The Official Masters Of Horror - SECOND SEASON - Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Oct 20, 2006.

1. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Nope.

2. Cool...I work at a second hand shop and Pro-Life came in...I'm getting it for $5 (that's before my employee discount)

3. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

4. I'm liking the second season more than the first (I'm getting them disc by disc, not watching them on TV or downloading them)

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I have only 3 left to watch from season 2, and I'm really hating this season! So far Pelts and Family are the only good ones!

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Most important question of all: when's Screwfly Solution coming out? I heard it was sometime this month.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

We All Scream for Ice Cream. Wow. That sucked so much it hurt.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

that one is the cheesiest episode i have seen and it brings such cheese it is my 3rd favorite episode of season 2 behind family and screwfly solution

"IT'S CHEERY TIME"

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I decided it's time to revisit Masters Of Horror, since I haven't seen them since back when they originally aired. I finally started a few nights ago. I actually started with season 2 instead of season 1, because there are a couple episodes I never got around to seeing (Sounds Like, Right To Die, Dream Cruise) while I've seen season 1 entirely, a few of the episodes more than once.

It's been nearly 8 years since I've seen these, so it's almost like seeing them again for the first time. So far I've watched the first three episodes.

The Damned Thing (Tobe Hooper) has a lot of great ideas and nice atmosphere, but the script is pretty sloppy and it doesn't make much sense. Didn't leave much of an impression, although there's a pretty impressive gore scene near the beginning.

Family (John Landis) is great macabre fun, easily one of my favorites from the season alongside Pelts and The Washingtonians. I kind of wish I could see it again for the first time, because I honestly can't remember if I guessed the twist or not. Watching it now, it's so obviously forecast throughout. I didn't realize it was from the writer of Frailty until watching the extras. Looks like he's attached to an adaptation of Joe Lansdale's The Bottoms! Can't wait!

I was struggling to stay awake through The V Word (Ernest Dickerson). What a bore! Dickerson has a great eye and knows how to make a beautiful horror film, but the script by Mick Garris is just embarrassingly bad. I liked the beginning when they were creeping around the funeral home, but that ran out of steam after about 20 minutes and the episode never recovered. Some of the vampire references were just cringe inducing (especially the famous "I don't drink... wine" line). Definitely one of the worst episodes of the series.

Up next I'll be checking out Sounds Like, an episode that I've never seen before! Very much looking forward to it!

I will say that the season two DVDs are pretty skimpy when in comes to extras, especially in comparison to season one. The season one DVDs are loaded with extras and retrospectives on all the directors. Even if you didn't like the episodes, the DVDs are essential purchases for the extras alone, covering the careers of our favorite genre directors. The season two extras are basically EPKs with spoilers. I guess it would have been a little redundant to do new extras about the careers of Tobe Hooper and John Landis, but it would have been nice to have some for Ernest Dickerson, who wasn't included in the season one line-up. Oh well.

It's a shame this only lasted two seasons. Even if the episodes were hit-or-miss, I don't think people realized how special this really was back when it first aired. We were getting a new movie every week for thirteen weeks of the year from some of our favorite genre directors. Looking at their IMDBs, most of these guys haven't even been able to get a feature off the ground since 2010.