The Prom Night Series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I guess that could have been the case it just bugs me that it was never mentioned. Oh well, just not a fan I guess.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hmm I always thought the plot of Prom Night to be one of the more realistic ones compared to other slasher films. I mean there's obvious moments of cheese, but the opening is totally realistic. Sure these kids are dicks but this seems like something that could happen in any small town. Then the one person who witnessed it takes their revenge? I thought the opening was really chilling and actually had a bit of style to it. The children chanting over and over is just damn creepy. I dunno maybe I just love the movie too much. It's always been one of my favorites.

That being said, cannot wait to see Synapse's restoration.

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Thought I might share these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe this belongs in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, but The Last Kiss has always been my favorite. It's like a Saved By The Bell Halloween special. But I love 'em all.

Can't wait for the upcoming Synapse release!

4. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Just FYI, but I've seen a double feature DVD of Parts 1 and 2 from Echo Bridge in the bargan bin of my local K-mart for $5.00. I don't remember the specs. I didn't pick it up, because I already have the EB disc of Part 1 (with a bad, compression-riddled transfer), and the MGM disc of Part 2 (which I'm certain is superior to whatever EB is squeezing out).

5. Zombie Dude

I guess when I grew up things were different. Kids were mean, sure, but they were sneaky and cruel about it. The only chants I can ever recall was "fight" when to kids wanted to brawl.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I didn't really like Prom Night upon first viewing. It just wasn't what i expected I guess. But I revisited it for our podcast, as well as checked out the rest of the series for the first time and I agree, the first movie is really good! I had no problem with the pace or lack of gore because the story was so involving and the characters so likeable. And I agree, that chant is pretty creepy, not to mention one of the better chase scenes in a slasher. It's now one of my favourite slashers and I can't wait for the Synapse Blu-ray!

Yeah I for the most part enjoyed them all (Although Part 4 was a little weak), but The Last Kiss was probably my favourite sequel. It's just so whacky and a lot of fun. I agree with the Saved by the Bell Halloween special feel haha. I hope if it does get released on Blu-ray we get the unedited cut as the DVD had all the good bits cut out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  7. rift

rift New Member

I know I've seen it but I don't remember part IV at all...any chance II-IV come out on blu?

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Apparently Synapse will be looking into the sequels, well at least part 2, if the first one sells well enough on Blu.

9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The first one should do well as it's the first time it's being released in a watchable version with extras. If it doesn't do well then I'll never know or understand why. Who knows why some movies do well and others don't. I'd like to see the sequels hit at least decent DVDs.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Hello Mary Lou is one of my favorites of the genre. I'd love to have a nice BD.

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Then hopefully they won't fuck themselves (and us) by releasing it only in a $40 limited steelbook.

12. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

here here.

For me in order of preference; 2, 3, 1 then 4.

13. sade

sade Member

Ditto!

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I don't think they will. They received a lot of backlash from those steelbooks, not to mention the issues they had with the company not making them enough backups for defective cases, and the fact that they still haven't sold out.

Personally I bought them and think they are worth every penny, but I can understand fan's disappointment, especially if you aren't a steelbook fan. I would love to see one for Suspiria but I doubt that will happen now. Synapse should have released a limited steelbook for the hardcore fans/ collectors, and a regular version for the people that just want to watch the movie. That being said, the steelbook version still shouldn't be $50 a piece when everyone else is only adding on a $5 premium for their steelbooks, if anything. It would also be nice if they weren't exclusive to their site as it makes it extra expensive for us Canadians.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Every time I watch this movie, I grow to think slightly higher of it.

Anyway: the kids being nasty was less a realistic choice (but not because kids are any less nasty than these bastards) and more a stylistic choice. Look at how well the film is shot, particularly. The brevity of the shots and the incredible editing. Great detail including the shots of their faces and the perfect corresponding facial expression for each shot. They were definitely meant to be a tension-inducing or nerve-grating element. On that level, the scene is a success.

But, I do think there is a logical problem given the next lengthy section of the movie. Even on an ideas' level- the kids were idiots. It wasn't a simple nor complex mistake that led her to die. Anyone knows not to push someone out of an open window and they sure as hell pushed her. They were stupid. And the movie was a bit stupid as well for hinging a major plot point and the killer's entire motivation off a sequence of the film shot so directly that there's no room for interpretation.

As for the killer... he was gay. Watch it again and pay close attention to all of his scenes. He "didn't want a date" for the Prom (because his sister was setting him up with girls), there's a scene where he barely dodges a kiss from another guy, and he's unmasked wearing lipstick. Not to mention just what was going on in his head that he felt the need for vengeance in the first place. He was at a prime age to have already been dealing with certain issues at the start of the film. And the relationship they had as children was anything but him as protector, so it's highly questionable that guilt was his only feeling about what happened.

And that kind of invalidates some of the problem I had with the kids' idiocy being the killer's visible motivation.

16. Zombie Dude

The killer being gay is an interesting angle I've never thought of while watching this. It definitely gives him more of a motive if you look at it as him struggling to deal with his feelings and then conjuring up other feelings he had from the past. Interesting.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I think the actor was in real life (as was the actor who played Nick) - maybe it just shows onscreen when it really wasn't supposed to?

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Did anyone else think that Alexander Hamilton High School was supposed to be foreshadowing of who the killer would be?

19. Phillie90

Phillie90 New Member

The best two hands down are Hello Mary Lou and the Last Kiss. Always been my faves but I need to rewatch #1 and #4 soon, it's been too long.