The Prom Night Series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

Here's a screenshot to the widescreen Anchor Bay one.
    [​IMG]

2. Tawny

Here's the open matte Platinum one.
    [​IMG]

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Jesus! I didn't think that transfer could get any worse! Totally washed out and way too bright. As much as seeing a little more of PROM NIGHT on the top and bottom interests me, I'm going to pass on it. Thanks for the pics Tawny (and so fast too!).

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ugh, I think I'll hold on to my Anchor Bay DVD!

Does the print on the Platinum DVD actually have a longer run time? Or is it just a typo on the back of the case?

5. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

it is actually longer but not by three minutes. only 1 minute plus a couple seconds.

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

What is in that 1+ minute? A couple lines of dialogue?

7. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

unfortunately i have never seen either copy of the movie but my wife was curious about the extra minutes so i put both discs in the computer to see the total minutes and the platinum version was longer. she watched it to try to find out what was extra but was having trouble i think.

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Are you sure the length doesn't have something to do with company credits at the start or the end of the DVD? I know the Anchor Bay DVD has a messed up running time because everything is placed on the same video file, including the trailer.

In the TV cut there was a scene of Leslie Nielsen chopping wood, that wouldn't happen to be in the Platinum release would it, Ms. Tawny?

9. Tawny

The Platinum cut is only longer because of the opening logo. The Anchor Bay dvd starts right at 0:00 with the movie. The Platinum movie starts at around 00:36. The scenes with Leslie Nielsen chopping wood wasn't there, unless I blinked and missed it.

10. startide

startide Member

11. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

I have it. It's on Cinemageddon in Xvid and Custom DVD-R.

The disc includes:
    * The full-size file of the PROM NIGHT television edit, recorded in 1984 from a late night CTV broadcast (aspect ratio is 1:33, display 640 X 480, 29.97 fps and a running time of 1:34:21 for the main movie)
    * An interactive menu with scene selection
    * A bonus of 3 original television trailers from 1980 when the movie was first released

12. norwegianfaust

norwegianfaust Member

Prom night box sets

Some hopefully useful info regarding the Prom night films:

Both the Canadian box set from Alliance and the new Australian box set from Beyond entertainment contain the UNCUT version of PART 3 (NOT the truncated tv cut released in the US with part 4)!

Unfortunately, the Alliance set contains an incorrectly converted PAL to NTSC transfer of part 1. It's REALLY abysmal! The transfer stutters every time there is a movement of ANY kind, indicating a frame rate issue. Makes it nigh unwatchable! The Australian set has a far better version, without the frame rate / stutter issues, but the open matte version of part 2 features slightly better picture quality on the Alliance set. Which is why I have both.:D

The transfers of part 4 are pretty much identical.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

SPOILERS
    So I re-watched Prom Night about a month ago now and still can't seem to REALLY like it. I thought it was crappy and boring the first time I saw it, years ago now; this time I did enjoy it and the characters more but things still bugged me.
    The first thing is the start of the movie when the kids are playing that game and then target the young girl. It doesn't feel right because what's their motive? The game before that was: find a person, tap them, they're dead. There was a whole group around that last girl and not one of them tagged her, it just didn't feel right or make sense. They just kept repeating that "kill" line for way too long and then don't seem too concerned at all when she falls to her death. It's dumb.

The next issue I had is the killer. Seeing as he was the dead girls brother why did he wait so long to say anything? And why wait till Prom Night to do anything about it?! What was that all about? It's easily the worst aspect of the film. It's seems like it was just an excuse to put a twist at the end but they really didn't try hard enough to have it make sense.

I know this film has a lot of followers and love but what do you guys think of those two bits in the film?

14. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Yeah prom night always had a hazy out of focus soft look to it, and didn't care for the characters either..

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The answer to both questions is that it's an 80's slasher. You're way overthinking it.

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

The knew Robin, and she probably wasn't really in the popular group, or at least this select group. Kids are dicks. They're just teasing her, but it gets out of hand. They're more in shock when she is killed, at least I thought.

Tough to say, but Prom Night is the last night when the teens will all be together. If Alex is going to get his revenge, it HAS to be tonight, otherwise it'd be too hard to track them down afterwards. Besides, it's easier when they're isolated rather than stalking them down at home.

17. Zombie Dude

My copy looked really good. It's from the Australian box set. I was impressed by the picture. I liked the character more this time around but thise two things I pointed out really ruined it for me.
    That's really not an excuse at all, especially seeing as the ending itself raises all these head scratching questions. If a movie ends poorly you can't just say someones over-thinking the issues it has.
    The start still just doesn't feel right to me as there really is no reason or motive for all the kids to be acting like that. It just doesn't seem to flow well for me but I'm probably just being nitpicky.

The ending still doesn't make sense though. It's not like those kids disappeared and had to be tracked down, they all went to the same school and were pretty much still friends. He was probably six when his sister died so that's around 12 years he had to do something about it. Why didn't he tell an adult? Why wait so long? There would have been plenty of opportunities for him to kill off these kids in 12 years. It's a giant plot hole that I've not heard much discussion about.
    If they had some backstory in their somewhere about him repressing it and only remembering it again during that time then cool, but they don't. The people behind this seemed too busy making us think it was some psycho that got blamed for the girls death that they forgot a twist needs to actually have a bit of logic behind it.

18. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Maybe you were never bullied, Zombie Dude, but trust me - kids regularly gang up on anyone not in their group for no reason other than they can. I don't think the kids in "Prom Night" meant to actually kill her but bullying often gets out of hand. I think the beginning rings truer than ever these days.

19. Zombie Dude

Maybe it's different in America but I don't know any kids that bully like that here. They'd either exclude you if they didn't like you, call you names or take jabs at you in fort or behind your back. If they were going to gang up like the kids in Prom Night it'd be for a punch on.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Zombie Dude, after the intro with Robin's death, it cuts to (6 years later not 12) her family at her memorial and mention it is the anniversary of her death. That might have triggered the memories. As for her death, I agree wit the other who stated that the kids were just being dicks as it was obvious she wasn't part of their group. Kids always picked on, and I would assume they were the popular kids.