the responsibility of injecting scares into a "horror" film.

I'm starting to think that the concept of this series is fatally flawed. Based on what I've seen, I'd have to say that most of the "masters of horror" seem to be well past their primes as inspired filmmakers or completely disinterested in doing this show. If they have another season I hope they look for new talent.

11. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I thought The Black Cat was a lot of fun. It had some good black comedy without being overtly "funny". I had to stop watching The Washingtonians after 12 minutes because I found it unbearably boring. Jonathon Schaech is a terrible actor (at least in these first 12 minutes ...). Should I finish it, or is it better left unfinished?

12. ThievingWinona

It's a pretty awful film, but it is my experience that one should always finish something they being to watch/read

13. shape22

I'd throw this in for consideration. It doesn't get any better and I thought it got progressively worse as it went. The Washingtonians themselves overact so much they make Troma actors seem as stone-faced as Charles Bronson.

14. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Hehe, I wish. I've reached a point that when I read for entertainment, the book better be damn good in the first 50-100 pages if I'm to finish it. There just way too much other stuff I have to read for school.

As for films, I usually finish what I start. But this seemed like a complete waste of time from the get-go. Like, by having a lonely girl walking in the rain and then cut to a close up of her to reveal completely dry hair. Such filmmaking doesn't exactly ooze competence, Changeling or no Changeling.

15. Slow

Slow Guest

I'll just say if you didn't get the humor in the episode in the first 12 minutes you won't get it.

16. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

There was humor? :p

17. shape22

Yes. A huge joke at the expense of Showtime subscribers around the world.

18. Slow

Slow Guest

Yes if you don't find the premise of people worshipping George Washington cause he's a cannibal humorous I seriously can't help you.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Hehe, well that is funny. I guess I didn't watch enough to realize what it was all about. I'll maybe save it for a rainy day ...

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Tonight, last episode of season 2

10:00 pm SHO

Dream Cruise - Norio Tsuruta