The Prowler

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Rock, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Rock

Rock Member

OK, just watched this one again for the 1st time in years and have a few thoughts...starts out great but goes downhill FAST, good Tom Savini FX, as usual...whatever happened to wheelchair-bound Major Chatham? Was he lying dead on the other side of that half-opened upstairs bedroom door in his mansion that both Mark & Pam repeatedly ignore? And that last-minute shock in the shower...what was that all about?! Looked like it was meant to be a CARRIE-styled dream sequence but wasn't...definitely one to rent/buy for its FX only.

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I tend to agree with you on that statement!

3. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I, too, watched this one recently after quite a while, and actually enjoyed it a lot more than my first go. The fx aside, I think The Prowler has a lot going for it --- a menacing atmosphere, truely creepy killer, a nice score, the final chase sequence and the "last scare" at the end. Many find that the scenes investigating the building are over long and boring but I didn't feel that way. Good slasher flick with more to offer than gore.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I think this movie is a lot of fun. Good gore, a scare or two, and the disc is really good imho. It isn't the best slasher ever, but it gets the job done. I like the last 30 minutes quite a bit.

5. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i love this film, great killer, love the uniform and awsome
    effects, how this got by the mpaa with an r rating is beyond me.

6. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

a brutal slasher....

Damn we need more of these nasty slashers - I love this one - definitely a keeper and worth a buy...although I still need to buy it - just have the "biggie box"...

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Re: a brutal slasher....

Damn straight we do. If I have one complaint about present day horror movies, it is the lack of really nasty slashers. :cry:

8. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Wasn't the R-rated version cut? Anyway, I think it's a decent slasher flick with some great FX by Mr. Savini.:evil:

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Last year before they came out with the DVD the video store I worked at had the old Big Box vhs of The Prowler, which would be so cool to own. Sure I now own the uncut DVD, but still those Big Boxes are so cool. Sadly my store threw it away because it never got rented. If only I was working that night, I would've done a little dumpster surfing and ganked that bastard. Not that I ever did that.:nervous:

Anyway the Prowler was one of the most vicious horror villians I've seen. He was just plain mean with some of those murders. I thought the movie was good, a little slow at times, but the good parts definitely made up for the not so great parts.

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Ah, one of my all time favorite slashers. Funny coincidence, as I just watched my THE PROWLER DVD last night before bed. Anyhow, THE PROWLER is easily one of the best slashers out their, and the gore by Savini is nothing short of jawdropping! The killer is also very creepy, and
    his demise with the shotgun is fucking fantastic!
    This is really a great little slasher, and any slasher fan owes it to themself to pick it up!

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

The effects are outstanding especially the finale. The camping groundsman who answers the phone is fucking hilarious! :lol: But there are spots in there that tend to drag on for too long. A great movie for what it is and a nice release from BU. :evil:

12. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Prowler was a great slasher and I had a great time watching it. The pool slashing looks good in the movie but doesn't show too long, I watched the behind the scenes footage that was on the DVD and that same throat slashing looks unbelievable!
    I think it's time we see another nasty slasher! I want some more X-rated gore! :D

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

I like THE PROWLER a lot too. Great gore, and a creepy killer. With THE PROWLER and THE FINAL CHAPTER behind his belt, Frank Zito is practically a slasher legend! :)

14. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

Bayonet through the head... SUPOIB!!!

Nick

15. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Major Chatham's disappearance is never explained in the movie. I am amazed that they wasted Lawrence Tierney on such a throwaway character. That being said, The Prowler ranks as one of the great slasher films. I just picked it up last month, and I was not disappointed. Blue Underground did a great job.

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Re: Re: The Prowler

The disc is just superb. I love getting discs where Savini worked on the movie, if the company putting out the disc doesn't suck, you can get great behind the scenes footage.

And the blowing off of the head, I love that scene. One of the best. Hell, maybe I should go fire this baby up right now.

17. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

I loved the behind the scenes feature on the special effects. Watching that actress go through all those takes in the pool was hilarious.

18. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Man, you guys are really making me want the DVD now. I WAS contempt with my old murky, p+s tape, but oh no...

19. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

You must have the DVD. Blue Underground deserves the support for their great efforts in bringing genre films to DVD and giving them grade A presentations.

20. onebyone

onebyone Guest

If you like this movie, you MUST get the dvd. It is a real improvement with great, interesting features. It is one of my favorites in my collection.