The Rental - July 24th, 2020 (IFC Midnight)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 4, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Opening in theaters and VOD July 24

Directed by: Dave Franco
    Starring: Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Sheila Vand, Jeremy Allen White, Toby Huss

Two couples on an oceanside getaway grow suspicious that the host of their seemingly perfect rental house may be spying on them. Before long, what should have been a celebratory weekend trip turns into something far more sinister, as well-kept secrets are exposed and the four old friends come to see each other in a whole new light.

2. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be fun!

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Stopped at the shower scene. Looks good, it's on my list now.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Good looking trailer. Definitely looks like it'll be worth a watch.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Rented The Rental last night (see what I did there?). It's not a bad watch, definitely held my interest, but it's nothing you haven't seen before. Everyone in the movie is pretty unlikable except Allison Brie's character. The movie was co-written by Joe Swanberg, and definitely feels like one of his movies (a small group of hipster-ish friends in a single location). So if you've seen his movies like Digging For Fire, Drinking Buddies, etc, that's basically the first 45 minutes of this movie, except with some sinister overtones. From there, the thriller aspects come into play for the next half-hour or so, before going full-on slasher movie in the final 15 minutes.

It's IFC Midnight, so I imagine it will be on Hulu in a few months. If you like slow-burn indies like Entrance (also IFC Midnight), it's worth a look.

6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed by this, even though I went in with resevered expectations. The first act of this film is a complete chore to sit through, with the horror elements far too much subdued - consisting of things like "the dog is acting kind of weird" and "the guy who rents the place out is an asshole and somewhat suspicious" - and it really tested my patience. When we finally get to the action is zipped by far too quickly and the next thing you know it's over. I don't mind a slow burn, but when the tension is mostly absence and you have nothing but melodrama to fall back on I can't say it was worth the while. I think Dave Franco has a bright future as a director - horror or otherwise - but he needs to stear clear from Swanberg if he wants to grow.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I did recently watch a Chris Stuckman review for this and he was left very underwhelmed. Sounds like the film is rather boring and not the suspenseful mystery at a beach house that the trailer seemed to promise. Probably not going to bother with this one now.

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the movie yet. But these guys just posted a review. Many times their horror and other reviews are more entertaining than the actual movie. They have a bunch of horror reviews. At times, I'll go back or search to find a review for a laugh. That sequel to The Boy review was a funny one even though I have no interest in watching that movie.