The Raven (Corman)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, May 2, 2005.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Dipped back into my Corman collection tonight to view "The Raven". Fun little film, though perhaps a little light (certainly light on a gothic atmosphere). Played for laughs, but we do get meaty roles for Price, Karloff and Lorre.

Oh, and Jack Nicholson is hilarious in an early role (laughing at him, I should note.

Of course, this one has aged a little less well than some of the others due to the SFX. They do look rather silly by today's standards. Also note I have the R2 MGM Midnite Movie, and it's quite poor. A low-contrast print with some, what look like, VHS inserts. Only a trailer as an extra. I don't know what the R1 is like.

I know the Midnite Movies get plaudits, but while I appreciate the catalog, the transfers continue to underwhlem me.

Oh well, anyone else appreciate some Raven? Surely the opening sequence alone, with a Raven against the (what apepars to be) credit sequence from Pit and the Pendulum, and Price narrating, reading the original poem - is worth the price of entry? What do you think?

2. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I watched this flick the other night along with Comedy of Terrors. I had bought the set mostly for Comedy of Terrors as the idea of the wizard stuff didn't really appeal to me, but it turned out that I enjoyed The Raven a lot more. Interestingly, the ad campaign didn't let the movie goers know that it was a comedy at all. The best thing about the film was that either Price/Lorre or Karloff always seemed to be on screen.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I also just watched it a couple months back on the DVD double feature with Comedy of Terrors. The Raven was one Price movie I had not yet seen in it's entirety. I'd seen half of it on TV before, and thought it was okay...but after watching the entire movie I really enjoyed it. Lorre and Karloff rounded off a stellar cast!

I remember the DVD transfer to be pretty good. Not stellar or anything, but I don't remember it being lackluster or distracting from actually enjoying the movie. The only MGM Midnight Movies DVD transfer in which I was disappointed with was An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe from 1972, which was a short TV movie that came from a video source.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A great teaming of three horror icons having a good laugh.Lots of fun.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Is the R2 anamorphic? Glad to hear the transfer of the R1 is good - any extras?

6. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

One of my all time favorites - really the perfect vehicle for Price. The image sadly can probably not be much improved upon.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I read a review online in which the reviewer says he saw a more pristine version on TV one night, but it could be hogwash.

8. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

That would be pretty sweet if true. I'd double dip on it if a higher quality version came out.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It's been a couple of years since I’ve seen it but I would have to say the Raven is the Corman/Price film that I enjoyed the least. I found it a bit tedious, not funny and definitely without any chills. Maybe I’ll give it another shot one of these days but I really wasn’t impressed after my first viewing.