The Prodigy - February 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

A mother concerned about her young son's disturbing behavior thinks something supernatural may be affecting him.

New horror movie (set on Halloween) from Orion. From the director of The Pact and the writer of Midnight Meat Train and the upcoming remakes of Pet Sematary, Jacob's Ladder, and The Grudge. That's a whole lotta remakes!

This is getting a wide theatrical. I'll definitely be there.

[​IMG]

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Anyone catch this one yet? Going to a late night showing tonight. Keeping my expectations in check, we'll see.....

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I highly recommend checking this out in theaters while you still can. Pretty fucking cool little flick, man. There were at least a couple of times I said to myself "man, that was pretty fucking creepy". It starts right off, it's a straight forward horror story.....kind of a dreadful tone from start to finish. Really good acting from everyone involved. Miles did a fantastic job I thought (Georgie from the IT remake). Even has a little bit of blood.

I thought I was going to have the theater to myself.....but two other younger dudes came in right before showtime.....then their dates arrived 15 mins into the movie. How in the fuck you going to be that late for a movie that starts at 11pm? For fucks sake.

othervoice1, Steel76 and CPT HOOK like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

I had wanted to do a double feature of this and Cold Pursuit on Friday, but ice storms prevented that. This was the first day I could get out of the house, so I caught the early matinee of it. I had the entire theater to myself. I don't think this exactly set the box office on fire.

As for the movie... I was mixed. I didn't dislike it, but for a majority of the running time, this is a pretty generic evil kid movie with bursts of unintentional comedy. It reminded me of Little Nicky, because the kid mutters things like "GO FUCK YOURSELF" in his sleep. I laughed out loud more than once. Some of it is pretty outrageous. It's not super violent or anything, but they aren't afraid of going for that R-rating.

Without giving too much away, the opening scenes tell the audience what is going on with Miles and why he is evil. So for about an hour of the movie, you're just kind of waiting for the parents to catch up, and this part of the movie is definitely your generic evil kid movie. Once the parents are finally up to speed, what they decide to do with that information is when the movie really gets interesting. I thought the last 20 minutes or so were terrific. So patience is definitely required here, and also rewarded.

I will say the movie is only 90 minutes, which was extremely refreshing given all the 2 hour movies I'm always sitting through. When the credits started rolling, I thought it might have been a fake-out like Vice, and there was still more movie left. It felt like only an hour had gone by. I loved the suburban mid-western feel. I was disappointed that the trailer somewhat sells it as a Halloween movie, and there's really not much Halloween in it beyond what is shown in the trailer.

I did not even realize the kid was Georgie from It until I read Natas' post. The great Colm Feore plays a psychiatrist here, trying to figure out what's wrong with Miles. My favorite role in the movie would have to be scream queen Brittany Allen from the stellar What Keeps You Alive and Jigsaw. LOVE her! Paul Fauteux is also a standout, I was completely unfamiliar with him before this. You certainly won't forget him after this!

So overall, I wouldn't consider it a must-see, but it's fairly entertaining for the most part. Certainly no Orphan when it comes to the evil kid genre. If you're going to see it theatrically, I would go for the cheap matinee. Do it quickly though, as I can't imagine it will be around for long. At the very least, the movie does go by rather quickly.

gyhorrorfan07, Natas and othervoice1 like this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Solid write up, my man. I agree with your thoughts. I really enjoyed the one on one with the psychiatrist. I loved how "Miles" turned the tables real quick lol

And YES! 90 minutes should be the God damn standard for horror movies. Comedies as well. The running time definitely added to my motivation for wanting to catch it in the theaters. The Prodigy moves as a brisk pace.....I was never bored. I actually stuck around till the end credits to see if they added a quick scene.....no such luck, but the very end of the credits had Miles humming that creepy little tune.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

Especially the
    close up of his teeth after he threatens to plant pubes in his mouth! :eek:

I don't know why, but I find children swearing hilarious. And Miles is one potty-mouthed kid! I got some good laughs out of him.

There's been a mild bit of internet controversy over the fact that this movie lifted a scare directly out of Mario Bava's Shock. I have never seen Shock, but I did watch the clip. Here it is, if anyone is interested (spoilers, obviously): https://twitter.com/EricVespe/status/1094527965868765185

Natas likes this.
  7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Wow......that sequence is spot on ripped from Shock. Doesn't bother me though, that was a cool little scene I thought.

yes, the pubes was a riot. I loved the translation of what Miles was saying in Hungarian in his sleep. "You fucking whore,, I'm gonna watch you die" LOL

8. CPT HOOK

Blu-ray release on May 7th.

Special Features:
    • Audio Commentary by Director Nicholas McCarthy
    • Promotional Featurettes
    • Gallery
    • Optional English SDH, Spanish, Quebecois

[​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.
  9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Will probably get this day one

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Saw this last night and enjoyed it. Nothing ground breaking but it was entertaining. Kind of a mix of The Bad Seed and The Omen with a tiny pinch of Shocker thrown in. I liked that it had a few nice moments that caught me off guard along with a creepy and menacing overall tone. Worth a watch!

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Agree with others here, enjoyed it, but nothing groundbreaking.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw this recently and enjoyed it too. My wife found it really scary for some reason and was jumping and swearing a lot lol. There were some really cool, creepy moments I enjoyed a lot, like the scene they ripped from Demons 5.

13. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Was that one "Black Demons"?..."The Church" and "The Ogre" both lay claim to being "Demons 3," right?...I get confused which ones are four and five...i watched a made for Italian tv remake of "Black Sunday" and I believe that was marketed as a Demons sequel in some territories...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Didn't mean to hijack the thread...haven't yet seen "The Prodigy" yet but it's on my list...if for no other reason than to see the scene lifted from "Shock" lol

15. Zombie Dude

I know, there's way too many unrelated sequels trying to capitalise on the Demons name. It's crazy and confusing.
    The film I'm talking about is Demons 5 The Devil's Veil (1989), at least I think that's the one. I can't find the trailer and I know the scene I'm thinking of was shown in the trailer.
    It's the bit where the kid runs up to the mum and then jumps up as an adult. The exact same thing happens in the Demons film but it's a demon or witch instead. I remember seeing the scene in the trailer and thinking it was terrifying and a well done effect.

m@ggot likes this.
  16. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

I just did a quick search of YouTube and I believe Demons 5 is indeed the remake of Black Sunday (onscreen title "La Maschara Del Demonio"...and from what I remember it played out more like a teen slasher...with Asa bumping off the teens who awoke her in some icy location).I think you're thinking of "Shock"....also known as "Beyond the Door II"...a further unrelated sequel to add to the confusion, lol ...

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Check the last 35-45 seconds of this trailer Zombie Dude:

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  18. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Yep, that's the scene there. I did see it in an English trailer where the bit was longer and even more similar to The Prodigy, but you're right, I had the films mixed up. Thanks for finding it! :D

m@ggot likes this.