The Official Turner Classic Movies (aka TCM) Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Thread title fixed. Ya happy?

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Not really. This thread doesn't seem to have the same pop and intrigue as the once before illusion thread :D

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Anyone heard of a movie called Nothing Lasts Forever? I don't think it ever made it to home video, not even a VHS release. Stars Zach Galligan with appearances by Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. I DVRed it a week or two back, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Also DVRed Miami Connection when they played it recently. Doesn't look like my type of movie, but I feel obligated to see it due to the cult following.

Also still have Our Mother's House DVRed to watch, which Copyboy recommended. Plus Phantom Of The Rue Morgue, which I've been dying to see again. I used to have a VHS of it recorded off of TNT. I remember being very disturbed by it as a kid, like when the knife thrower slices the girl's arm and when the bloody body falls out of the chimney.

TCM has been killing it lately!

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

DVR'd both, Cap'n.

Nothing Lasts Forever is a REAL trip of a movie. It's "futuristic", but many parts of it are filmed to look like it was made in the 1940s. And they really succeed. Just things like the signage in the background has that mid 20th century style. Also, if you're a Futurama fan like I am, you can make lots of Amy Wong references when Lauren Tom is on screen. Ya know, things like "Spluh..." or "Schmeesh". Overall, this movie makes NO sense, and I can see why it was never released. I doubt many people would appreciate it.

Miami Connection I started, then quickly got bored and went into another room while it was still playing. I got back with about 15 minutes to go, and suddenly saw how incredibly funny it is. If this is not the runner-up to The Room as far as worst movies ever made, it's damn close. So yeah, use that as your barometer. A lot of people don't dig The Room or watching extremely bad movies in general, so if you're one of those, you probably won't see the "fun" in Miami Connection either.

5. Christine88

Christine88 Guest

Some great films. Now if i can remember they are on. :lol:

6. CPT HOOK

I couldn't get into it. Ended up deleting it before I finished. But neat that TCM went out of their way to air something so rare.

From what I saw though, you are right that they did a terrific job of making it look like the 1940s.

7. CPT HOOK

Spider Baby is on at 3PM today.

Followed by Equinox and Night Of The Lepus.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Between TCM and El Rey, what a good week. El Rey is showing a ton of Italian horror.

9. CPT HOOK

Ah, I remembered someone on here recommended this one.

Not TCM related, but just thought I'd give a heads up: this was released as a DVD-R from Warner Archive on March 10th.

In other news, TCM will be airing Roller Boogie tomorrow night at 2AM! C'mon Shout Factory or Kino, we need this on blu-ray!

The following week in the same timeslot is a double feature of It's Alive and The Baby.

10. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Great news, Cpt Hook! Thank you!!

11. CPT HOOK

Tonight at 2:15AM TCM will be airing the killer snake flick Rattlers (1976), followed by the Irwin Allen dud The Swarm (1978).

They air The Swarm quite frequently, but Rattlers is new to me. Never seen it before, but apparently Something Weird put it out on DVD. Really excited to check it out, will be setting the DVR.

12. CPT HOOK

Alice Sweet Alice will be on TCM HD tonight at 2AM.

Next weekend in the same timeslot is The Church.

13. CPT HOOK

Last night they aired a double feature of The Night Visitor (1971) and Exorcist II. I had never heard of The Night Visitor so I DVRed it, apparently stars Max Von Sydow as an axe murderer. Looks like it's on blu-ray from VCI.

Strangely excited for next week's double feature of Razorback and Tentacles!