The Old Dark House (1932) 4k restoration!

Discussion in 'General' started by shape22, Oct 13, 2016.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes! Something was up when Kino did a dump of their remaining stock. Especially since it's arguably public domain.

I'm not a bit fan of it but I keep meaning to give it another chance. I'll plan to watch it in a Whale marathon then end up nixing it do to time constraints.

Now... Is Universal lending a hand with Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame somehow, somewhere?? o_O

3. shape22

You know, I used to feel exactly the same way about The Old Dark House. It took me years to track down a reasonable-looking bootleg copy, and when I finally saw it all I could think was "I put that much energy into acquiring THIS?" Of course, I still grabbed the Kino DVD when that came out. And although the quality was much, much better, I still didn't find it very appealing.

I watched it for the first time in many years a couple months back and enjoyed the hell out of it. It doesn't work as a horror film--AT ALL--but it's a fun, tongue-in-cheek farce with genre trappings. Freed from the misguided assumption that it's a horror film, I found much more to appreciate.

I still think Whale's goofy sense of humor wrecks Bride of Frankenstein. It's too easy to see how Bride could be a much more serious, intense movie . But I think you're supposed to giggle at pretty much everything in The Old Dark House. I'm pained by some of Ernest Thesiger's antics in Bride, but I find him consistently hilarious in TODH.

I'm also holding out hope for definitive hi-def editions of the 1925 version of Phantom and Hunchback. Fingers crossed for announcements on either or both of them, too.

4. shape22

A trailer has been released:

This looks to be an enormous upgrade, though it looks like they might have leaned a little too hard on the DNR. Black levels seem anemic, too, like contrast was boosted too much. In terms of resolution, though, this looks like a massive improvement. My pre-order is in, and I'm jacked to lay hands on this disc.

5. kyouki

kyouki New Member

Pre-ordered at Amazon.com, and sprung for fastest international shipping in the hope that this will get here in time for Halloween. Each year I take Nov. 1 off and watch horror movies from 10/31 6pm til at least 11/1 6am, and would love to have this in the lineup this year.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I thought it looked great.
    The encoding of the trailer itself was pretty bad, as there was huge compression artifacts visible in the background in some shots, and that+youtube compression itself, might have wiped out the grain.
    It's really hard to keep filmgrain intact on youtube. Vimeo usually handles it better.
    So I wouldn't worry about it :)

7. shape22

Here's hoping you're 110% right! Thanks.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. shape22

Amazon pre-order price is down to $16.23!

maskull likes this.