The Raven (1935)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Silent Noize, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Has anyone seen this film? It has classic horror legends Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff in it. I first saw this back in 2001 on AMC and thought that it was really good. Lugosi and Karloff really work well on screen together. I heard that they were in a previous film together before The Raven called The Black Cat, but i havent seen that one. Also, is this film (The Raven) available on DVD? I have been looking around but have not found any info on it.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nah, neither The Raven, The Black Cat or The Invisible Ray (another joint picture) are available on DVD, with no word of when either.

I've got The Black Cat and The Raven on Laserdisc and they are some damn fine flix from both. The Black Cat reverses the rolls of Karloff and Lugosi, and I liked it more than The Raven.

3. cricart

cricart Guest

Since Universal released the collections of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman and are about to release the collections of The Mummy, The Creature of the Black Lagoon, and the Invisible man; they should group together "The Black Cat", "The Raven", "The Invisible Ray", "Black Friday" and "The Body Snatcher" under a Collection called for example "Lugosi vs Karloff". Does anybody know of any of such plans? Also I would like to know about any plans for "The Mark of the Vampire". I hope that UNIVERSAL and MGM are copying..... :)

4. cricart

cricart Guest

I just ordered from Australia the collection Boris Karloff Triple. It contains "The Raven", "The Black Cat" and "The Mummy". It retails for less than $10. For anyone with Region Free DVD players, I think it is a bargain. It is probably the only place to get those two movies with Both Bela and Boris on DVD.

Anybody interested go to ezydvd.com.au

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE RAVEN is a good one,a fun teaming of the two horror greats,and it's surprisingly sadistic.I think it was available on a double bill vhs years ago with THE BLACK CAT(maybe my favorite 30s horror film).I really wish they'd put these out on a domestic dvd.

6. cricart

cricart Guest

I wish they would do it too, but for the time being, at least it exists in R4

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What's the quality like? How is tis Mummy are compared to the Universal release - it seems odd Universal would allow someone else to release The Mummy.

8. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Actually, they are on DVD. I have an Aussie DVD with The Mummy, The Raven, and The Black Cat. They look alright, watchable, but the prints are too bright. Still, worth picking up in the meantime.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Lyle, what can I expect cmpared to the Universal release of The Mummy?

I'd love to own there, but are they so bright I wouldn't dare watch them?

Any chance of a capture?

10. cricart

cricart Guest

I have not received mine yet, I just ordered them 3 days ago. They were bright when TMC showed them. Will see.........

11. cricart

cricart Guest

Well, I just got them. I watched part of The Black Cat. It is OK it is watchable. It is better than nothing.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, this was the second film in my double-bill tonight.

I watched this one second, and plot wise - though dressed in different clothes - it follows pretty much the same route as The Black Cat. Here a beautiful girl is driving through the pouring rain when, well, she has an accident. Only one man can save her, sadly he's ever so slightly insane. Falling in love with her, and wanting her for himself, he enlists the aid of a criminal on the run (Karloff) to rid the world of all that might get in the way of his having the woman to himself. Those in his way, a father and fiance, of course have other ideas.

Lugosi is a huge Poe fan, so that gives us some opportunity for a gothic setting - he's converted his basement into a torture chamber. We also get a wonderful interpetive dance sequence to "The Raven", which is actually quite a bit fo fun.

These films were probably never really frightening, and the end here comes across more Film noir than Frankenstein, but hey, I like those too.

The other notable thing here is that Karloff slips into his Frankenstein character once or twice, so if you want to hear that growl one more time, this is your movie.

Nice one.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I revisited this last night. Anyone else get a good laugh at the hysterical scenes at the end of the film, with Lugosi cackling away in the basement? And how comes Lugosi falls onto the floor - but off screen - at the end?

Still loved it though. Karloff's make-up is indeed pretty good (although DVD really exposes its origins). Also liked the scene where Lugosi is telling the assembled guests about Poe. Look at the lead lady, as she gets up her long gown has gotten trapped in the sofa, and she has to give it a tug.

Oh, these are the good ones!