The Redeemer (aka Class Reunion Massacre)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The building itself was the former Staunton, VA Military Academy.

To my surprise, my DVD arrived today. It shipped Monday from Amazon, but I used the cheapest shipping method, so for it to be here today was unexpected.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but what is Amazon prime Kat?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Never heard of Prestige. They ship 98% of my orders by UPS, and the rest by FedEx. I can't remember getting a package from Amazon past when they said it would arrive, except for the occasional Winter weather delay.

A membership where you pay $79 a year, and virtually anything sold from Amazon gets 2-day shipping, or $3.99 extra for overnight shipping. Size/weight and item prices don't matter, even if it's a toothbrush for $2.00

Not a good deal for everyone, but if you order a lot of stuff like I do it's well worth it. They often offer free trials of Prime where you can try it out free for a few months.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  4. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

Seems like it'd be a cool place to visit. If it's still standing anyway.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Just watched my copy, and while the look of the print was fitting, the reel changes were a nuisance. Cutting off lines of dialogue and, as mentioned earlier, intruding on a death scene, they make the film come off as more disjointed than it actually is. Also, when it cuts to the scene between John and the Redeemer in the library, they're already face to face. Oh well, though, I'm glad to have it in widescreen and the print certainly looks sharper than any of my various VHS tapes. Now, if it ever gets a Blu release (yeah right!), my collection will truly be complete! :D

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone has yet to compare code reds DVD to the old $1 bootleg? I'm referring to the east/west class reunion massacre DVD. I do recall reading somewhere someone claiming the bootleg has better picture quality.

[​IMG]

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I can't imagine that being true. Maybe if the person was watching on a 12" black and white full frame tv :p

8. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yes, much of the film was shot at the Staunton Military Academy in Staunton, Virginia. Unfortunately, the actual academy no longer stands.

Staunton Military Academy

According to Wikipedia, the academy closed in 1976. This closure is likely what allowed filming to take place.

9. Katatonia

LOL, I popped in this double feature DVD after playing the new DVD the other night. I can't imagine anyone thinking the transfer on the old $1 DVD is better. It's murky, faded, and more compressed. It's basically just taken from an old VHS tape.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Not everybody has that sweet set up like you do. Hope your able to find the pliers to turn the nob on your TV.

Are you laughing at me or something Kat? :confused:

I wonder if anyone has compared the code red DVD to other bootlegs. For example I know flesh wound video claimed to have a solid 9/10 copy. I'd love to be able to compare both versions myself. I don't buy bootlegs or support bootlegs. I still think it would be an interesting analysis.

[​IMG]

11. Katatonia

No Dobby, it's just funny that someone else would say the transfer on the old $1 DVD looks better. :nervous: There's really just no comparison, the Code Red transfer (while interlaced and far from perfect) is superior in every way.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Oh ok fair enough and understood good to hear! I'd love to see a comparisons between code reds Redeemer & other bootlegs. I'm sure there is bound to be hundreds of Class Reunion Massacre bootlegs all over the world.

13. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Checked out the disc last night.

The old Continental VHS/$1.00 East West DVD - Cleaner print, but fuzzy. When I took screencaps for my review over at Oh, the Horror!, I had difficulty finding bits that looked good paused due to the fuzziness.

Code Red DVD - Much more crisp of a print as far as pic quality. The Redeemer's first victim is shot in the neck and in this print, you can see the nasty neck wound grue much more clearly than in previous editions of the movie (so much so, that I at first thought it may have been an uncut bit that was reinserted in the film). The bad news is that the condition of the print is much rougher and dirtier than others as well. It looks almost as if coal is raining from the sky at times. As the movie goes on, you can kind of tune it out, though. The large marker streaks filling the entire length of the screen occasionally were pretty hard to miss, though. Also, the colors are generally faded and soft, like an old photograph. With an adequate budget, I think this definitely could have been cleaned up and properly remastered. The reality is, this is such a forgotten film with such a small built-in fanbase, that very few companies (let alone Code Red) would be willing to spend the kind of money it would take to restore such a rough print. I will say that if Code Red releases The Mutilator in quality similar to this, I honestly wouldn't mind at all as long as it's the unrated cut.

It's worth noting, though... the condition of neither disc is perfect and neither takes away from the enjoyment of the film. In fact, if the "grindhouse feel" gives bonus points in your book, the Code Red DVD is the perfect way to experience the film.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad this unsung gem has finally been given a legit DVD release. Hopefully, The Redeemer will find a whole slew of new followers, and the rest of you will see what I've been talking about when I've been singing its praises for the last several years.

If it says "Class Reunion Massacre" then it's just a rip of the VHS, as that was the only time that title was used in relation to the film. No different than the East West DVD.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I like the grindhouse look the film has with all the print damage. If the print had been cleaned up it would be a completely different experience. I'm not one to tear movies apart but this one is long overdue. While I absolutely love the film I equaly hate how it makes no sense. The person who is the Redeemer can not be in 3 different places at once. So I just said to myself ok this is a supernatural slasher. The film was way ahead of the slasher craze so it's not as polished. The ending makes no fucking sense at all.

It really feels like a student experimental movie gone wrong. While I do feel they were trying to make something unique. I can also understand why this film became obscure. The ironic thing that gets me is how much better this film is compared to the shit that passes for cinema nowadays. They just don't make weird crazy ass movie like this one anymore. Which is the main reason why I like watching lost films. I get a high level of pleasure I just can't get from newer movies.

15. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I love the grindhouse/drive-in feel of Code Red's Redeemer, but I'm glad I still has the old Continental VHS of Class Reunion Massacre. I should make a DVD-R of it.

16. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

What gets cut off on the new DVD?

17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

^ The last several seconds of the shotgun death are gone. Following the drowning death, we cut to the library where John and the Redeemer are already face to face. Normally, we see the latter show up and John rise from the chair. When the group is eating and wondering why no one else has shown up, John and Jane are talking about making a phone call and some of their dialogue is cut off. Also, the tail-end of Cindy's introduction scene is all screwed up both picture and sound-wise.

18. Katatonia

That's unfortunate. Could it be that the original theatrical cut differed from the later Class Reunion Massacre home video cut?

Looks like I'll hang on to my old $1 DVD after all.

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Well I'm just happy as is to finally have an official release. Even though it's not perfect it's still an enjoyable mess. Can anybody confirm if the original VHS has better/or equal picture quality over the $1 DVD?

20. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I can certainly confirm that the Continental VHS version looks damn near pristine compared to that awful bootleg DVD floating around dollar stores everywhere. The colors are more rich/saturated, the print itself is very bright and beautiful, etc.

I haven't picked up the new DVD yet, but I can't wait. I always thought it was a fantastic little supernatural slasher pic. Really underrated.