The return of combo discs

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on Universal, but what's so bad about Warner? Is everyone still bitching about how when they initially marketed blu-rays, the audio wasn't lossless? They've stopped doing that guys...

In terms of remastering, most Warner transfers rival those of Criterion. They're probably the best major studio out there right now when it comes to remastering catalog titles. They also keep the original artwork for their DVD/blu-ray cases (well...most of them anyway).

But yeah what I don't understand is...why is Universal marketing blu-ray/DVD combos NOW? It's been like 3 years since blu-ray arrived on the market and they decide NOW to start releasing blu-ray/DVD flipper combos? Fuck that. I don't care if they release Jaws, if it's a flipper, they can go fuck themselves. They are the WORST company right now when it comes to releasing blu-rays. Their special features suck, the catalog titles they've released have been mostly shit. They have some amazing films in their vaults (American Graffiti, Back to the Future, Jaws, The Sting, Double Indemnity, Play Misty For Me, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Deer Hunter, High Plains Drifter, a shitload of Hitchcock films, John Hughes films, etc) but have we seen ANY of these? Fuck no. Instead we get The Mummy and all its shitty sequels, and the fucking Fast and the Furious movies. Come on Universal, smarten the fuck up!

~Matt

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

unless there's something im unaware of, i gotta agree with matt. seems like half the movies i'm buying are Warner Bros. im consistently impressed by the effort they put into their discs. great movies, with great features. and as far as blu ray goes, the a/v is pretty awesome too.

but im curious. what did you mean by lousy quality control, katatonia?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Warner has screwed up a lot as far as manufacturing problems. The Blade Runner Blu-ray repress was a complete mess, with them mixing up the discs and labels. I had to go through three sets before I received a correct set.

There was the Superman DVD set fiasco a few years back, the Blu-ray Terminator 3 interlaced flaw.

I've also bought several TV Box Sets from them that had discs which had deep scratches and nicks, and skipped in all of my players and software data verification programs. They couldn't be fixed, they were D.O.A.

One other TV set had duplicates of other discs, so of course that had to be returned.

Not long ago, I received a Blu-ray direct from Warner that was actually sliced in half...inside the sealed case which itself was flawless.

Quite simply, Warner = Poor Manufacturing quality controls.

They really don't always do a swell job on their Blu-rays even now either. The recent Logan's Run ported over the old bonus materials, but they actually looked far superior on the old DVD. For some reason, they ported them over "Interlaced" and of lesser visual quality, plus the Trailer was only Letterbox instead of 16x9 like the old DVD from 2000.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I've never had a problem with a single Warner DVD or blu-ray. That really sucks that you've had so much bad luck (although I did hear about the duplicated discs on the Blade Runner and Superman sets).

But in terms of their transfers, they're amazing. They use original elements for their audio (they don't add extra effects - like Universal did with Jaws), they don't digitally alter their films, they don't use DNR, their transfers always look "film-like". Of course there are rare exceptions, but for the most part, IMO they're probably the most consistent of the major studios in terms of quality.

~Matt

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

hadn't heard about the blade runner issue, although i do remember the superman thing.

6. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Fuck this. Fuck all the digital copies and SD dvds also. All are unnecessary added costs to screw consumers. And most of all fuck flipper discs. We like artwork on a disc, not something to signal ships when we are stranded on an island.

7. I gotta agree with everyone else in this thread, I hate flipper discs. This is not going to go over well. Why can't they do like they've been doing? The blu-ray on one disc and dvd on the 2nd disc is a much better way to go in my oppinion. How much do you guys wanna bet that they will still give an entire disc to those useless digital copies?

8. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

No interest in this...bad idea in my opinion.