The Official Masters Of Horror Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

So if there's 13 episodes... Are those extra five unaired ones (including Takashi Miike?) part of season two? Anyway, I think if they're going to do 8 episode series, they should release that way, not by themselves. Bad move.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

13 first season eps. 12 aired so far with Miike's still not available (even online, but if it's gonna air 4-4 in Europe or where ever like I heard, then it will be on torrent sites 4-5!;) )

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok lets clear this up:

13 Episodes 12 aired except for the Takashi Miike (Imprint)

In order:

Incident On and Off A Mountain Road
    Dreams in The Witch House
    Dance of The Dead
    Jenifer
    Chocolate
    Homecoming
    Deer Woman
    Cigarette Burns
    Fair Haired Child
    Sick Girl
    Pick Me Up
    Haeckel's Tale

As far as pricing look at my post 6 or 7 posts back. Why would any one spend $9.99 on each one when you can ............ well I explained it before.

I give you a hint:

Masters of Horror - Carpenter/Gordon 2-Pack (out now)
    Masters of Horror - Coscarellil/Garris 2-Pack (out 5/9)

$17.95 vs. $9.99 + $9.99 = $19.98 Not much but its a saving none the less.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  4. DrHerbertWest

I figured out if I buy the two packs at work with my discount, I can get them for $20, or I can buy the singles for $10.75 a piece. I'll probably end up doing the two-packs. It just sucks that...

Best Buy - $11.99 (exclusive material)
    Circuit City - $9.99 (exclusive poster)
    Wal-Mart - $8.84

But I can wait.

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I'll be awaiting the boxset. Who knows, maybe there will be a bonus DVD in there or something.

6. I actually think it would be in Anchor Bay's best interest to remove most of the extras and the collector's card included in the DVD from the discs if they put them in a box set (if they are gonna lower the price in the process, if they put out a boxset and charge 130 bucks for it then keep the extras), penalizing those who bought the single disc releases by adding a bonus disc to a future box set would really hamper second season single release sales.

7. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

On one of the hidden features on cigarette burns it gives you a five digit secret code number, and tells you to go to the MOH web site, which I did. I Couldn't figure out the relevance of the secret code #, though. Anyone privy to this?

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i picked up Cigarette Burns and i must say, i really enjoyed it! Maybe JC still has it in him after all! :D I'm tempted to get the other dvd now...

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I want to wait and get these as a set, because this seems like a lame way to release them and I don't want that many MOH dvds on my shelves.

That said, the DVDs were really beckoning to me yesterday at Wal-Mart. I was just looking through the bargain bin for hidden gems and the temptation to get those was so strong. You would have thought it was Vincent D'Onofrio standing over there the lure was so strong. I had to walk away, no DVDs in hand, as the proximity to them was too much for me. Give me strength not to get these oh lord. :nervous:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Something tells me by the time all the singles and double dvd set come out. there is going to be a big drop off in price. Think about it, they are one hour each and are probably not as popular as we may think. In the sense that unless you have Showtime you didn't see them. There was plenty on this board who didn't see them. Were not talking Sopranos popular here.

My bet these double dvd's will be going for around $9.99 to $12.00

11. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

More MASTERS directors—and episodes—named

http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5856

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

when is the joe dante episode homecoming is coming to dvd?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Why hasn't Romero done one????

14. DrHerbertWest

Holland? From Fright Night? I'm definitely checking this out. Nice to see they got another director from another so-so movie (the director of Demon Knight this season, the director of House On Haunted Hill last season).

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I've only seen the first 8 so far, thanks to my sister with Showtime and a TIVO, so here goes:

1) Incident On and Off a Mountain Road - It's been done before (crazy hillbillies trapping and killing passersby), but I liked how this one was set up and I like the twist ending, which I didn't see coming and was set up beautifully!

2) Dreams in a Witch House - It's Stuart Gordon doing what he does best; Lovecraft. Good creepy tale, but it felt like it had 3 endings.
    It could have ended with our hero in the asylum, but then they went one further and proved his case, then they went one even further and had him die!

3) Dance of the Dead - Everyone is panning this one as the worst episode, but I rather enjoyed it. It was a bit confusing to follow and you never really get the straight answer on what happened to the world, but I like the post apocalyptic feel and the premise was interesting. I went searching for the original Richard Matheson story, and actually found it online on the Scifi Channel's site.

4) Jenifer - The absolute best of the ones I've watched!! Argento's back!! Man this was creepy as hell and disgusting, while actually having an erotic feel! Based on a comic story by Bruce Jones who used to be the master of horror comics. I loved his work in Twisted Tales!! This one I'm buying when it's released!

5) Chocolate - I would say this was the worst one, but Homecoming has that dubious distinction. This was a piece of crap by hackmeister Mick Garris. Mick has so many horror connections and puts together some great projects, but he should stick with the organization and not the creation. This was terrible! The story made no sense. It was stupid and boring and wasn't horror, so shouldn't have been in the series! I guess Mick thought that since he put the series together, one of his works should be in it.

6) Homecoming - I used to like Joe Dante, but this piece of leftist shit put a really bad taste in my mouth. It was stupid and boring and so left leaning that it was ridiculous! I agree with what he had to say about soldiers dying for no reason, but this was so heavy handed and took direct blows at republican figures like Bush himself, Katherine Harris and Ann Coulter. This had no place in the series!

7) Deer Woman - John Landis doing what he does best, horror infused with a bit comedy! This was a fun story, and his allusion to American Werewolf in London with the story about the animal loose in Piccadilly Square was priceless!

8) Cigarette Burns - Though some people have thought that John Carpenter has gone downhill over the years, I still like him. I do agree that his movies of late haven't been classics like The Thing, Halloween, Escape from NY, etc., but I still enjoy them! And I enjoyed this one as well. This was the only one that I felt could have been expanded into a full lenghth feature. It had a nice creepy vibe, like the film, 8mm and harkened back to Carpenter's own In the Mouth of Madness.
    It had some things that made me scratch my head, like why haven't other people tried to find this print and why did our hero get further than anyone (they tried to make him out to be the man that could find anything, but the logic was a bit flawed), but all in all I ignored those things and got lost in the story. It was interesting that the writer used Cigarette burns as the catalyst. I've never heard the term before, but I assume what he's referring to are the dots that tell the projectionist the reel is about to end. It's a bit archaic now, since the reels are spliced together on big platters and the projectionist doesn't even have to be in the booth anymore. I guess that the writer was trying to use them as a metaphor for the fact that something is going to change! The projectionist in the story says something to that degree! It was an original way of putting the story together and using something tangible to pull together the reality and the hallucination.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  16. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I just saw the first couple...DREAMS didn't do much for me, I think the tone was a little too uneven. It plays like a horror comedy at first but then it shifts gears, only to get a little goofy again at the end. This could be a good way to really screw with the audience, but I didn't think it was executed well enough.

CIGARETTE BURNS I liked for the most part...it's derivative of a lot of earlier ideas [both Carpenter's and at least one short story I remember reading during the 80s called THE ANSWER TREE about a "lost" obscure European film that supposedly would kill audience members if viewed] but that's all right-I've always liked stories about lost, cursed movies so I don't mind seeing another variation on the idea.

From the previews, it looks like the Argento one is going to be the scariest by far.

17. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

No offence but Jennifer sucked. Cigarette Burn was excellent and I watched Haeckel's Tale the other day, it was OK.

18. I love that someone else could see that as well....

19. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Did anyone here actually get a free poster from CC? And if so, can you tell me what it is? I bought both discs seperately from 2 different CC stores and neither of them could find the free posters they were supposed to have.

And as far as rumors of a box set go, these single disc releases are so chock full of features with 16x9 transfers and 5.1 sound that I honestly wouldn't care even if a proposed set had a 2 bonus discs. As long as every episode gets this kind of treatment I'm satisifed. And when I'm only paying $20 for both discs a couple of months at a time, $130 total for a season doesn't feel so bad.

20. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

That was John Landis actually... Vic Morrow's death etc...