The Paul Naschy Blu-ray Collection (Shout! Factory) 5-Disc Set - 6/20/17

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Werewolf and the Yeti is the prize here. I saw it at the New Beverly maybe10 years ago. So much fun.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Werewolf and the Yeti since the oversized clamshell VHS days. The only title in the set I haven't seen at all is the crime/thriller. Still a better set of titles this time around and I'm really looking forward to it.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's certainly the opposite of the Vincent Price sets, where the quality and desirability of the movies diminished with each volume released. This set is a must have.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Price drop on Amazon for vol. 2. I'm sure it will go lower.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Paul Naschy Collection II Blu-ray Detailed

Hunchback of the Morgue (1973)
    • NEW Audio Commentary By Rod Barnett And Troy Guinn Of The Podcast, NaschyCast
    • Theatrical Trailers (Spanish And English)
    • Still Gallery
    • In Castilian With English Subtitles And English Dub
    Devil's Possessed (1974)
    The Werewolf and the Yeti (1975)
    • Still Gallery
    Exorcism (1975)
    • NEW Audio Commentary By Author Troy Howarth
    • Alternate "Clothed" Versions Of The Nude Scenes For The Original Spanish Release
    • English Credit Sequence
    • Still Gallery
    A Dragonfly for Each Corpse (1975)
    • NEW Audio Commentary By Author Troy Howarth
    • Still Gallery

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Paul Naschy Collection II Blu-ray set arrived in the mail today (along with The Incredible Shrinking Woman) from Shout Factory, so they are definitely shipping now. Again, I don't remember getting any shipment email...but just in time for Halloween! o_O

$44 to pre-order it back on the SF sale the other month was a pretty sold deal.

zbinks and satans-sadists like this.
  7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Let us know how the quality is when you get a chance to watch any. I bought mine at Deep Discount during their last 15% off coupon offer, so I will be waiting a while.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, I was expecting it to be something else (not reading the FROM) and then I opened it and "Holy Shit!" No shipping notice on my end either. I was going to finish October off with the Universals but now I HAVE to run through these instead. :cool:

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

There are some really enjoyable flicks in this box. Hunchback is a nasty little flick with some classic Naschy elements (even when he's a hunchback he manages to bed hot Euro babes). Dragonfly is a fun giallo variation, and Naschy has a rare relatively straight role. Like Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll, the violence is restrained compared to a lot of the Italian giallos, but it doesn't skimp on the other expected elements. As others have already mentioned, The Werewolf and the Yeti is the crown jewel here. You won't see many loopier old-school monster movies.

I'm looking forward to this arriving on Tuesday--and a full week off for Thanksgiving to watch all of these flicks again. I haven't seen any of them for a long while.

satans-sadists likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The two that I am the most eager to watch are The Werewolf & the Yeti along with Hunchback of the Morgue. This past year has been great for Naschy Blu-ray releases: ten films from Scream Factory spread out on these two collections, Inquisition from Mondo Macabro, and three yet to be released films from Code Red. The three from Code Red are to be released separately: Assignment Terror, Fury of the Wolf Man, & The Mummy's Revenge.

shape22 likes this.
  12. shape22

I can't freaking wait for those Code Red releases. Did Bill give any idea about release dates yet? Fury of the Wolf Man will be particularly amazing if it's in uncut form. I've only ever seen the cut scenes as extremely low-res inserts.

We need ALL of El Hombre Lobo's adventures in hi-def. Fingers crossed for future releases.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

No mention of dates for the Code Red Naschy films. Would be awesome if all three are released at the same time. It's pretty common practice for multiple Code Red titles released all at once.

Have you ever seen the Paul Naschy film The Beast & the Magic Sword? I have not. It sounds very different, but interesting.

IMDB summary: In the 16th Century, the lycanthrope Waldemar Daninsky goes from his native Europe to Japan, seeking a way to cure himself of being a werewolf. Only a Japanese sorcerer named Kian and a magic silver sword can save him.

[​IMG]

14. shape22

Yes, I've seen this one. Here's what I wrote back in 2013:

3/5--Mediocre 7th entry in the Hombre Lobo series benefits from actual Japanese locations. Nothing else new to report--especially in a dull first half that features very little of the titular hairy one. Eventually picks up steam with some messy sieges. But the one real highlight is one of the best sequences in the series--an amazing mano y mano battle between Naschy and a real tiger. They smack each other around with scary intensity. And it's all the more amazing than it appears because there was no stunt double. From Naschy's autobiography: "Then came the day of the fight between Wolfman and tiger. After numerous inquiries circus lion tamers and animal trainers told me that the fight could be filmed with the realism I wanted using panthers, leopards, or lions but with a tiger it would be impossible. I was about to give in when I heard that the tigress from the TV show Sandokan was in Holland and it might be possible to use her. Her trainer arrived with three big cats in a huge cage. It was strange to see that the fierce beasts were kept under control by an intelligent dog of uncertain breed whose intervention was on occasion decisive. Before shooting the tiger has to be fed 25 chickens. If she'd been hungry the critter would have eaten me and the trainer for breakfast."

The tiger scene is tremendous.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Despite your mediocre rating for the film overall, you've sold me on it due to the werewolf VS tiger scene!

16. shape22

Yes! And, for the record, I still dig mediocre Naschy flicks. This one is just kind of subdued compared to some of the others.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I recently finished watching the Naschy Collection Volume 2. Previously I had only seen one of these films before - Exorcism. The variety of film themes is welcome here. I would give thumbs up to all of them. Devil's Possessed however probably has the least replay value of this set. It didn't really live up to the title. A Dragonfly for Each Corpse was a pretty solid giallo. Have to say though that Hunchback of the Morgue along with The Werewolf & the Yeti were my favorites. Both of these films were wildly entertaining & full of memorable scenes. The technical presentation isn't the best overall in this set, nevertheless I'm very happy to have this in my collection.

Angelman likes this.