The Pain Of An HD DVD Early Adopter

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Regurgitate, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

You can pick-up the Xbox 360 HD-DVD players for around $30 on eBay. And even if you don't have a 360, you can use it as an external HD-DVD drive for your computer. HD-DVD collections still have a lot of life left in them.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yes! Exactly! Silly people. I see people on HighDefDigest buying two or three HD-DVD players as backups. Nonsense. They will be available for a looooong time, just as LD players are.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

But laserdiscs were a viable format for roughly 2 decades. While you're probably right about people being able to find HD-DVD players in bargain basements for years to come I think in the end they'll become much scarcer than LD players. HD-DVD was simply not around for long enough.

As far as blu-ray goes, I have an HD set, but I'm not even close to being tempted into upgrading. Players will have to become dirt cheap and region hackable before I dip.

4. geeare

geeare Guest

I don't have any HD-DVD titles because I went for Blu right from the start but I really don't see why you would replace these titles you already have. You have the player for them so why get rid of them? It's not like the Blu titles are better quality, visually anyway. I don't know anything about audio on HD-DVD titles but I have heard that the video transfers are the same on some of the discussions I've read. Anyway, if I had the player when Blu took over I would have taken advantage of all the sales and would not have worried about whether they were Blu or not. Worry about that when the next gen of HD hits the market.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  5. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

On one hand I agree with you, because it makes sense that LD was around longer. However, LD was always an expensive, high-end item. I had one, but none of my friends or family did. With expensive discs and limited selection in rental stores, it was really an item for home theater fanatics.

On the other hand, before the format died, HD-DVD players were available in the $99-$150 range. I knew a couple people that had them. And at the end, you could get a new Xbox player in stores for under $50. Movies were fairly cheap. So it wasn't a big investment.

I wonder if anyone has actual figures (how many LD Players vs HD-DVD Players were made)?

Of course, you could also figure in other factors. LD players were probably built better. And LD owners probably took better care of their expensive machines. So they might last longer.

But I've got a standalone HD-DVD Player and a 360 HD-DVD drive. So hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a couple years.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It is the best known and most beloved site for all things computers. Best prices and insanely fast shipping.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

LD was always a niche. So was HD-DVD, but it was a niche at a time when stores were practically giving the players away and when even a "niche" in the now-much-larger home video market stomps the size of the laserdisc base back in the day.

And if you look at the amount of HD-DVD players sold versus the amount of half-decent LD players manufactured, I can almost guarantee there are more HD-DVD players.

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

You can even still find Betamax tapes and players. Just do a search for betamax on ebay.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, but would you want one?

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

well, what if you had some old home video on Betamax and you needed to transfer it to digital? How would you do it?

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Home video? I'd go to a store that converts it, and have it done there. But then, I'd have done it years ago......

Each to their own - but just because you can still buy 8-Track tapes doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to get one. :)

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

kind of like HD-DVDs, but people are still buying them cause ermm.. just because ;)

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm still buying HD-DVDs. Then again, I only got into them because of the drop in price. Eventually I will go blu but I'm not in a rush.

14. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

Ahh.. Just the kind of support I was looking for. ;)

This was kind of a rhetorical post, not to mention I was not in the clearest state of mind when I started typing. I didn't think that HD DVD was going to be a 1909 VDB penny or anything that I was going to sell and retire off of in the future. I don't expect many/any people to agree with me. Maybe my situation is unique but I can give a little detail as to why I am disinterested in the HD DVDs I do own.

First off my first HD DVD player was the add-on for the Xbox 360. I thought it worked great with my 1080i tv. Fast forward to when I purchased my 1080P TV.. The 1080P playback on the 360 is prone to constant jerking of the picture. Maybe dropped frames are a more accurate description. I first noticed this charming anomaly when I was connected to the TV with component cables. So, in another moment of wisdom (wishful thinking) I purchased an Xbox 360 with HDMI out.. Still have the jerky playback and this is with DVDs being scaled to 1080P. Unacceptable in my opinion and I think it's a limitation of the hardware..

Next I got a stand-alone HD DVD player, an A30, during the firesale extravaganzas when HD DVD was in it's death throes. Now that player had 1080P output and it could play HD DVDs back nicely. Unfortunately the obsessive compulsive inside could not rest.. Not only was the player horrendously slow, when the player was in 1080P/24 mode anything that had a video source flag looked like utter shit. I would have to go into the firmware any time I wanted to watch something that wasn't an HD DVD and change the 1080P mode. Now look, that might be minor to someone else but the firmware was slow and it seriously affects my enthusiasm for watching anything. Now if that wasn't bad enough I only have 3 HDMI inputs. The cable box wasn't going anywhere and the same goes for the PS3.. Now in a battle over the Xbox and the shitty HD DVD player the Xbox won. I know I could get an HDMI switch and maybe I will but for now that's out for reasons I will not bore you with.

So here I am using my PS3 for Blu Ray and in Hidef contentment and I am saying to myself "Ditch these HD DVDs and go with the convenience of one device that works, and nicely.".

That's just me, your mileage may vary.

15. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

It has not happened just yet but I want all the credit of told you so!!! I'm almost positive sooner or later Blue-Ray will shit the bed. It wont be any time soon but I'm sure the whole HD revolution will come to a dying halt. I'm certain regulars DVD's will end up winning the format wars. Thoughts?

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

It's not a limitation of the hardware. I suspect it's a faulty HD-DVD drive and would suggest you get it replaced. Clearly it's not the 360 since you have already replaced that. But I can tell you it's not a regular problem since my only method of HD-DVD playback is through the 360 add-on, and that I have never encountered the problem you describe.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a few thoughts... I have to ask, what makes you so positive that it'll "shit the bed"? See, I don't see that happening. Even laserdisc, that only really caught on with die-hard movie fans still had a good 20-year run. I think you're 100% wrong, to be completely honest. I see it the total opposite way. I think HD is the future. TV is now being broadcast in HD (which I think will soon become the standard as HDTVs are becoming more and more common, because widescreen has become the new standard. TV shows are even filmed in widescreen now for shit's sake). My brother bought an HDTV just for HD sports channels and now he's looking to get a blu ray player because DVDs don't look NEARLY as good as high def blu-ray discs.

The thing is, DVD was never really perfect. There was always the problem of interlaced video, NTSC itself always sucked, digital artefacting, compressed video, compressed audio, etc.

Even upscaled DVDs don't look too great (mind you they look much better than standard definition) but I wouldn't call an upscaled DVD anything near HD quality. Upscaling can only do so much, as there is no HD source. I'm not kidding, the difference between blu-ray and DVD (oftentimes even an upscaled one) is staggering, and people now are just starting to realize that. With more and more titles becoming available on HD, it's starting to take off. It's just the beginning, trust me. It's nowhere NEAR the end. Blu-ray (and HD-DVD) is the only home video format we've had that most closely represents the look of actual film. Grain prevales, images flow, color reproduction is glorious, it LOOKS LIKE FILM.

But now...what's your reasonging behind your argument that it's going to fail?

~Matt

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Oh I don't want BR to fail at all. The main mistake they keep making over & over is releasing bare bones HD discs. The regular DVD bonus features & multiple versions end up making regular DVDs the must buy purchase versus BR. Oh my Mom is buying me a laptop soon with built in BR. I'm so freeggin excited I can't wait!!!!

19. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Speaking of HDDVD, anyone know of a site that lists all the horror titles released on the format? I'm just about to get a new TV, and as of now, a HD-DVD addon for my xbox is the only option (can't afford a BR player) to view HD movies besides satellite. So I'm thinking about getting some titles at a very cheap price, but am not sure whats all out there.