The Prom Night Series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Jul 21, 2003.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Skippy and Ozzy?? You're not thinking of Trick or Treat, are you? That one stars Mark Price (who played Skippy on Family Ties) and Ozzy in a short performance as a minister on TV.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Thanks RyanPC i think i had a brain Cramp there. I saw Prom Night 3 and Trick or Treat back to back that night. I think I got so numbed that by the end Ozzie and Skippy jumped movies.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

This is one I'll most likely skip on. I watched Prom Night 4 for the first time not too long ago and didn't really like it except for about the last five minutes. I still haven't seen 3, but am not sure if I want to.

5. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

---- SPOILER ----

I think one of the most shocking moments I've seen in horror movies comes in Part 4, where Nicole DeBoer (as well as I) is startled by the sudden immolation of her friends upon wooden crosses. This scene works so well because it's extremely startling and almost out of context. The film is rather low-key up until that point, and the explosion really sets your expectations to the side. I was genuinely impressed with this movie, and feel that all the entries of the Prom Night series are varied enough to keep interest throughout.

Good thread, rhett.

6. bslayer619

bslayer619 Guest

God I so need to get these movies! I saw the first one. Then the second one I remembered I watched when I was a kid. And then telling my dad to record it on a videotape for me. Ever since then I haven't watched them. And yes after this I'll be getting the sequels that follow. Right on.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Pt 3 sucked ass IMO.Looks like a made for tv flick.So now i am afraid to watch pt 4.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

So has anyone picked up the Canadian alliance atlantis Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2 DVD. There selling for real cheap, but if its a shitty tranfer i would rather not get it.

9. It's not Artisan shitty...it's not the best transfer in the world though. But for the price I think it's worth it.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I bought it awhile back. It's a pretty decent DVD overall actually. Not the greatest transfer in the world, but it's not really a "cheap" DVD either.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

I did a review for this, but I don't know when it will be posted. Anyway, here is a screenshot I took from it:

[​IMG]

The transfer certainly isn't great, but it is more than acceptable. Since it is a good little movie, I would highly recommend purchasing it, especially since it is so cheap.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Was the film originaly shot in full frame?

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, it did go theatrical, so I imagine it was shot with 1.85:1 in mind, but this transfer is open matte and not pan & scan. There is plenty of extra headroom in every shot, but never any mics or anything.

14. All the Prom Night 2 talk made me go watch the DVD again today...and I must say, as cheesy as the movie is, I can't help but love it.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Thanks rhett as long as it's not pan & scan i'll pick it up.

16. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I just watched part 1 for the first time last night and I have to say it was quite horrible. I think the editing had much to do with it. The first 10 minutes were excellant but the rest was bad. They threw the psycho escaped from the mental institution into the mix, and I didn't care for it. I think it was very un needed. Also how they kept making people look like they were the killer was very uneeded. They made you think it was the principal,brother,janitor etc... and that was dumb. I knew who it was all along.
    I would give this movie a 3 out of 10 rating. It was really bad.

17. Yeah damn those filmmakers for throwing in red herrings...how dare them try to misdirect people. It's an 80's slasher, I'd be rather disappointed in you if you DIDN'T know who the killer was within the first five minutes of the film.

18. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Does anyone know if the new Platinum release of Prom Night is pan & scan or open matte?

19. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

It's open matte.

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

What is the quality like Tawny, care to post a couple caps?