The Official OOP Blu Ray thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Angelman, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I thought it would be good to start a thread where we could give each other a head's up about Blu Rays that seem to be on the verge of going out of print. Not "out of print" meaning there are still 40 copies on Amazon but the company says it's out of print but discs that are seeming to be on the verge of disappearing from the marketplace.

For example I slept on "Alien 2: On Earth" and "Beyond the Darkness" and now both are unreasonably priced on the secondary market. So this would prevent us from succumbing to the eBay market for films we like.

Watchlist:
    - Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers "signed" edition (Retro Media)
    - Sex World (Vinegar Syndrome)
    - Candle for the Devil (Scorpion) limited quantities
    - Stripped to Kill (Scorpion) limited quantities

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It may be too late to add this to the list but Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers was just released and since it was limited the prices are already jacked up.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Great idea, Angelman!

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I own Babysitter Wanted and Red Velvet, two really fun and underrated modern slasher flicks that are extremely hard to come by on blu-ray.

Babysitter Wanted doesn't look that impressive, but Red Velvet looks beautiful in hi-def. Glad I jumped on both of these when they were released.

5. Angelman

PERFECT Example. I saw it up on Amazon, then it was gone, then it went back up so I ordered mine, and now it's gone again. Now we can all report in here. No need to pay scalpers.

6. Angelman

I'll keep a "WATCHLIST" in the first post that I will edit as things get close to OOP.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

8. Angelman

9. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

The "Sex World" Blu from VS is said to be getting down there in numbers and might be sold out by the end of the month.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've never been a big fan of these kinds of threads, because all they really do is cause people to jack up the prices of existing discs, on E-bay or whatever. Even on the For Sale section of this site, people will add "OOP" to the description of a title and add accordingly. OOP does not always mean rare or hard to find.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I contributed to the indiegogo account, so maybe I'll grab that one as one of my freebies! If it lasts!

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I understand your point. There are exceptions, such as limited blu-ray's from Zavvi, Synapse, Twilight Time, etc., which are close to selling out. I get the impression that is what Angelman was going for with this thread. Blu-ray's from Warner as an example that disappear from Amazon seemingly as though they are going out of print (such as The Friday the 13th blu-ray boxset) is more of an example I believe of what you were referring to Paff.

13. Angelman

Yeah the point here is to AVOID those prices, Paff. So if one of us notices something is appearing to be close to disappearing from the marketplace, we post here so members can buy it at the regular price from Amazon/Diabolik, etc. rather than eBay. An advance warning system.

So that way the forum members don't have to pay premium prices. With lower print runs from boutique sellers, it's good to draw attention to things that may command higher prices later.

Does that make you more of a fan?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I like the idea. For the most part I'm pretty good about picking up Blu's early in the game that I really care about. Thanks to this board I was able to grab stuff like Dead Alive before it disappeared.

15. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Glad I already own Dead Alive. Until I saw this thread had no idea it was OOP. I too purchase Limited Blu-Rays when they first come out. At the time of the my first Blu-Ray movie purchase I didn't have a HD TV nor a Blu-Ray player and I knew eventually I would purchase one in the future, and the first Blu-Ray I purchased was the Limited Edition Blu-Ray of The Evil Dead. Didn't care that I didn't own a TV nor a player yet, but I'm a huge fan of The Evil Dead.

16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I agree, but when selling on here I always compare to Ebay and Amazon prices and list considerably cheaper, if you've noticed. I will add the OOP but to indicate that if someone loves that film it may be hard to find, not because I'm going to charge $200.00 for a disc.
    When I sold my The Midnight Hour dvd from Anchor Bay on here, I asked for thirty bucks even though they were going for over a hundred on amazon used. The buyer, who I am sure is still on here, was very pleased I'm sure.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  17. Angelman

I updated my watch list (in the original post) to include the new Scorpion Titles that are in limited quantities from what I understand.

Again, this is only to let members know there is the possibility these may sell out soon-ish, so if you are a fan of these particular titles, maybe go pre-order.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  18. Christy

Christy Member

Yeah I read another member saying these would sell like hot cakes. As already mentioned anything you offer through Twilight Time is scalper 100% proof.

19. Angelman

I honestly don't know if they will or not BUT if either is your cup of tea...

20. Zollman

Zollman New Member

Screen Archives is not scalper proof.